BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb vs EFI throttlebody

+3
dfree383
maverick
fordmanmatt
7 posters

Go down

Carb vs EFI throttlebody Empty Carb vs EFI throttlebody

Post  fordmanmatt January 22nd 2014, 8:56 pm

how common is it for racers to use the throttle bodies set up in Drag Racing I was looking at this flying toilet has anybody heard of it by Rons fuel injection ????
Looks like the cfm ranges from 1150 to 2000 and comparing the EFI Throttle body compared to say a 1150+ quick fuel, Holley, Edelbrock carbs.... could I get some opinions here please! Question scratch 
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Carb vs EFI throttlebody Empty Re: Carb vs EFI throttlebody

Post  maverick January 22nd 2014, 9:18 pm

The Toilet is pretty common stuff on drag strips. if you use one, you're not plowing new ground. Wink 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 22nd 2014, 9:23 pm

Question is fuel type
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 22nd 2014, 9:33 pm

98 to 110 octane Pump Gas
dfree383 wrote:Question is fuel type
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 22nd 2014, 9:35 pm

Is there one that has been talked about as being very good out of the box like the one I referred to flying toilet????
maverick wrote:The Toilet is pretty common stuff on drag strips.  if you use one, you're not plowing new ground. Wink 
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 22nd 2014, 9:38 pm

On a percentage how many use Carbs vs Throttle bodys would anybody like to take a guess????
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 23rd 2014, 12:21 pm

It is my understanding that the "flying toilet" is a newer version of mechanical fuel injection which has been in drag racing since at least the late 50's and possibly sooner. "Blown and injected" was the sh!t when it first came to be and probably still is. These setups are great for the drag strip, jet boat, and pulling tractors and tend to work best with alcohol. They do not tend to be easy to run on the street at all as they are pretty much an on/off wot switch with incredible throttle response. There isn't much you can do for part throttle cruising/tuning with them. As for a percentage of guys running injection at the drags, idk but a whole lot in dedicated drag cars. Consistency, cooler running engines, a slight bit more torque.

The EFI throttle bodies look to be an even more modern attempt at gaining tuning leverage over the toilets, which are very similar to the original Hilborn types still in much use today. The technology hasn't changed much is what I'm getting at. Until these EFI kits. My knowledge about ends there on this subject. Maybe with these kits running an injected alcohol big cube, high hp engine on the street will be doable with midrange tuning options. idk.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt January 24th 2014, 9:15 pm

4th Horseman can you remove your car off your ALL your post its making me jealous LOL !!!!!  bounce 
4thHorseman wrote:It is my understanding that the "flying toilet" is a newer version of mechanical fuel injection which has been in drag racing since at least the late 50's and possibly sooner.  "Blown and injected" was the sh!t when it first came to be and probably still is.  These setups are great for the drag strip, jet boat, and pulling tractors and tend to work best with alcohol. They do not tend to be easy to run on the street at all as they are pretty much an on/off wot switch with incredible throttle response.  There isn't much you can do for part throttle cruising/tuning with them.  As for a percentage of guys running injection at the drags, idk but a whole lot in dedicated drag cars. Consistency, cooler running engines, a slight bit more torque.

The EFI throttle bodies look to be an even more modern attempt at gaining tuning leverage over the toilets, which are very similar to the original Hilborn types still in much use today.  The technology hasn't changed much is what I'm getting at.  Until these EFI kits.  My knowledge about ends there on this subject.  Maybe with these kits running an injected alcohol big cube, high hp engine on the street will be doable with midrange tuning options. idk.
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB January 24th 2014, 11:46 pm

I talked to the guys that make the "toilet" 15 years ago. I was still driving mine on the street here and there. He told me that he wouldn't think of using the toilet that way. It would suck some major gas. If my car was all track he said it would be fine. It goes back to what 4th horseman said also.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 25th 2014, 11:43 am

Alky= Toilet
Gas = Carbs
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 25th 2014, 3:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:Alky= Toilet
Gas = efi

Fixed

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 25th 2014, 10:30 pm

Ron's fuel injection offurs a throttle body for EFI applications.

Carb vs EFI throttlebody 05a

Ron’s has three different air management valves for electronic fuel injection. Available in 1150, 1475 and 2100 cfm units, we have a size for all applications. The 1150 cfm unit has the base slotted to fit both 4150 and 4500 bolt patterns. The larger two are dedicated to the 4500 pattern only. They all utilize common GM electronic components.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down