BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compression, quench, octane and gasket

3 posters

Go down

Compression, quench, octane and gasket  Empty Compression, quench, octane and gasket

Post  Super Snake Steve December 27th 2013, 12:36 pm

Here we go guys I've been reading all I could find here on quench and understand it pretty good.
But need to make a decision on what gasket to use and where I would benefit the most as far as pre Detonation go's I will add race fuel to my pump gas but would like to keep it as little as possible.
My bulid and question I have 429scj .030 over block and head cleaned up.010 TRWs flat tops TRW put CR. at 10.7:1 this motor has 10k on it and I have it all apart to have stainless valves and harden exh seat. So my question is where would I benefit the most with what gasket felpro 520SD is about .052 thick and the felpro 1018 is .041 thick so would the 1018 give me a better quench even though the compression would be slightly higher than with the .051 thick gasket so what I'm asking is will the tighter quench help with pre detonation and out weight the increase in compression as opposed to a bit lower compression with the .052 gasket thanks for any advice

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Compression, quench, octane and gasket  Empty Re: Compression, quench, octane and gasket

Post  LivermoreDave December 27th 2013, 1:42 pm

Snake IMO and I'm sure you'll get plenty others, working the quench area and working the compression ratio should be two separate exercises. Now with that said, I think most who wish to offer an opinion will require more details of your build and application.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Compression, quench, octane and gasket  Empty Re: Compression, quench, octane and gasket

Post  Super Snake Steve December 27th 2013, 8:14 pm

I put the compression ratio down so you know what im dealing with so if I use the thinner gasket compression might go up some but I'll have a closer quench might help with running 95 octane instead of 100 or if I put thicker gasket compression might go down but loose my quench and have to run 100 octane IDK that why I'm asking im sure it will work ether way but witch is better. What more info would you need 429scj forged TRW .30 over crane cam F246/3294 solid with crane roller rockers in. 79 f150 4x4 4:10 gears 38" tires c6 auto

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 27th 2013, 10:40 pm

You are absolutely correct. Adding thickness or removing thickness from the head gasket will effect the compression ratio as well the amount of quench. IMO, do not manipulate the compression ratio with the gasket unless it's a last or economic resort. Work the piston for your desired compression ratio. The piston's location relative to the block's deck will also effect quench and compression ratio. I must apologize at first I wasn't sure your SCJ was a complete OEM engine. Cast iron cylinder heads and the compression ratio Crane recommends along with street usage and your application, you may be walking a fine line to satisfaction. Oh by the way, I always like to go out on a limb. I don't think your going to like the performance of your 4X4 with this camshaft installed.

Cranes description (concise)
Rough idle, performance usage, oval track: Late Model,
Sportsman, 1/4-3/8 mile; bracket racing: Super Pro, Hot
Rod, auto trans w/3000+ converter; serious off road,
10.5 to 12.0 compression ratio advised.
F-246/3294-2-8 3600-7000  (246/.563 256/.583 / 108)

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Snake Steve December 27th 2013, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the info your right on the cam I really don't like it I was checking into a new one called comp cams and told the guy what I had and what it was in and recommend a 300 series cam with like low 600 lift he said my compression was to much to run smaller lift I don't think he knows what he is talking about I need to find someone on this form that can make me a cam for what I have I live in athens Ga who's close to me that can custom grind me a cam

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 28th 2013, 8:22 am

Super Snake Steve wrote:Thanks for the info your right on the cam I really don't like it I was checking into a new one called comp cams and told the guy what I had and what it was in and recommend a 300 series cam with like low 600 lift he said my compression was to much to run smaller lift I don't think he knows what he is talking about I need to find someone on this form that can make me a cam for what I have I live in athens Ga who's close to me that can custom grind me a cam

Ask Lem Evans to spec. a cam for you.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down