"MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 16th 2014, 11:54 am

I still get into disagreements with customers and their buddies over the Trick Flow website and some information on it; STILL.

If anyone refers to that website I simply tell them to buy whatever they believe is right; (I refuse to continue to try to edcucate them).

Did you know that the 4 barrel, Dominator, A460 intake manifold is referred to as "The Mafia Manifold" on that site.
Seems that I am the one getting educated here.
I was always under the impression that the newest Dominator, CJ port manifold had that moniker ... apparently that is not so with the rest of the web world.   scratch

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  dfree383 on March 16th 2014, 12:09 pm

I gave up a long time ago..... It seem the more popular the 460 gets..... We'll you know the rest.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  KY JELLY on March 16th 2014, 3:17 pm

I looked on their site and did not see anywhere either manifold was refered to that name got a link to it? I think thats a slang name that they should have marketed . I know they came and took pics of my engine with the manifold on it at the nmra back several years ago when it went 5.03 but never saw anything of it i am sure because kasse heads were under it.

I wouldnt even think about using that a460 manifold it weighs too much .
avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 16th 2014, 3:40 pm

The conversation goes something like this, Dave.

Customer:
I want that MAFIA intake manifold which everyone seems to be talking about for my SCJ' heads. Trick Flow's site says it is part number "such & such" so, will you order one for me...?

Me:
If you want the correct manifold, you don't want that part number which Trick Flow says is the MAFIA manifold., I can certainly get you the one you really want.

Customer:
At that point the customer gets defensive, his buddy starts to pester him that I surely don't know what I am talking about ... then I become the bad guy because I tell him to get it somewhere else because it will be the wrong manifold.

Another scenario which happened just yesterday:

Customer:
I got some older Motorsport A460 heads and I need that "MAFIA" intake manifold which Trick Flow sells.

Me:
The "MAFIA" manifold is not for the A460 heads, the website TEXT is not correct calling it the "Mafia Manifold" however, that manifold is the right one for you.

Customer:
As he begins leaving and says he'll get it somewhere else and he'll be sure that others know, you haven't got a clue.

NO MORE ... I will not recommend, sell, order or even talk about any Trick Flow intake manifold unless I am building the entire engine.


rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 16th 2014, 3:56 pm

KY JELLY wrote:I looked on their site and did not see anywhere either manifold was referred to that name got a link to it? I think thats a slang name that they should have marketed . I know they came and took pics of my engine with the manifold on it at the nmra back several years ago when it went 5.03 but never saw anything of it i am sure because kasse heads were under it.

I wouldnt even think about using that a460 manifold it weighs too much .

Randy
Then you missed it:
 The TFS website description listing for the TFS-54400111 intake manifold says in the NOTES that "Racers and enthusiasts refer to this intake as the MAFIA MANIFOLD".
I had an adamant customer pull it up on his phone and stick it in my face.

www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-54400111&autoview=sku

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  richter69 on March 16th 2014, 4:32 pm

I know the guy who started calling it that lol.
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 16th 2014, 5:43 pm

richter69 wrote:I know the guy who started calling it that lol.


No, No, No ... that doesn't matter.  Trick Flow is now calling a different manifold by that name,  lol!

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  KY JELLY on March 16th 2014, 5:46 pm

Yea i was looking at the tunnel ram . Next question i would ask is why would a manufacturer put a catchy name on a single carb manifold for A heads ?

I see your point
avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  c.evans on March 16th 2014, 5:51 pm

I think it's an issue where the web site designer is one guy, the engineers are another bunch, and the sales people are still another group. Then there are the secretaries also.
 
I agree that the TFS A-460 intake manifold is NOT the Mafia manifold.  The C J style manifold for a Dominator ending in part # 112 is the Mafia intake manifold.  
 
I will call them tomorrow and try to get this typo error straightened out.  Unfortunately, it's not the first time where the secretaries or whomever has gotten info screwed up.
 
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  SandHillsHillbilly on March 16th 2014, 7:09 pm

I think the web designers are clueless. Summit Racing makes the same mistakes a lot. I think it is the same web people.

If 112 is the Mafia intake then what do we call the 4150 intake? Mobster intake? Mafia heads and Mobster intake
avatar
SandHillsHillbilly

Posts : 225
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : South Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 16th 2014, 7:18 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:I think the web designers are clueless. Summit Racing makes the same mistakes a lot. I think it is the same web people.

If 112 is the Mafia intake then what do we call the 4150 intake? Mobster intake? Mafia heads and Mobster intake

I have always called their regular port, 4150 manifold the "Track Heat".
I haven't looked so, maybe I have that all wrong, too.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  Lem Evans on March 16th 2014, 7:40 pm

I'm looking at the lastest printed TFS catalog. No mention of the "mafia" name.

For refer:

TFS-53400111 = Track Heat 4150 flanged manifold....like Randy said.

TFS-53400112 = R-Series - 4500 flanged - CJ port - AKA "Mafia"

TFS-54400111 = A460 - 4500 flanged

Lem Evans

Posts : 7018
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  c.evans on March 16th 2014, 10:35 pm

Well, it seems like they have got it right in the catalog, good for them. However, the link that Randy gave us to their website, when you go to it, they are calling the A-460 manifold the Mafia manifold. The web site is whats wrong.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  Lem Evans on March 17th 2014, 9:57 am

c.evans wrote:Well, it seems like they have got it right in the catalog, good for them.  However, the link that Randy gave us to their website, when you go to it, they are calling the A-460 manifold the Mafia manifold.  The web site is whats wrong.

