BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions.

+6
466cj
bigblok2000ranger
richter69
85bigblockfox
cool40
BigRigTech
10 posters

Go down

Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions. Empty Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions.

Post  BigRigTech December 11th 2013, 1:17 pm

I mailed a MO on Monday to Dave F. to purchase the worked A429 heads used on the project "cheapskate" build so now that I have some better heads on the way I'm considering a larger SFT cam. To get this done, I don't think I will have enough $$$ left to go roller cam at this time. I also bought a victor intake from him as well, square bore. This should be my package for 2014, I'm replacing the pistons with forged slugs and having it all balanced. Looking for some cam recommendations from the builders and racers. Very Happy My current setup makes 490HP based off my weight and ET/MPH, it dyno'd at 475hp/502 with a 750HP carb/OFFY single plane intake and worn out duraspark that had issues. 91 octane pump gas used. I've been running 50/50 pump/av gas at the track but I will be running the AV gas straight now. I'm thinking 575-600HP is likely if I stayed with the cam I have now? The cheapskate build had the same basic bottom end with more carb and cam - it made 681hp/601ftlbs.

I also bought one of Frank's C6 t-brake VB builds used as well from Mike - aka "dirt_worker" and I have a delay box to go in the car too....It's time to stop screwing around with the footbrake/crappy RT's in Super Pro and try to run with the big dogs so I can get some round wins....LOL Rolling Eyes 

472 cid BBF, forged flat tops, block is decked to piston height .002" down in the hole
12-13:1 static compression ratio likely based on piston selection (heads cut to 62cc)
Eagle SIR H-beam rods
"Cheapskate" A429 heads, ported (391/200)
Current bumpstick - Comp solid flat  - 294 advertised duration, .605"/.605" lift, 248/248 dur @ .050" lift, 110* C/L
Howards solid lifters (.021" laser drilled for cam lobe direct oiling)
PRW stainless roller rockers, 1.7 ratio, 7/16" stud mount
PRW stud girdle
Manley/Comp cams pushrods
Melling HV oil pump, ARP pump shaft
Cloyes double roller timing set
PRW balancer (internally balanced engine)
MSD-6AL, MSD coil and wires, re-curved duraspark distributor (maxed out at 20* mech advance with lighter springs)
PRW electric water pump
Victor intake, square bore
Holley 850dp carb, no rear power valve, 3.5 in the front
Hooker super comps, 2" primaries with 3.5" collectors
RPC crank case evac kit
14" air cleaner with 4" K/N filter and filter top
FRPP fox body oil pan swap kit

Last edited by BigRigTech on December 11th 2013, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions. Empty Re: Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions.

Post  cool40 December 11th 2013, 2:52 pm

I'd stay with the same cam and get the roller asap.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 11th 2013, 2:59 pm

That has crossed my mind, but - not having a roller lifter to fail is one thing I don't have to worrry about with a SFT cam. I guess it all comes back to what the quality is of the parts used. Wink  I'm just happy to see another 60lbs off the front of the car. Cool 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 11th 2013, 3:15 pm

Not a thing wrong with a sft.it may even be best for your setup.unless you plan on a lot bigger cam stay with it. Im not a cam guru but more duration would be a big plus.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox December 11th 2013, 4:35 pm

Might try a bigger carb. I have a 1050 dominator on my 466 with dove heads and it loves it. We did try a 4150 victor intake with a 850 holley. My car picked up .4 with the 4500 victor and 1050.
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 11th 2013, 5:06 pm

That seems to be a common theme. Stuff left on the table for down the road as funds allow. 1faststang has a 1050 for sale here locally, if I had the $$$ right now I'd grab it.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 11th 2013, 6:14 pm

1050 and bigger sft cam for the budget win......

Back in the day I ran a Schneider 631/631 258/262 at 0.050 108 ls in a dove headed 466 and it ran very well.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 11th 2013, 6:17 pm

Howards has a couple grinds that look interesting and close to those spec's.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger December 11th 2013, 7:42 pm

BigRigTech wrote:Howards has a couple grinds that look interesting and close to those spec's.

