which head gaskets

Go down

which head gaskets

Post  72mach1 on February 26th 2014, 10:13 pm

I have been using the stock replacement fel pro head gaskets on my mild builds. The new motor might need a little better gasket. It a stock stroke 460 N/a with 13.5:1 compression on gas, alcohol later. Im using A429 heads. Should I use the fel-pro 1018, 1028 or should I be looking at something else. Thanks for the help.
avatar
72mach1

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-05-13
Location : Tulsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  bigblok2000ranger on February 26th 2014, 10:57 pm

72mach1 wrote:I have been using the stock replacement fel pro head gaskets on my mild builds. The new motor might need a little better gasket. It a stock stroke 460 N/a with 13.5:1 compression on gas, alcohol later. Im using A429 heads. Should I use the fel-pro 1018, 1028 or should I be looking at something else. Thanks for the help.

Either should work fine as long as you don't detonate it. Remember the 1028 is thicker with a bigger bore.
avatar
bigblok2000ranger

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2010-04-07
Age : 39
Location : Beloit,WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  72mach1 on February 26th 2014, 11:20 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:
72mach1 wrote:I have been using the stock replacement fel pro head gaskets on my mild builds. The new motor might need a little better gasket. It a stock stroke 460 N/a with 13.5:1 compression on gas, alcohol later. Im using A429 heads. Should I use the fel-pro 1018, 1028 or should I be looking at something else. Thanks for the help.

Either should work fine as long as you don't detonate it. Remember the 1028 is thicker with a bigger bore.

Summit listed both as being .041 compressed but listed the B460 gasket as .038 compressed. is the 1028 listed wrong on summits websight? Don't plan on detonating it, 116 fuel till I get the new intake ported so I can run alcohol. There is lots of epoxy in my current intake.
avatar
72mach1

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-05-13
Location : Tulsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  dfree383 on February 26th 2014, 11:44 pm

The 1018 is the small bore, that's what you want. I believe they are both the same thickness
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14174
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  Bill Heard on February 27th 2014, 3:03 am

1018 are .042
1028 are .041
I cheated.....I went and looked
I thought the 1028 was .051...maybe the 1099 is .051
avatar
Bill Heard

Posts : 100
Join date : 2011-04-10
Age : 73
Location : Portland Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  bbf-falcon on February 27th 2014, 9:37 am

I ran a 1018 w/14.1 on my ole 466 for years ,even REused them on same block w/o issues. I always thought they were .041 also. oh well no biggee. Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  Lem Evans on February 27th 2014, 10:21 am

The 1018 and 1028 are ~ the same thickness. This is from actually measuring used gaskets that had being torqued and seen heat cycles.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7153
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  72mach1 on February 27th 2014, 8:27 pm

thanks for the help
avatar
72mach1

Posts : 12
Join date : 2010-05-13
Location : Tulsa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Head gaskets

Post  blown473 on February 28th 2014, 1:25 am

Take a look at Ford Racing's M-6051-A441 head gaskets, made by Fel-Pro for Ford, it looks like the 1018, but has fire rings made in around the bores for higher compression, turbo, supercharger etc, about $70 a pair from Summit. These are designed for the smaller 4.36 to 4.50 bore.

blown473

Posts : 366
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 58

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  Gregaust on February 28th 2014, 6:29 am

Got my Ford Racing gaskets from Lem Evans Wink

Gregaust

Posts : 471
Join date : 2009-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  dfree383 on February 28th 2014, 10:06 am

blown473 wrote:Take a look at Ford Racing's M-6051-A441 head gaskets, made by Fel-Pro for Ford, it looks like the 1018, but has fire rings made in around the bores for higher compression, turbo, supercharger etc, about $70 a pair from Summit. These are designed for the smaller 4.36 to 4.50 bore.
they are the same
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14174
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

head gaskets

Post  blown473 on February 28th 2014, 4:27 pm

According to Ford Racing the race gasket has fire rings, the 1018 does not, significant difference in blow out resistance.

blown473

Posts : 366
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 58

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  Lem Evans on February 28th 2014, 4:42 pm

The M-6051-A441 FRPP gasket are the 429-4V 'dump truck' head gaskets. The Ford medium duty [F/L 600-700-750-800] engineering numbers are on the gaskets.

Like has been said....they do have the wire in the fire rings.  They are some tough dudes.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7153
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

head gaskets

Post  blown473 on February 28th 2014, 4:56 pm

Thanks for the extra info Lem ! As usual you are a wealth of information !

blown473

Posts : 366
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 58

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: which head gaskets

Post  Gregaust on March 1st 2014, 6:04 am

Lem Evans wrote:The M-6051-A441 FRPP gasket are the 429-4V 'dump truck' head gaskets. The Ford medium duty [F/L 600-700-750-800] engineering numbers are on the gaskets.

Like has been said....they do have the wire in the fire rings.  They are some tough dudes.

That's excellent info I didn't know . Glad now I got mine from Lem Smile

Gregaust

Posts : 471
Join date : 2009-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum