My midplate troubles.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  kim on February 18th 2016, 4:10 pm

Solid side mounts, unless your looking for some ability to pull engine and leave trans hanging, and verse vice, no need for mid plate with side mount engine mounts. Reason for mid plate with front mount, engine is hanging off bolts it was never intended to. It is also then supporting all the weight of engine and transmission at the bellhousing. Engineering never designed that in, bolts are just to keep one from rotating. Mid plate then supports engine and trans, removing that hanging weight and stress from bellhousing. With side mounts, engine is cradled and supported, no real weight on bellhousing except transmission. Its your car, do as you please, but for current design, your adding an issue you need not fight with.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  5pointslow on February 18th 2016, 4:16 pm

kim wrote:Solid side mounts, unless your looking for some ability to pull engine and leave trans hanging, and verse vice, no need for mid plate with side mount engine mounts.  Reason for mid plate with front mount, engine is hanging off bolts it was never intended to.  It is also then supporting all the weight of engine and transmission at the bellhousing. Engineering never designed that in, bolts are just to keep one from rotating.  Mid plate then supports engine and trans, removing that hanging weight and stress from bellhousing.  With side mounts, engine is cradled and supported, no real weight on bellhousing except transmission.  Its your car, do as you please, but for current design, your adding an issue you need not fight with.

Thanks

i just was thinking the midplate would tie into chassis but may not matter on this combo 550-600 hp set up nothing crazy just a car for 10.50index series locally
avatar
5pointslow

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 29
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BigRigTech on February 18th 2016, 8:02 pm

I have front and mid plates. I use the mount takes on my AJE k-member for fore/aft limiters. The tunnel is raised a bit at the front for the C6, the steering column is dropped 3" in the firewall so I could get my steering shaft to pass through my 2" hooker headers. Keith made my mid plate - he still has the pattern saved I'm sure. I didn't really need a mid plate but it was sort of a "planning for the future" thing incase I ever stepped up the HP a bunch.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 757
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BigRigTech on February 18th 2016, 8:03 pm

Hoping to cross into the 9's this year with some suspension changes and 275 drag radials
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 757
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BOSS 429 on February 18th 2016, 8:24 pm

BigRigTech wrote:I bought a KFM mid-plate for my fox body but it's not going to work as is. I'm not sure what to do, the mid-plate would almost be into the firewall with the engine in it's current spot. Not only that but my super comp's would take out most of the mid-plate where it would mount. It would need more meat on top for the bolt tabs. Maybe I should fab some solid engine mounts to go along with the front plate? Right now I just have the front plate and a tranny mount holding the deal in place.









Here is the plate I bought and the cardboard template of what is left after I would clearance it around the headers.








-------------------

this is why we never use a mid plate with a back half car, theres no real need , front plate,and trans mount,with strut rods work great, and with the hookers headers its more work,just not worth it
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BigRigTech on February 18th 2016, 8:40 pm

Like I said, it wasn't necessarily needed but I was thinking of future upgrades if any. My car isn't even mini tubbed, it's a stock suspension deal. Solid mounts would have been work too with the engine sitting this low. The k-member came with the car and it's for and SBF.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 757
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BigRigTech on February 18th 2016, 8:41 pm

The new mid plate fit great, minor trimming at the headers - that's it.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 757
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  5pointslow on February 18th 2016, 8:43 pm

Thanks for info guys .....so solid motor mounts and rubber trans mount ? Should be fine then
avatar
5pointslow

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 29
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  kim on February 18th 2016, 9:12 pm

Took 3 tries to get a mid plate in mine.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  5pointslow on February 19th 2016, 8:46 am

going to solid side mounts ......not worth fighting this thing , id rather be racing than spending so much time getting aggravated on fitment

avatar
5pointslow

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 29
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  Wheelie58 on February 19th 2016, 9:26 am

Here are a couple examples of custom mid plates that I have made for Fox/Hooker setups.
The open centered plate needs to be 1/4" aluminum or 3/16" steel to have strength for the starter hole.
If you ever need custom motor or mid plates, stick or automatic....just let me know.
Keith
678-458-2033


avatar
Wheelie58

Posts : 1840
Join date : 2009-08-08
Location : Alpharetta, GA

View user profile http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  dr's wife racing on February 19th 2016, 10:04 am

Wow this has been very informative. Keith I will be placing a order soon. It is my goal to have every part KFM offers on my car !
avatar
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  5pointslow on February 19th 2016, 10:51 am

keith you have a pm
avatar
5pointslow

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 29
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BigRigTech on February 19th 2016, 12:07 pm

The top drawing looks like the one you made for me. It fit great, I made a couple minor trims in the area where the header passes underneath them. The 1/2 moon cut would be where my steering column passed underneath and that is 3" lower than stock in the firewall. Otherwise I couldn't get my flaming river lower steering shaft to pass through the headers.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 757
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  Wheelie58 on February 20th 2016, 10:28 am

BigRigTech wrote:The top drawing looks like the one you made for me. It fit great, I made a couple minor trims in the area where the header passes underneath them. The 1/2 moon cut would be where my steering column passed underneath and that is 3" lower than stock in the firewall. Otherwise I couldn't get my flaming river lower steering shaft to pass through the headers.

Yes! That was yours.
A good example of how nice a custom part can be with detailed input and information during the design and creation process.
Thanks!
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
avatar
Wheelie58

Posts : 1840
Join date : 2009-08-08
Location : Alpharetta, GA

View user profile http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  BOSS 429 on February 20th 2016, 10:24 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:
BigRigTech wrote:The top drawing looks like the one you made for me. It fit great, I made a couple minor trims in the area where the header passes underneath them. The 1/2 moon cut would be where my steering column passed underneath and that is 3" lower than stock in the firewall. Otherwise I couldn't get my flaming river lower steering shaft to pass through the headers.

Yes! That was yours.
A good example of how nice a custom part can be with detailed input and information during the design and creation process.
Thanks!
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com



You make nice parts Keith, that's for sure
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  Wheelie58 on February 20th 2016, 10:49 pm

Thank you Rich!
I try....
:-)
Keith
avatar
Wheelie58

Posts : 1840
Join date : 2009-08-08
Location : Alpharetta, GA

View user profile http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  NITROUS FORD on February 21st 2016, 6:15 pm

keith's the best! Very Happy

NITROUS FORD

Posts : 63
Join date : 2011-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  bbf-falcon on February 22nd 2016, 9:28 pm

Great info guys.Probably use some of these ideas on my ole fox with swapmeet gathered bbf parts.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My midplate troubles.

Post  jbozzelle on February 23rd 2016, 1:28 pm

I think that's my plate on the bottom.  

If so, it'll fit Kooks headers with the factory engine offset.  My steering column is raised way up though, but you can easily trim that area of the plate if needed. I had to take a flapper wheel to it to finesse a spot for my column to clear as well as a few tubes on the driver side on the bottom... No big deal though

jbozzelle

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 43
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum