BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More video's from this past weekend

+2
knrclark
69bluehotrod
6 posters

Go down

More video's from this past weekend Empty More video's from this past weekend

Post  69bluehotrod December 5th 2013, 10:29 pm

Hopefully these youtube vids play a bit better sorry they are shakey in some spots...

https://youtu.be/dl6JST3hnEM

https://youtu.be/UNxeQuN5BUI

https://youtu.be/9XaESD3RnEo
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

More video's from this past weekend Empty Re: More video's from this past weekend

Post  knrclark December 6th 2013, 11:19 pm

My God that is one pretty car.
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

More video's from this past weekend Empty Re: More video's from this past weekend

Post  69bluehotrod December 6th 2013, 11:30 pm

thanks man
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 7th 2013, 2:51 am

Man I really like the color, damn good looking car. Twisted Evil 

How was the second video made? It's so smooth & doesn't have hardly any bad shake/wobble. Almost like the camera was floating, or on a moving tripod or camera crane.

In the second video I can see some inital rear separation planting the tire real good at the hit. Then as it starts to move foward it then squats a bunch (maybe as the loading on the wheelie bars increases). The secondary squating action does happen fairly quickly, and then also stops real quickly too. Almost like either the rear shocks bottomed out quickly (on their snubbers) & instantly stopped compressing, or like the wheelie bars possibly reached their "full flex" point real quickly and no more movement was allowed to happen.

Where is the I/C at & how tight is the rear shock extension & compression settings?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 7th 2013, 1:40 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Man I really like the color, damn good looking car. Twisted Evil 

How was the second video made? It's so smooth & doesn't have hardly any bad shake/wobble. Almost like the camera was floating, or on a moving tripod or camera crane.

In the second video I can see some inital rear separation planting the tire real good at the hit. Then as it starts to move foward it then squats a bunch (maybe as the loading on the wheelie bars increases). The secondary squating action does happen fairly quickly, and then also stops real quickly too. Almost like either the rear shocks bottomed out quickly (on their snubbers) & instantly stopped compressing, or like the wheelie bars possibly reached their "full flex" point real quickly and no more movement was allowed to happen.

Where is the I/C at & how tight is the rear shock extension & compression settings?  
Dave the 2nd vid was cleaned up on youtube "enhancments" was just playing around with their editing stuff....

the shocks (Strang dlb adj) are set dead in the middle and seem to be working ok, may need to firm the compression one click.
I don't think its actually getting on the wheelie bars cause the wheels don't look to have touched the pavement. only 8-9 passes so far before I snaped the teeth off the ring gear....
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg December 7th 2013, 6:05 pm

Really good looking car!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 7th 2013, 7:33 pm

Thanks Valley!!
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 7th 2013, 10:56 pm

Dave, the IC is all but "neutral" just a tiny bit below the "anti-squat" line, thinking about bringing the bottom bar up 1 hole but will wait to see how it reacts with the 4.86 gears.
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 7th 2013, 11:19 pm

69bluehotrod wrote:Dave, the IC is all but "neutral"  just a tiny bit below the "anti-squat" line, thinking about bringing the bottom bar up 1 hole but will wait to see how it reacts with the 4.86 gears.
How far out from the rear housing & up from the ground is the I/C placed? If your bottom bars are running downhill (from housing to the chassis) at a decent angle, that can sometimes make a car squat more than expected/compress-screw the sidewalls into the ground more then expected. This is because (and partly depending on power numbers) an increased bottom bar angle can be trying to push less "forward" & more "down" then a bottom bar that's at/close to being level.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 8th 2013, 12:09 am

Sweet! Cool 
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 8th 2013, 8:57 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
69bluehotrod wrote:Dave, the IC is all but "neutral"  just a tiny bit below the "anti-squat" line, thinking about bringing the bottom bar up 1 hole but will wait to see how it reacts with the 4.86 gears.
How far out from the rear housing & up from the ground is the I/C placed? If your bottom bars are running downhill (from housing to the chassis) at a decent angle, that can sometimes make a car squat more than expected/compress-screw the sidewalls into the ground more then expected. This is because (and partly depending on power numbers) an increased bottom bar angle can be trying to push less "forward" & more "down" then a bottom bar that's at/close to being level.
Dave I/m getting all info on chassis set up from when I had it scaled.
? for you, does it look like its hitting the tires too hard to you?
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 9th 2013, 1:19 am

69bluehotrod wrote:..........? for you, does it look like its hitting the tires too hard to you?
Hard to judge since there's not many passes on the car yet. But IMO (at this point anyway) the 2nd video shows initial hit/suspension separation-extension is compressing the sidewalls a decent amount, but probably isn't what I would call excessive or too violent when first sorting out a car. The extension distance at the hit, (while hard to judge the exact distance on video), looks to me to be anywhere from 1.25" to maybe 1.5" of separation. If you think the initial hit is a little too violent, tighter rear shock extension valving adjustment should help calm/slow down the initial extension speed/distance to help increase wheel speed a little. It did look to be pretty much dead hooked & wind the sidewall up a bunch, and for a long period of time. But that could also be more of an air pressure deal than the suspension hit, although I didn't really see any wrinkles in the sidewall as the car staged (like can happen if the air pressure was way too low). Only more testing will help say for sure if it would want more wheel speed, or if it wants to be dead hooked.