Howards, Schnieder, and Elgin are all in the same building about an hour away in Oshkosh, WI Competition Products is the store front part of the building.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 December 11th 2013, 8:38 pm

BigRigTech wrote:Howards has a couple grinds that look interesting and close to those spec's.
im sure some of the builders on here could help you out with a good cam. Wink 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 11th 2013, 11:44 pm

cool40 wrote:
im sure some of the builders on here could help you out with a good cam. Wink 

That's what I'm hoping for, I'm curious to see what they suggest.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj December 12th 2013, 2:34 am

BTW given the specs you listed and a .042" head gasket your CR is 13.58. Am assuming a single valve notch about 3.5cc

I'd say you will want to run race gas or E85 at that CR. Can make use of a lot bigger cam. That one Richter69 mentioned is a nice one. A solid roller certainly may make most power, but can get expensive. A good solid flat tappet cam, Victor and a dominator, right converter and gear be a runner!

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 12th 2013, 3:11 am

I had Randy make me a sft cam for my 460  flat top piston and home ported dove-c heads with a victor intake and 1050 alky carb ,cam  lift is .649 in and .642 ex 110 c/l  duro 260 in 271 ex  @ .050.  The truck 3265# c6 footbrake with 4.86 gears rpm limit at 6500 ran 6.70s in the 1/8.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra December 12th 2013, 6:20 am

A few weeks ago i had Lem make a custom grind sft for the 552'' p51 deal I'm putting together for a buddy, and all i'll say is its a biggin  Shocked , but my buddy did the same thing he knew he was leaving about 50hp not going with a roller but didn't want to spend the extra $1000 plus at this point.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra December 12th 2013, 6:34 am

To give you a idea of what's possible with your combo now , Melvyn 514fox87 on here has been 9.20's with his 466 with ported a429's that didn't flow as well as yours , he's at 14to1 compression and is using a solid roller from Lem  , and the weight is 2950-3000 in a small tire fox hatch
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 12th 2013, 8:34 am

nuclearcobra wrote:To give you a idea of what's possible with your combo now , Melvyn 514fox87 on here has been 9.20's with his 466 with ported a429's that didn't flow as well as yours , he's at 14to1 compression and is using a solid roller from Lem  , and the weight is 2950-3000 in a small tire fox hatch

That thing is workin'... affraid .....Low's tens is all I'm after for now, still running stock GT front disc's and 12" drums on the rear. I want to run AV gas so my piston selection will reflect that. Race fuel is not easy to get here and expensive, 100 octane AV gas is $2.25/L and easy to get. My buddy buy's it by the barrel and I get what I need from him. He has 13:1 compression and when he dyno'd his 383 SBC he lost power with C12 when they tried switching fuel...It made 640HP on AV gas, 628HP on C12. Randy is the closest to me for a custom grind to save some shipping costs. Dave offered me the cam and lifters from "Cheapskate" but I'm tapped out until xmas is over and I would still kinda' prefer a SFT cam. Wink ....If I go with what I have it would be nice to know there is a bunch more HP to be had with minor changes...Keep the competition guessing on what I have this week....LOL
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Cam swap thoughts and HP opinions. Empty Pro form main body swap

Post  manofmerc December 17th 2013, 7:47 am

You have an 850 it should have a 13/4 throttle body A pro form 950 or a 1000 cfm main body would give you some cfm on the cheap .And even with your new heads a dual pattern sft camshaft should work better than the single pattern cam you are currently running .On my comet I intend on swaping my 950 with annular boosters to a 1000 cfm with downleg boosters and I went from a performer rpm airgap to a victor .My previous best et has been a 6.88 in the eigth mile .I always enjoy your posts big rig good to hear about your improvements .Good luck and merry xmas! Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 17th 2013, 8:35 am

