BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam break in questions

4 posters

Go down

Cam break in questions Empty Cam break in questions

Post  Bigred69 May 21st 2014, 9:55 am

Ok, guys it's been kind of a long road for me and my project,so here goes. I yanked the used 429 motor out of my car because it was smoking . Probably needs to be gone through, so that's that. So, last week I bought a freshly rebuilt 460 (flat tappet) motor, that was built to police interceptor specs . I spoke with the shop that rebuilt it , and he said I need to break in the cam. Now, I have read some pretty spooky stuff about guys wiping lobes on cams. My plan was to  spin the oil pump so that I have oil in the galley and bearings. Add the Lucas additive to some racing oil , and prime my new carb so that it starts right up. Let run 25 minutes at 2000RPM. I really want this motor to be broken in properly. Is there anything you guys can add ,so that I do this successfully ? The motor was built 3 years ago, and still has assembly lube dripping off of everything. And it stayed wrapped in shrink wrap and a large plastic bag. It is still bare metal , not even painted, and obviously has no run time on it. Thanks for any info.
Bigred69
Bigred69

Back to top Go down

Cam break in questions Empty Re: Cam break in questions

Post  Gregaust May 22nd 2014, 5:40 am

What cam and what valvesprings is the big question? With a hydraulic cam and springs with open pressures under 300 psi is the rule of thumb you should be good to go as is

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Bigred69 May 22nd 2014, 6:16 am

Pretty much stock grind, with single springs. That is what I thought ,thanks
Bigred69
Bigred69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. May 22nd 2014, 7:25 am

Prime the oil system until it oils the rockers before you start it.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 May 23rd 2014, 3:32 pm

Dave C. wrote:Prime the oil system until it oils the rockers before you start it.
x2
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down