BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soldering .

+11
Mustang-junky
Larry Williams
Diggindeeper
maverick
richter69
J.Toney
Curt
7LBRONCO
supervel45
IDT-572
Dave C.
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Soldering . Empty Soldering .

Post  Dave C. January 28th 2014, 10:32 am

Thought I'd start a thread on this to get opinions and techniques. The 65 was wired ok, but I decided to cut out some butt connectors and solder the splices. I'm using a soldering gun instead of a pencil and found a magnetized alligator clip device to hold both wires in place while you solder...... After looking at some of the cars at the track it appears to me a lot of guys probably don't know how to solder or they don't care about it...... Either way , to me it's good knowing a bad connection will never cause a problem that will take hours to trace .

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Soldering . Empty Re: Soldering .

Post  IDT-572 January 28th 2014, 10:35 am

Dave C. wrote:Thought I'd start a thread on this to get opinions and techniques. The 65 was wired ok, but I decided to cut out some butt connectors and solder the splices. I'm using a soldering gun instead of a pencil and found a magnetized alligator clip device to hold both wires in place while you solder...... After looking at some of the cars at the track it appears to me a lot of guys probably don't know how to solder or they don't care about it...... Either way , to me it's good knowing a bad connection will never cause a problem that will take hours to trace .

I see a lot of wires twisted together and black tape...............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 28th 2014, 10:38 am

Alot of cars burned to the ground because of bad wiring. I like shrink tite and a heat gun for the final touch.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  7LBRONCO January 28th 2014, 11:27 am

A small butane or propane torch is a bunch faster than a soldering gun. 2X on the shrink tubing.

7LBRONCO

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 28th 2014, 11:50 am

If you solder, make sure the wire is supported. They do become brittle due to the stiffness.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 28th 2014, 1:15 pm

Guilty of the butt connectors, but the twisting is ridiculous. At least use wire nuts! That said, I end up usually rushing and crimp as a time saver. The alligator clip seems obvious, but I've never even thought about it. Neato, thanks.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 28th 2014, 2:19 pm

Summit sells em ... Magnetic soldering clamp ( 12 bucks)

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 28th 2014, 2:32 pm

all my stuff is soldered and heat shrinked, even the crimped on eyelets etc.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 28th 2014, 4:47 pm

richter69 wrote: all my stuff is soldered and heat shrinked, even the crimped on eyelets etc.
From what I gather, it's cuz your a HerO or something.  Very Happy
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick January 28th 2014, 6:01 pm

Get one of those cute little butane fueled soldering gun/torches.  They're about $20 at Radio Shack and other places.  It's MUCH hotter and faster than an electric soldering gun, fits in your shirt pocket like a fat pen, needs no cords, gets into tight spots and will even solder HEAVY gauge wires. comes with a soldering tip and a small torch tip.  Greatest little tool ever invented. Cool Also heats your shrink tubing after the soldering's done.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper January 28th 2014, 6:20 pm

Curt wrote:If you solder, make sure the wire is supported. They do become brittle due to the stiffness.

The heat also causes the wire to be brittle.

I will also add anything pulling many amps should not be soldered.  That's when compression (not crimp) lug and butts should be used.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams January 28th 2014, 6:47 pm

richter69 wrote:all my stuff is soldered and heat shrinked, even the crimped on eyelets etc.

mechanics are used to doing it right the first time
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky January 28th 2014, 7:36 pm

maverick wrote:Get one of those cute little butane fueled soldering gun/torches.  They're about $20 at Radio Shack and other places.  It's MUCH hotter and faster than an electric soldering gun, fits in your shirt pocket like a fat pen, needs no cords, gets into tight spots and will even solder HEAVY gauge wires. comes with a soldering tip and a small torch tip.  Greatest little tool ever invented. Cool  Also heats your shrink tubing after the soldering's done.

I love my little torch. Good for other stuff too.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 28th 2014, 7:40 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:
Curt wrote:If you solder, make sure the wire is supported. They do become brittle due to the stiffness.

I will also add anything pulling many amps should not be soldered.  That's when compression (not crimp) lug and butts should be used.
Why is this? Too much amperage soften solder?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH January 28th 2014, 7:54 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:

you ever look at the battery side end of the cable

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 28th 2014, 9:07 pm

Dave C. wrote:Thought I'd start a thread on this to get opinions and techniques. The 65 was wired ok, but I decided to cut out some butt connectors and solder the splices. I'm using a soldering gun instead of a pencil and found a magnetized alligator clip device to hold both wires in place while you solder...... After looking at some of the cars at the track it appears to me a lot of guys probably don't know how to solder or they don't care about it...... Either way , to me it's good knowing a bad connection will never cause a problem that will take hours to trace .

Keep up the good work! The size (amperage rating) of your soldering device should be determined by the work. Oh by the way, a flame type of soldering device may not be the best under the dash!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 28th 2014, 10:33 pm

Inside the car is finished.. Waiting to set the engine in it to finish the wiring under the hood...

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj January 29th 2014, 12:32 am

Make sure to use rosin core solder.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper January 29th 2014, 1:27 am

J.Toney wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:

Yes. Eventually
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper January 29th 2014, 1:31 am

DanH wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:

you ever look at the battery side end of the cable

Battery cables are not soldered.
Compressed lug with anti oxidizing compound
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 29th 2014, 8:08 am

Diggindeeper wrote:
J.Toney wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:

Yes. Eventually
What would be considered "too many"? Just curious. I'm guessing there is a amps/wire gauge rule to this?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 29th 2014, 8:26 am

Another two opinions if I may. I've been using the crimp type battery cable ends for years although instead of crimping them I place the end in a vise, heat and fill to about 75% with solder then slightly heat the stripped cable and push the cable into the cable end. Works great and makes a nice looking and serviceable connection. It would seem to me if a cable (regardless of size) is overheating to the point of effecting solder's value, or heating the cable itself, the cable size and/or the cable's connections may not be applied correctly.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 29th 2014, 9:20 am

^^^^ this is how I have done all my battery terminal ends for a long time now, never a provlem in all the years i been doing it..
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper January 29th 2014, 9:27 am

J.Toney wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:
J.Toney wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:

Yes. Eventually
What would be considered "too many"? Just curious. I'm guessing there is a amps/wire gauge rule to this?

My rule of thumb is not scientific, however I can get good quality barrel lugs with a compression tool that works well starting at #8 guage, so that's what I do. I know you can go higher without issue, however I think an exact number of amps is probably a scientific answer taking type of solder, amount etc into account.

Fwiw solder was used in overload blocks for electric motor starters to trip them under overload conditions for many years.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. January 29th 2014, 9:46 am

I'm thinking if the solder gets hot enough to lose its connection the car is probably on fire and it really doesn't matter.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum