BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

forged crank

+12
kjett
Lem Evans
Paul Kane
HEMI-HUNTER
the Coug
GT300TD
Carl
rmcomprandy
supervel45
Beast
Wheelie58
72mach1
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

forged crank - Page 3 Empty Re: forged crank

Post  cool40 January 21st 2015, 3:01 pm

kjett wrote:
cool40 wrote:Have you priced a crower or bryant ? They are about double the scat.

billet vs forged. Apples vs oranges debate. Billet is know to cost more simply due to the machining time to carve a crank out of a hunk of steel. It's almost like comparing the Callies crank to the Eagle. Callies uses better quality Japanese steel where the Eagle (and Lunati, and Scat, and Ohio) use Chinese steel which is all over the place on quality and material mixture. Thos 2 forged cranks are in different classes and one would expect the Callies to cost more. Paul brought up a good insight as to the Lunati vs Scat with them being machined at Scat so they bear more of the brunt with the machining costs. It's funny considering when I called Lunati about this, the sales/tech rep on the phone said Lunati machines their blanks in house and last I knew they were in MS not CA. Just shows that you can never get a straight answer to simple questions.
I paid $1800 for a bryant 8 yrs ago. I've bought another one since then but can't recall the price because it was one big bill, lol. A billet crank is much more than the forged I have and no need for it unless you can't get it forged.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2