I do think the secondary squat action (after the initial hit) did happen a little too fast/too deep. If the wheelie bars in fact didn't get any loading during the launch, (or have an effect on the secondary action), then the rear compression valving might be adjusted a little too loose, or the I/C might be a little too long, or too low, (or both).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 9th 2013, 7:04 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:

IC = 51.3129
bottom bar = 5.1209 off the ground (7.5 at the housing 4-link bracket)

here is the scale sheet Dave
More video's from this past weekend CCI12092013_zps494db89e

and heres the 4-link plot
More video's from this past weekend 4-linkplot_zps267da8a7

Last edited by 69bluehotrod on December 9th 2013, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 9th 2013, 8:26 pm

69blue, What gears were you using in the vids? And what are your 60' times like now?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 9th 2013, 9:04 pm

maverick wrote:69blue,  What gears were you using in the vids?  And what are your 60' times like now?

Gears were 4.56 with 60' 1.21 - 1.23  
broke a few of the pinion teeth off...
More video's from this past weekend Broke3rd_zps04bdf0f9

so I have not got the new 3third member
More video's from this past weekend Mw3rd_zpsb7b4c33c
from Mark Williams yet
ordered it with a 4.86
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 9th 2013, 9:59 pm

The reason I ask is because I see some of the same symptoms in my car. It was built for 1/4 mile with 4.29 gears. Most of the racing around here is 1/8 mi. so I swapped in a 4.86. The car is both quicker and faster now, but the 4.86's have aggravated the launch...it's murdering the slicks now. Adjusting the 4-link has helped some, and I'm going to ditch the Goodyears and try a stiff sidewall Hoosier. I may also compromise with 4.56 gears.

I'll be waiting to see how your 4.86's work for you.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 10th 2013, 2:58 am

The current I/C placement of 51.3" x 5.1" really doesn't look too bad IMO as a starting point. I was thinking it was a lot farther out and/or lower than it actually is because of how much the car is squatting, but the somewhat loose compression valving setting (5 from full tight) might be a part of the cause. What does surprise me is how fast/how much the rear is initially separating at the hit given that the extension valving is currently so tight (2 from full tight).

Another thing to think about is with the weight at almost 2600lbs & close to a 50/50 bias, the 110 pound rear springs might be just a little light. If you're having to crank up the spring seats a bunch to hit the 16" rear shock center to center ride height they probably are too light. But if the 16" C/C is reached with the spring seats sitting at/close to the bottom of the shock body threads then the 110 spring rate is most likely in the ballpark & probably good.

Looking at that diagram if you raise the front of the bottom bar one hole, that should put the bar almost level with the ground, and place the I/C about 45-46" out, and maybe about 6.9-7.25" off the ground. That combined with a little tighter rear compression setting could slow/calm the squat some. But at the same time the higher/shorter I/C could also increase the initial hit separation.

The best idea probably is to just wait and see what effect the gear change has before making any bar changes. And even after that I would look at air pressure adjustments & shock extension/compressing adjustments before making a bar change. Might also want to paint/shoe polish the wheelie bar wheels to get an idea just how much loading they are seeing (or raise them up some to get them a little more out of the picture for now).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod December 10th 2013, 11:39 pm

[quote="DILLIGASDAVE"]The current I/C placement of 51.3" x 5.1" really doesn't look too bad IMO as a starting point. I was thinking it was a lot farther out and/or lower than it actually is because of how much the car is squatting, but the somewhat loose compression valving setting (5 from full tight) might be a part of the cause. What does surprise me is how fast/how much the rear is initially separating at the hit given that the extension valving is currently so tight (2 from full tight).

Another thing to think about is with the weight at almost 2600lbs & close to a 50/50 bias, the 110 pound rear springs might be just a little light. If you're having to crank up the spring seats a bunch to hit the 16" rear shock center to center ride height they probably are too light. But if the 16" C/C is reached with the spring seats sitting at/close to the bottom of the shock body threads then the 110 spring rate is most likely in the ballpark & probably good.

Looking at that diagram if you raise the front of the bottom bar one hole, that should put the bar almost level with the ground, and place the I/C about 45-46" out, and maybe about 6.9-7.25" off the ground. That combined with a little tighter rear compression setting could slow/calm the squat some. But at the same time the higher/shorter I/C could also increase the initial hit separation.

The best idea probably is to just wait and see what effect the gear change has before making any bar changes. And even after that I would look at air pressure adjustments & shock extension/compressing adjustments before making a bar change. Might also want to paint/shoe polish the wheelie bar wheels to get an idea just how much loading they are seeing (or raise them up some to get them a little more out of the picture for now).[/quote]

This is what I had planned on, was even thinking of leaving the sissy bars off cause it is not acting like it wants to "sky" the front end.
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down