Charlie

Yes, I know the website is wrong cyclops . Just letting folks know where the correct info is.
The printed catalog can be viewed online too.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7018
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 17th 2014, 11:34 am

It seems that people who visit this forum are not any problem with this because they know how this whole manifold for CJ ports and Dominator carb pad got prototyped and produced.
The other ones, (or their buddies), who read a website and now "know it all" because they quote that site as gospel are the ones who are the perpetrators of spreading this misinformation.

"Coug's" probably pulling his hair out about now ...  lol!

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  jasonf on March 17th 2014, 12:30 pm

On another Trick Flow note, I spoke with a rep in Cleveland at the Summit Piston Power show this weekend. I asked him why these intakes are not available already drilled for efi being that it would only be one more step in their machining process and it would be a lot easier to buy one finished then have to ship it off and spend another $500 to have it converted after purchasing. He agreed being they offer the sbf intake already drilled and said he would bring it up.
avatar
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2761
Join date : 2009-07-14
Age : 48
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  466cj on March 17th 2014, 4:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:The conversation goes something like this, Dave.

Customer:
I want that MAFIA intake manifold which everyone seems to be talking about for my SCJ' heads. Trick Flow's site says it is part number "such & such" so, will you order one for me...?

Me:
If you want the correct manifold, you don't want that part number which Trick Flow says is the MAFIA manifold., I can certainly get you the one you really want.

Customer:
At that point the customer gets defensive, his buddy starts to pester him that I surely don't know what I am talking about ... then I become the bad guy because I tell him to get it somewhere else because it will be the wrong manifold.

Another scenario which happened just yesterday:

Customer:
I got some older Motorsport A460 heads and I need that "MAFIA" intake manifold which Trick Flow sells.

Me:
The "MAFIA" manifold is not for the A460 heads, the website TEXT is not correct calling it the "Mafia Manifold" however, that manifold is the right one for you.

Customer:
As he begins leaving and says he'll get it somewhere else and he'll be sure that others know, you haven't got a clue.

NO MORE ... I will not recommend, sell, order or even talk about any Trick Flow intake manifold unless I am building the entire engine.


Hey if it was on a web page it must be true.  Razz  Really I just don't understand guys that think like that and TFS makes some nice stuff, but they sure can make things confusing at times. Hopefully they get it all fixed up.

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  Lem Evans on March 17th 2014, 7:19 pm

The world was infested with typos and uncorrected errors long before Al Gore invented the internet [ Suspect ].
 
The difference is that now those that, heretofore, only read comic books are now reading the internet......sooo, many more people are exposed to the typos and errors & repeat them more often.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7018
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  466cj on March 17th 2014, 10:44 pm

Understand typos, errors, and car magazines... what gets me is when you ask someone to order a part and he explains it is an error and will get you the right part, the part you are actually asking for only to get an argument and told you're wrong is what gets me. Now if the wrong part shows up can see it, but not out of the box.

Guys seem to get too wrapped up in the detail of this stuff when should be more interested in results. JMO

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  psfracer on March 18th 2014, 4:35 pm

Well, when that customer does order the manifold, and it doesn't fit, you will be proven right in the end.......
avatar
psfracer

Posts : 774
Join date : 2010-10-22
Location : Valencia, CA

View user profile http://www.psfracer.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  466cj on March 18th 2014, 6:17 pm

psfracer wrote:Well, when that customer does order the manifold, and it doesn't fit, you will be proven right in the end.......

Yeah, and do you think that guy will come back and say he was wrong?  Shocked 

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  supervel45 on March 18th 2014, 10:33 pm

Cast Mafia into the Intake, and write it on the box and be done with it, like everyone else pretty much does, for their named intakes. Then I guess put A B C D E F SCJ ASCJ THOR GenII A429 A460 DOVE, oh well nevermind. Suspect 

supervel45

Posts : 3067
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  kjett on March 26th 2014, 8:42 am

I think they got it fixed. Pull that page back up again and hit refresh on your browser and it doesn't say that anymore. It's now shows the "Mafia Intake" under the TFS-53400112 R-series intake. Sounds like somebody finally kicked the web guy in the nuts to fix it.

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2D53400112&autoview=sku

Copy from the notes:

Racers and enthusiasts refer to this intake manifold as the "Mafia Manifold". This intake manifold fits all cylinder heads designed for use with all Ford 429/460 engines, except Trick Flow PowerPort® A460 series heads. Single Holley 4500 Dominator-style carburetor mounting flange.


avatar
kjett

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  rmcomprandy on March 26th 2014, 10:40 am

kjett wrote:I think they got it fixed. Pull that page back up again and hit refresh on your browser and it doesn't say that anymore. It's now shows the "Mafia Intake" under the TFS-53400112 R-series intake. Sounds like somebody finally kicked the web guy in the nuts to fix it.

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2D53400112&autoview=sku

Copy from the notes:



I went right to the website and pulled the 112 manifold up and just like your link, they have changed it. It does say "Mafia Manifold" on the first line of the notes. However, it says this manifold fits A460 cylinder heads.

In one place it says the manifold is 6.740" tall and in another it says it is 8.600" tall so it has half the description for both manifolds.

The description for the #111 manifold for the A460 heads seems to be correct now.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "MAFIA" manifold is NOT what I thought it was

Post  kjett on March 26th 2014, 12:17 pm

Thats odd that it shows 2 different ways from web browser to the next. I even copied what I saw in the notes on mine and it said "except Trick Flow PowerPort®️ A460 series heads."  Question 

It is however funny that the height difference is there from the specs to the decription section. Might be time to go kick them in the nuts again. king
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1121
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum