BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best intake

+15
windsor
fordmanmatt
richter69
bbf-falcon
342g
68galaxie
the Coug
afrfox
Rich Osmond
dfree383
supervel45
jc10000rpm
69bluehotrod
rmcomprandy
garys gt
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best intake - Page 2 Empty Re: Best intake

Post  supervel45 February 28th 2014, 3:34 pm

afrfox wrote:Didn't Einstein define insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"? lol! 
You got it bud, and stole my quote, that I stole, also. Seems like it is a very common problem nowaday's. Can't Fix Stupid, comes to mind also, and we all do it on occasion, be honest now. Wink 

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 28th 2014, 5:56 pm

There's nothing wrong with asking questions that has already been ask,but I go from board to board and see guy's asking logical ?'s that has already been ask a million times through the months or years. But, like Randy,I see people ask a ? here and get 2 pages of posts answering the ? by the most knowledgeable BBF guru's in the world. Then before that topic is finished here,the person is on 2 other boards asking the same ?. So come on guy's,Engine builders like Randy,Lem,and others know what their talkin about so ,when they see you ignoring their answer that they freely give ,why would they want to answer any other ? you might ask again.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 28th 2014, 6:15 pm

You guys are all making more of this than it really is.  
Directed sarcasm is a "point blank" way of making you stop & think about what you are doing. That is how I use it and always will.

I have had many discussions with many of you "face to face" and it is no different.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 28th 2014, 8:51 pm

Its called being an asshole.....thats ok Im the biggest one on here and im fine w it.

Proceed......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 28th 2014, 9:23 pm

(_*_)  Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt February 28th 2014, 10:32 pm

This is really a good thing to bring up, I too have asked questions on here twice but the reason for that is I will here replies to my questions and then two weeks later someone will ask the same question or similar to my build and there will be totally different responses to the question from the same person that responded before, I think most newbies and people wanting to get into rebuilding engines for hobby or whatever just come on here like me and we just get more confused!!! That's my two cents, probably better to just get a dvds or books on the subjects or you can do like me and just find a couple of really knowledgeable people like I have done and just pm or call them..

Or do both is always good...... Rolling Eyes 

There is always the option to go see a performance shop too, and then just go for it.
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor February 28th 2014, 10:49 pm

This is why I bought both intakes for my combo when I found a good deal....will try them both Very Happy 
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 1st 2014, 2:09 am

fordmanmatt wrote:This is really a good thing to bring up, I too have asked questions on here twice but the reason for that is I will here replies to my questions and then two weeks later someone will ask the same question or similar to my build and there will be totally different responses to the question from the same person that responded before, I think most newbies and people wanting to get into rebuilding engines for hobby or whatever just come on here like me and we just get more confused!!! That's my two cents, probably better to just get a dvds or books on the subjects or you can do like me and just find a couple of really knowledgeable people like I have done and just pm or call them..

Or do both is always good...... Rolling Eyes 

There is always the option to go see a performance shop too, and then just go for it.
It's seems like it's always been like this with Hot Rods. The thing that is good about it now with the BBF is we have so many choices, that we did not to many years ago. It is almost impossiable to give a recomendation, from several people, that will be the same, because there are not to many identical combinations around, in a complete vechicle combination. The Buick Turbo Grand Nationals seemed to be the exception, as they had different recipe's for the ET's you wanted, and they all where about the same as a base vechicle. There is a wealth of BBF info here, it just takes awhile to digest it all. As for as picking a builder you like and calling them, that is always a very good idea. Another aspect I don't see much anymore, the old term "Room to Grow" in buying something a little over kill, and changing something else down the road as money becomes available. Not the best idea if you can afford every thing at once, but it used to make some sense to rodders when they drove their cars for daily transpartation, and upgraded a little at a time. A little higher stall convertor than needed, if you where going with a bigger cam soon, is one example, and it could apply to intakes somewhat also if your are going to port or replace heads later. As crazy as it seems there also can sometimes be more than one correct answer to the same question. If you asked about speed parts/combinations for a SBC it would be alot worse, than the BBF for sure.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  fordmanmatt March 1st 2014, 10:56 am

Supervel45 I understand and I guess it's just hard to digest for the beginner builders or guys like me getting into it late in life, but having guys like you around to have explanations like this really helps to understand thanks for your input...
fordmanmatt
fordmanmatt

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 3rd 2014, 9:06 pm

https://www.429-460.com/t2627-bbf-intake-shootout?highlight=intake+pecking+order I Pulled this up to try and help some of the guys asking about intakes. I hope it is helpfull.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 3rd 2014, 9:13 pm

It is dated 2009, so alot has changed, and we need a updated chart, but it does have alot of good info, anyway. It does not answer the OP's question either.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  garys gt March 3rd 2014, 9:50 pm

It is really alot to digest all of the info I read on here. Some things seem straight forward and others leave me as lost as before I read 50 pages of posts. It's either got part of a combo that I can compare to or what seems to be nothing close to the same combo. I kind of like the idea of room to grow. If I can fit it in my budget l my try the mafia intake. I read a lot of good comments on it but all were bigger hp engines. So I guess I need more hp.

garys gt

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De March 3rd 2014, 10:28 pm

garys gt wrote:It is really alot to digest all of the info I read on here.  Some things seem straight forward and others leave me as lost as before I read 50 pages of posts.  It's either got part of a combo that I can compare to or what seems to be nothing close to the same combo. I kind of like the idea of room to grow. If I can fit it in my budget l my try the mafia intake. I read a lot of good comments on it but all were bigger hp engines.  So I guess I need more hp.

The answer to your question is a good dual quad fabricated intake maybe something from Marcella. But that is not the best for your getup. If you are still using SCJ-a heads the Victor is a good fit but will not fit under the hood of most cars. Is that okay for you? If not the torker II will suit it best.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 3rd 2014, 10:37 pm

It's your decision, in the end. Reading is free, intakes or not. If you plan on a high HP stroker, you will need alot of airflow. If you use too big of an intake on a smaller engine, it will be sluggish at lower RPM's. You can alway's trade up later for a bigger intake. If you can use the Victor they seem to sell fast, if you want to step up later. You will have to make the decision.

Last edited by supervel45 on March 4th 2014, 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 3rd 2014, 10:51 pm

" It's either got part of a combo that I can compare to or what seems to be nothing close to the same combo."

I guess I missed it but, where in this thread was your 'combo' clearly explained?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 4th 2014, 12:26 am

https://www.429-460.com/t20092-scja-heads I think he working on this combo Lem, but I am assuming, and you know how that can go.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  garys gt March 4th 2014, 7:08 am

I don't think I will have hood clearance problems with a single carb.

garys gt

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De March 4th 2014, 8:08 am

garys gt wrote:I don't think I will have hood clearance problems with a single carb.

I'll make the assumption that you have a Torino or a Mustang. If you do then the Victor or the Mafia wont even come close to clearing the hood unless you have an altered hood with a cowl or aero scoop.
The head package that you are using tell me that this is for the street.

Forum members want to help but without knowing more about the project we cant give good advice.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  garys gt March 4th 2014, 10:27 am

have both torino and mustang and mavericks and 68 f-100, soon to be powered by cummins. i am ford junk poor, but i like them. 70 gt torino with 351c and parker single plain intake that barley cleared hood with thin air cleaner. maverick with 408, cowl hood, maverick with 302, cowl hood, also have 71 mustang coupe and 73 mustang mach 1 q code. one of the mustangs will be where the 557 gets installed in. both cars have the factory ram air style hoods now. 1 has to much rust so I wont use it. been looking at the cowl hoods for the mustang. I really like them and they are close to the same price as a replacement. so I don't think I will have hood clearance problems. the dual 4 barrel set ups look cool but I have not had one. looks expensive extra carb and more linkage and don't know about intake price, guessing more expensive. this car will be a street/strip car. prob more strip than street. I have more cars and trucks than I can drive, but like I said I like them.

garys gt

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman March 4th 2014, 10:28 am

the Coug wrote:I go to a lot of Boards and read and every board I go to the same guy has the same question ask on all 20+ boards, the same answers come up and they keep asking till they get the answer they want to hear, so what should be done is ask him what Intake he wants to use? and tell him yep that's the best.... have a nice day.

Ha. I call those guys "ask holes."  I didn't come up with that so I can't take credit.

4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman March 4th 2014, 10:47 am

garys gt wrote:have both torino and mustang and mavericks and 68 f-100, soon to be powered by cummins. i am ford junk poor, but i like them. 70 gt torino with 351c and parker single plain intake that barley cleared hood with thin air cleaner. maverick with 408, cowl hood, maverick with 302, cowl hood, also have 71 mustang coupe and 73 mustang mach 1 q code.  one of the mustangs will be where the 557 gets installed in. both cars have the factory ram air style hoods now. 1 has to much rust so I wont use it. been looking at the cowl hoods for the mustang. I really like them and they are close to the same price as a replacement. so I don't think I will have hood clearance problems. the  dual 4 barrel set ups look cool but I have not had one. looks expensive extra carb and more linkage and don't know about intake price, guessing more expensive. this car will be a street/strip car. prob more strip than street. I have more cars and trucks than I can drive, but like I said I like them.    

That's quite the corral. If you're building one of the stangs (hopefully the fastback  Smile ) for more strip than street, screw the hood for now. Build it with the intention of hauling a$$ and worry about the cosmetics like what hood to wrap it in later. Listen to and heed advice from the jedi masters on this site even if you get knocked about a bit for asking a noob, retarded question and I bet you are happy with the end result. I know my ride wouldn't be half as quick without this site and the contributors' wisdom.

Back in the late 80's when I first got into cars and street/drag racing I thought I had to have the ratchet shifter, tunnel ram, fat tires hanging out, loud a$$ pipes.... and my junk would be quick. It was a turd. I got beat like a drum. But I hung out with guys much faster than me and I listened to EVERYTHING. All the bling crap got sold and I went for function over form following their advice. Pretty soon I was walking GSX'ers on the street. No joke.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 5th 2014, 2:01 am

garys gt wrote:I am sure you are a very knowledgeable guy. But you're not really a people person are you.  I like to ask questions and get answers and opinions from different people.  Hopefully learn things in the process.  If you talk to your customers like you post these smart a.. comets it's a wonder that you still have any customers.

you ever think of comeing up with your own choise in parts? will someone else knowledge always be the tool?

the cars you listed, one would think you did learn something. then maybe .. .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 5th 2014, 12:39 pm

Randy may not sound like a people person on here,but he's a good dude. He's one of those NOnonsense sort of people. Laughing 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 5th 2014, 12:48 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Randy may not sound like a people person on here,but he's a good dude. He's one of those NOnonsense sort of people. Laughing 

Great friend to have in a pinch, he knows his siht.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2