1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on June 21st 2014, 12:05 pm

Finally got her on the scales last night in full race trim with me sitting in it. I wish I had a video of it leaving the line but anyway.

Total weight was 3087
front left was 863
front right was 865

rear left was 728
rear right was 632

total front was 1728= 55.9%
total rear was 1359 = 46.1%

The scales are some old circle track scales.
Front strut springs are 200.
Rear coilover springs are 110. Bought used and this is what the guy told me he thought.

Suggestions on new springs or weights or anything please???

avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  dirt_worker on June 21st 2014, 12:46 pm

I think i might try a softer front spring if it was mine.
I put a 200 under my truck but havent got it done or had to the track yet. (It should weigh around 37-3800)
avatar
dirt_worker

Posts : 535
Join date : 2009-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on June 21st 2014, 12:58 pm

dirt_worker wrote:I think i might try a softer front spring if it was mine.
I put a 200 under my truck but havent got it done or had to the track yet. (It should weigh around 37-3800)
Thanks, thats what Richter said earlier also. Is there a formula to get close on the springs? 150's??
avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  richter69 on June 22nd 2014, 7:01 pm

Put a 150-160 on it
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  67460 on July 5th 2014, 9:37 pm

Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
avatar
67460

Posts : 384
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 55
Location : Lansing Illinois

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on July 6th 2014, 10:22 am

richter69 wrote:Put a 150-160 on it
I definitely need to change something. I'll be posting some launch videos today finally. It looks bad..

67460 wrote:Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
Thanks.
avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  CDMBill on July 19th 2014, 10:34 am

Beyond rate there is free height or length of the spring. Measure the installed height as it sits with you or your weight equivilent in it (sand bags).

Do you know the free height of the 200# units in it now? Several of the companies athat sell springs, AFCO, Santhuff, QA1 etc. have charts of wire size and free coils (excluding the dead coils, the flat parts where the ground flat portion touches the coil above it) which determines the rate of the spring. Once you know how much the existing coils compressed with your current set up you know the effective load on the spring. For example 200#/in. springs that are compressed three inches when installed in the car from full extension to ride height means you have 600# load.

To go to 150# springs they will have to compress 4" to reach the same load (600/150) That also means they need to start out with a taller free height. So if the current springs are 10" you'd go to 12" on the 150's. You'd adjust the coil over for fine tuning ride height.

CDMBill

Posts : 168
Join date : 2010-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on July 27th 2014, 8:49 am

CDMBill wrote:Beyond rate there is free height or length of the spring. Measure the installed height as it sits with you or your weight equivilent in it (sand bags).

Do you know the free height of the 200# units in it now? Several of the companies athat sell springs, AFCO, Santhuff, QA1 etc. have charts of wire size and free coils (excluding the dead coils, the flat parts where the ground flat portion touches the coil above it) which determines the rate of the spring. Once you know how much the existing coils compressed with your current set up you know the effective load on the spring. For example 200#/in. springs that are compressed three inches when installed in the car from full extension to ride height means you have 600# load.

To go to 150# springs they will have to compress 4" to reach the same load (600/150) That also means they need to start out with a taller free height. So if the current springs are 10" you'd go to 12" on the 150's. You'd adjust the coil over for fine tuning ride height.
Thanks Bill, I'm hoping to get out there today and mess with it. I need to get all the measurements on the front suspension.
avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  GSEninja on September 12th 2014, 3:16 pm

Amazing job! I love the feel of a more modern suspension in a classic ride

GSEninja

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-09-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on October 30th 2014, 8:47 am

GSEninja wrote:Amazing job! I love the feel of a more modern suspension in a classic ride

Thanks. especially the steering.

avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  70FB on October 30th 2014, 8:53 am

I put some new 29.5X10.5s on the other day and took my EZ plate out,timing back in it and took the 100lbs of weight out of the trunk.

New best...
1.32 60ft.
6.01 1/8
9.49 1/4.

I'm happy but want more. More changes after two more races are over. Ive also been taking weight out between races this summer. The car was 3410 with me in it last October. It is now down to 3010 with me. I'd like to get another 200 out this winter. Windows and fiberglass plus some other areas...

Once I get the winter changes finished then we will scale it again and get the right suspension under this thing.


Thanks for all the help on this thread.
avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  Jetman on January 7th 2017, 6:11 am

Nice job! I have a AJE setup in my 1970 fastback and I am building a 521 for strip / street action. Any advice since you have finished yours would be appreciated. 70FB did you have to fabricate the headers on the passenger side?
avatar
Jetman

Posts : 35
Join date : 2011-11-19
Age : 49
Location : Alaska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum