BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Header coating worth the expense

+16
TravisRice
GTmustang
jasonf
Wheelie58
Moodyblues
bbf-falcon
LivermoreDave
Mike R
cool40
stangr8cr
maverick
whatbumper
rmcomprandy
supervel45
Dave C.
HorsinAround
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Header coating worth the expense Empty Is Header coating worth the expense

Post  HorsinAround Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

Looking at having a set of headers made and was debating about spending another $300-$350 to get a coating like Jet coating or Nitroplate. Any opinions?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Is Header coating worth the expense Empty Re: Is Header coating worth the expense

Post  Dave C. Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

Cheap protection.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Is Header coating worth the expense Empty Re: Is Header coating worth the expense

Post  supervel45 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

VHT high temp paint would be cheap protection in my book LoL. Go stainless and be done with it, would be the best solutition. The inside of the pipes take a beating more than the outside, does the coatings do anything there? The coatings look good on show cars and for that I could see the extra money.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround Tue 21 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm

From what I've seen on the websites, Jet and Nitroplate coat both the inside and outside. And yes, my opinion for exterior protection is VHT is cheap protection especially when I can get employee discount at the parts store I work part time at....
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Tue 21 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

That really depends upon the specific coating .. all coatings are NOT equal;  Anti rust coatings, anti heat coatings,, etc.

SWAIN TECH has the best Anti Heat coating anywhere - called "White Lightening". (It is NOT cheap).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:28 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:That really depends upon the specific coating .. all coatings are NOT equal;  Anti rust coatings, anti heat coatings,, etc.

SWAIN TECH has the best Anti Heat coating anywhere - called "White Lightening". (It is NOT cheap).

Looks like they are about the same price as Nitroplate which is who Fab Shop is using.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

just spend the extra and make them out of stainless and dont worry about it.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

The guy I use for ceramic header coatings coats them inside and out, provided they're nice and clean inside (he doesn't wanna do the inside if they've been run.). They're gorgeous and they last a long time that way.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr Tue 21 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm

This came up at a tech seminar a couple of years ago. It really is best to have them coated. Kasse was talking about un coated headers and the engine actually sucking in rust from the inside of the tubes upon startup. We've always coated ours and while it's not mandatory or cheap, seems worth it if there are any protective benefits and they do look good for a long time.

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Tue 21 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm

Nitroplate did a very nice job on mine. I put stainless collectors on to try and had an intake gasket leak causing it to lean out.the collector turned blue but the header didn't.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:17 pm

For what headers cost, having them plated is a no brainer in my book

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave Tue 21 Jan 2014, 10:57 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Looking at having a set of headers made and was debating about spending another $300-$350 to get a coating like Jet coating or Nitroplate. Any opinions?

Opinions! Hell you know we got opinions. Horsie we've had two sets plated at NitroPlate and not only have they gave good service they look great! Yes is my answer, it adds to the header's life.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm

whatbumper wrote:just spend the extra and make them out of stainless and dont worry about it.

Stainless tubes will still radiate a bunch of heat in the engine compartment but, they will look nice, LOL.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon Wed 22 Jan 2014, 12:38 am

stangr8cr wrote:This came up at a tech seminar a couple of years ago. It really is best to have them coated. Kasse was talking about un coated headers and the engine actually sucking in rust from the inside of the tubes upon startup. We've always coated ours and while it's not mandatory or cheap, seems worth it if there are any protective benefits and they do look good for a long time.

X2.I was @ that seminar and heard the story. I also did a engine for a customer a while back that had headers that were uncoated,the ring lands were caked with rust ftom inside the header. My answer is also yes.Although,it wouldnt happen on a streetcammed engine,because it wouldnt have the revirsion effect.
Boo Boo

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues Wed 22 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

Yes.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 Wed 22 Jan 2014, 10:02 am

Coating the inside and outside of the headers increases the lifespan of the tubes for sure.
I remember starting my car with uncoated headers after sitting for 2 months in the winter and having lots of rusty crap all over the floor that came out of the headers. With coated ones...that doesn't happen any more.
There are lots of good coating vendors. Mine were done at Performance Coatings in Jonesboro, GA.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround Wed 22 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

Ok, I'm convinced.. I talked to ProkoteIndy and will probably go there because they are close.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf Wed 22 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm

Recently I was reading an article and there was considerably less heat radiated from the coated headers. I have coated headers on my bucket and my cobra and kind of consider it standard issue now. I wouldn't run a set without it.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Is Header coating worth the expense Empty Ceramic coated headers and NOS?

Post  GTmustang Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

I really liked the looks of my old Kook's headers with the polished silver finish. I talked to Jet Hot today about having my new headers coated with their Jet Hot Extreme 1300 polished silver finish and they say they wouldn't recommend coating them with the polished silver finish. They recommended their Jet Hot Extreme 1300 "Colors" or since I occasionally use nitrous, the Jet Hot Extreme 2000 colors would be a better choice! They quoted $630 for the Extreme 2000, Ouch! I really don't want to pay that much for a set of Black coated headers!
Any recommendations from personal experience with header coatings?
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

GTmustang wrote:I really liked the looks of my old Kook's headers with the polished silver finish. I talked to Jet Hot today about having my new headers coated with their Jet Hot Extreme 1300 polished silver finish and they say they wouldn't recommend coating them with the polished silver finish. They recommended their Jet Hot Extreme 1300 "Colors" or since I occasionally use nitrous, the Jet Hot Extreme 2000 colors would be a better choice! They quoted $630 for the Extreme 2000, Ouch! I really don't want to pay that much for a set of Black coated headers!
Any recommendations from personal experience with header coatings?
                                                                               Gary

When getting headers covered with the "White Lightning" from SWAIN TECH they are white and not smooth because that coating is a solid material added to the surface of the header, applied molten, not just baked to its rather rough finish; (sorta like a dull flexible porcelain).  
I was told about this company from a bunch of turbo guys over ten tears ago because I was looking specifically for HEAT control in the engine compartment of a road race car.  You can't grab on to them but, touching them while running won't cause a burn and engine compartment temps while running with the hood on were 70% cooler; YES, 70%.  

The original usage for the "White Lightning" was for NASA to coat the re-intry heat shield for returning spacecraft.
If keeping the heat INSIDE the pipe and "pretty" is not your goal, this coating is without equal, as far as I know.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

I use QC Coatings in Michigan. They are a small shop and do some really nice stuff for a little less money than others. When you call them they don't have a secretary, you may get the answering machine but Bill will call you back before the end of the day. I recently had 2 sets done. Both sets I built, and they were individual tubes with slip on collectors. One set was 2" Pontiac, and the other was a C-460 Ford in a stock suspension car. He quoted me $275 for the first set, and when he found out I was doing 2 sets quoted them at $250 ea. + shipping. If you give him a call feel free to use my name as a referral.

Travis

http://www.qccoatings.com/cc.php

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm

TravisRice wrote:I use QC Coatings in Michigan. They are a small shop and do some really nice stuff for a little less money than others. When you call them they don't have a secretary, you may get the answering machine but Bill will call you back before the end of the day. I recently had 2 sets done. Both sets I built, and they were individual tubes with slip on collectors. One set was 2" Pontiac, and the other was a C-460 Ford in a stock suspension car. He quoted me $275 for the first set, and when he found out I was doing 2 sets quoted them at $250 ea. + shipping. If you give him a call feel free to use my name as a referral.

Travis

http://www.qccoatings.com/cc.php

YES ... QC does good work; I can vouch for that.  I use them when I need good looking stuff ... and there is no shipping because I can drive over, LOL.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Is Header coating worth the expense Empty Coatings

Post  blown473 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 12:01 am

I've been running Sanderson headers with the Jet Hot silver coating for 9 years now on a blown BBF and they still look great, coating has held up well, even on the inside, I got to check that when I swapped in my 521 a few months ago. Was worth the extra $$$
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:05 am

blown473 wrote:I've been running Sanderson headers with the Jet Hot silver coating for 9 years now on a blown BBF and they still look great, coating has held up well, even on the inside, I got to check that when I swapped in my 521 a few months ago. Was worth the extra $$$
This is what Jet Hot told me:
"Thank you for your interest in Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings. The cost to coat your headers and collectors in Extreme COLORS $530.00 plus the cost of return shipping. Given the horse power I do not recommend the Polished finish. Also since you spray Nitrous now and again the Extreme 2000 will be a much better fit. The cost will be $630.00 plus the cost of return shipping."

Apparently they don't think their polished silver coating will hold up! It doesn't seem right that it wouldn't hold up on my mild street motor, even if I hit it with a small shot every once in a while! I guess the weak point in the coating is the aluminum powder used in it, when you get near 1300 the aluminum starts to melt. I've already spent a bunch of money to have headers fabricated and I want to have
them coated so they last a long time. Heat reduction in my tight engine compartment is also a factor in my decision. I'm still waiting to hear from Nitroplate and I will call QC Coatings also to see what they can do for me.
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:35 am

GTmustang wrote:
blown473 wrote:I've been running Sanderson headers with the Jet Hot silver coating for 9 years now on a blown BBF and they still look great, coating has held up well, even on the inside, I got to check that when I swapped in my 521 a few months ago. Was worth the extra $$$
This is what Jet Hot told me:
"Thank you for your interest in Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings. The cost to coat your headers and collectors in Extreme COLORS $530.00 plus the cost of return shipping. Given the horse power I do not recommend the Polished finish. Also since you spray Nitrous now and again the Extreme 2000 will be a much better fit. The cost will be $630.00 plus the cost of return shipping."

Apparently they don't think their polished silver coating will hold up! It doesn't seem right that it wouldn't hold up on my mild street motor, even if I hit it with a small shot every once in a while! I guess the weak point in the coating is the aluminum powder used in it, when you get near 1300 the aluminum starts to melt. I've already spent a bunch of money to have headers fabricated and I want to have
them coated so they last a long time. Heat reduction in my tight engine compartment is also a factor in my decision. I'm still waiting to hear from Nitroplate and I will call QC Coatings also to see what they can do for me.
                                                                                                             Gary

The polished finish headers I have seen from them and other places  will hold-up however, the coating may become dull looking and not "shiny" anymore because of the extra heat.

Another thing about the Swain Tech "White Lightning" is that the surface finish will also hold high heat painted finishes.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next