a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  schmitty on December 18th 2013, 9:44 am

There is more to it than just billet caps, it also has a cam tunnel machined for roller cam bearings. If you need that kind of a foundation for your build, then yes it is worth the extra $$$. You will have about another $1000 in it by the time you get all of the necessary machining done.  Cool 
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  cool40 on December 18th 2013, 10:00 am

schmitty wrote:There is more to it than just billet caps, it also has a cam tunnel machined for roller cam bearings.  If you need that kind of a foundation for your build, then yes it is worth the extra $$$.  You will have about another $1000 in it by the time you get all of the necessary machining done.  Cool 
how do you figure that $1000? I wanted a bigger bore than mine came with but it didn't need any machine work.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  schmitty on December 18th 2013, 11:23 am

Bore/hone, check cam tunnel, line bore, and size lifter bores to your lifter diameter, will all add up. I know that it sounds high, and might be depending on who you use for a machine shop, but it's always better to figure costs on the high side, just in case.
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  cool40 on December 18th 2013, 12:11 pm

schmitty wrote:Bore/hone, check cam tunnel, line bore, and size lifter bores to your lifter diameter, will all add up.  I know that it sounds high, and might be depending on who you use for a machine shop, but it's always better to figure costs on the high side, just in case.
if I bought a new block that needs all that I wouldn't want another one. Lol
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Curt on December 18th 2013, 1:02 pm

cool40 wrote:
schmitty wrote:Bore/hone, check cam tunnel, line bore, and size lifter bores to your lifter diameter, will all add up.  I know that it sounds high, and might be depending on who you use for a machine shop, but it's always better to figure costs on the high side, just in case.
if I bought a new block that needs all that I wouldn't want another one. Lol

If you bought a new block and didn't do all that, you're either lucky or asking for very expensive problems.
avatar
Curt

Posts : 2661
Join date : 2009-02-08
Age : 56
Location : Henrietta, Texas but mostly on the road

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  MustangDan on December 18th 2013, 1:09 pm

I don't necessarily need the roller cam bearings and I can get all the machine work done for around 300

MustangDan

Posts : 140
Join date : 2013-12-13
Location : cincinnati Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  J.Toney on December 18th 2013, 1:24 pm

MustangDan wrote:I don't necessarily need the roller cam bearings and I can get all the machine work done for around 300
That's must be a minimal amount if work, even if you got a deal. Correct me if im wrong, but I doubt they have that much profit margin on work.
avatar
J.Toney

Posts : 334
Join date : 2009-08-18
Location : Kent CIty, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  cool40 on December 18th 2013, 1:50 pm

Curt wrote:
cool40 wrote:
schmitty wrote:Bore/hone, check cam tunnel, line bore, and size lifter bores to your lifter diameter, will all add up.  I know that it sounds high, and might be depending on who you use for a machine shop, but it's always better to figure costs on the high side, just in case.
if I bought a new block that needs all that I wouldn't want another one. Lol

If you bought a new block and didn't do all that, you're either lucky or asking for very expensive problems.
must be one.if a new block needs a line bore its a pos.lmo
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 18th 2013, 1:58 pm

It is common to HONE [not bore] blocks main housings to the 'high side' to get the main oil clearance needed for high rpm engines. This more so with the china cranks which tend to be on the 'fat' side. It's not much of an issue with a Bryant crankshaft which have main journals that are under the low side of spec.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  cool40 on December 18th 2013, 2:03 pm

Lem Evans wrote:It is common to HONE [not bore] blocks main housings to the 'high side' to get the main oil clearance needed for high rpm engines. This more so with the china cranks which tend to be on the 'fat' side. It's not much of an issue with a Bryant crankshaft which have main journals that are under the low side of spec.  
that could be why I never had problems. I only have bryant cranks.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  schmitty on December 18th 2013, 2:08 pm

baller  Laughing 
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  cool40 on December 18th 2013, 2:15 pm

schmitty wrote:baller   Laughing 
on a budget.  Wink 
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 18th 2013, 6:52 pm

cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:It is common to HONE [not bore] blocks main housings to the 'high side' to get the main oil clearance needed for high rpm engines. This more so with the china cranks which tend to be on the 'fat' side. It's not much of an issue with a Bryant crankshaft which have main journals that are under the low side of spec.  
that could be why I never had problems. I only have bryant cranks.

The only problems you 'ballers' have are high tax brackets.  tongue 

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  kim on December 18th 2013, 7:08 pm

They are going to get higher.... work hard, sacrifice, give to the lazy bastard next door.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 18th 2013, 7:41 pm

Relative to the honing of the mains:

What is usual is .0004"-.0008". .001" can happen but, rarely. It's no like the block is being re-engineered.....more like tuning i.m.o.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  MustangDan on December 19th 2013, 1:32 am

How much is a bryant crank ?

MustangDan

Posts : 140
Join date : 2013-12-13
Location : cincinnati Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 19th 2013, 1:41 am

Pounds or dollars?

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  69F100 on December 19th 2013, 1:49 am

Lem Evans wrote:Pounds or dollars?

Don't it take pounds of dollars to get one  Razz 
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5148
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 19th 2013, 1:51 am

Laughing 

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  dfree383 on December 19th 2013, 8:40 am

Billet = Bucks
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  Lem Evans on December 19th 2013, 11:13 am

MustangDan wrote:How much is a bryant crank ?

714-535-2695 ask for Joe Squires.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7148
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: a460 v/s Eliminator premier block

Post  AlkyPinto on December 19th 2013, 11:22 am

I've got two premier blocks and a SVO A460 block. The Premier block is
really nice with all five 4-bolt caps and the heavy duty valley casting.
One of my Premier blocks is 4.650" bore. Rings are NOT a problem from
TotalSeal and Cometic has 4.700" head gaskets. For the price difference
I'd go for the Premier. Which ever you decide on SONIC TEST IT before
you do anything!!!!!
avatar
AlkyPinto

Posts : 187
Join date : 2009-08-24

View user profile http://www.RichKentRacing.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum