BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb issue?

2 posters

Go down

Carb issue? Empty Carb issue?

Post  Bigred69 December 30th 2013, 7:26 am

Ok, I cranked and ran my 429 yesterday with the radiator hooked up just to check for leaks and such. The Holley 750 vacuum secondary hasn't been touched other than setting the mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns. It ran good with no hesitation, but smoked a little out of the left bank right after a quick throttle up. I figured it was just a carb adjustment ,so I went on to make ready to install the motor on Tuesday. When I pulled the carb off the intake, I noticed fuel had discolored the drivers side plenum on the intake , where the passenger side was clean. I'm not sure what to make of this, but it's the same side that was smoking a bit. Also, all the plugs on the drivers side looked wet, with fuel, not oil. The motor is a stock 429 ,straight up timing, Edlebrock performer intake, Holley 750, with a 1" spacer. Any help would be appreciated.
Bigred69
Bigred69

Back to top Go down

Carb issue? Empty Re: Carb issue?

Post  supervel45 December 30th 2013, 12:13 pm

Get the engine in the car so you can drive it. 1 1/2 turns, on the idle screws is alot, with a stock or mild cam. If the carb has been sitting up along time, the power valve is likely hard, and will need to be replaced. If you can close the idle screws all the way, and the engine does not die, it is a likely sign the power valve is bad. Could be other problems also, but might want to check these first.

supervel45

Back to top Go down