Thanks Doug, it's all about money this winter...Once I have bought all the "must have to run" parts I'll get a cam if the funds are there. I'm doing a few other things to the car too like building a new tranny to put my Merkl t-brake VB in and hopefully painting the car as well. I'm getting started on the car this week. You could ask 100 people for cam opinions and get 100 different answers, I know there are better choices out there but I can't complain about what I have, it served me well this summer. Very Happy 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 19th 2013, 2:54 pm

Once you've received the flow sheets for the cylinder heads purchased and are intended for your application, get with your cam guy.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 19th 2013, 3:52 pm

I wish I had one here. Nobody in that line of work anywhere near me. Most likely I'll give Randy a call, he's the closest to me geographically so that reduces shipping cost and time. Wink I'm not touching my 468 until I have the $$$ to make the changes in hand, it's coming out of the car and going on the stand in case I have to run it "as is" in the spring.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 19th 2013, 9:19 pm

BigRigTech wrote:I mailed a MO on Monday to Dave F. to purchase the worked A429 heads used on the project "cheapskate" build so now that I have some better heads on the way I'm considering a larger SFT cam. To get this done, I don't think I will have enough $$$ left to go roller cam at this time. I also bought a victor intake from him as well, square bore. This should be my package for 2014, I'm replacing the pistons with forged slugs and having it all balanced. Looking for some cam recommendations from the builders and racers. Very Happy My current setup makes 490HP based off my weight and ET/MPH, it dyno'd at 475hp/502 with a 750HP carb/OFFY single plane intake and worn out duraspark that had issues. 91 octane pump gas used. I've been running 50/50 pump/av gas at the track but I will be running the AV gas straight now. I'm thinking 575-600HP is likely if I stayed with the cam I have now? The cheapskate build had the same basic bottom end with more carb and cam - it made 681hp/601ftlbs.

I also bought one of Frank's C6 t-brake VB builds used as well from Mike - aka "dirt_worker" and I have a delay box to go in the car too....It's time to stop screwing around with the footbrake/crappy RT's in Super Pro and try to run with the big dogs so I can get some round wins....LOL Rolling Eyes 

472 cid BBF, forged flat tops, block is decked to piston height .002" down in the hole
12-13:1 static compression ratio likely based on piston selection (heads cut to 62cc)
Eagle SIR H-beam rods
"Cheapskate" A429 heads, ported (391/200)
Current bumpstick - Comp solid flat  - 294 advertised duration, .605"/.605" lift, 248/248 dur @ .050" lift, 110* C/L
Howards solid lifters (.021" laser drilled for cam lobe direct oiling)
PRW stainless roller rockers, 1.7 ratio, 7/16" stud mount
PRW stud girdle
Manley/Comp cams pushrods
Melling HV oil pump, ARP pump shaft
Cloyes double roller timing set
PRW balancer (internally balanced engine)
MSD-6AL, MSD coil and wires, re-curved duraspark distributor (maxed out at 20* mech advance with lighter springs)
PRW electric water pump
Victor intake, square bore
Holley 850dp carb, no rear power valve, 3.5 in the front
Hooker super comps, 2" primaries with 3.5" collectors
RPC crank case evac kit
14" air cleaner with 4" K/N filter and filter top
FRPP fox body oil pan swap kit

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech December 20th 2013, 12:01 am

I know I know....I'm not feeding the monster all it will eat....I basically went from racing a 14 second street car one day a summer to running a 10 second S/Pro car. Now I'm adding more power and a t-brake, taking 60lbs off the nose all of which will likely result with my car leaving with the wheels hanging. Yet another new experience that I'll need to get comfortable with. I could copy the Cheapskate build exactly, but that would put me into the 9's and I'm not sure myself or my car is ready for that yet. I just couldn't pass on these heads for the price, so my line of credit took a hit to make it happen....The wife even went along with it because I had some cash to throw in.... affraid 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down