early model 429 or late model 460

Go down

early model 429 or late model 460

Post  oneemtb on August 25th 2014, 11:44 am

Hi folks, I'm new to the site and I'm building a 71 F-100. I have a 70's 429 and a 80's 460 was wondering if one would be better to build than the other. I plan on building a strong engine and using a lot of nitrous. Wondering if there is much difference in the two? This truck is going to be a major sleeper. (like farm truck). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!
Steve

oneemtb

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-08-24
Location : Texas Panhandle

View user profile http://oneemtb@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  dfree383 on August 25th 2014, 12:15 pm

How much power is a lot? How big of hit are you planning on spraying?

What heads you plan on using? How big you plan on making the engine?
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14161
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse on August 25th 2014, 12:47 pm

dfree383 wrote:How much power is a lot? How big of hit are you planning on spraying?

What heads you plan on using? How big you plan on making the engine?

How fast do wannabe?
avatar
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Posts : 171
Join date : 2014-07-08
Location : North Central Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  kim on August 25th 2014, 1:56 pm

Either block is a great starting point for anything up to about 850 hp. Tear em both apart and have them sonic checked and magnafluxed. Decide on which one to use based on the results. Save the other for a spare. Best way to build a powerhouse is build a stroker combination. 540 to 572 with a manageable 250 hit and 800 something is a can of cake. All you need is a tire sponser. Because a pickup is going to roast em like mad.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks!!!

Post  oneemtb on August 25th 2014, 9:19 pm

Thanks for the info!! I was planning on making a stroker out of it. I am not sure on the heads yet. I have a set of DOVE heads but am sure I will probably end up going after market. I would love to get at least 850 HP if not more. I may end up going to a 4 bolt main block and yes I see the $$$ signs. I plan on spending a lot on this little cream puff!! LOL.... As far as getting it to hook I have a few ideas on that. I also have a 56 Studebaker with a narrowed 9" and 35x19.50-15's on it so I may mini-tub this 71. So this isn't my first rodeo with that. I tried to get the pics of the stude to load but had some troubles, hopefully later. (P.S it has a BBF in it too!!) If I can get a smaller set of slicks to fit under it and a little weight transfer maybe I can refrain from buying my tire guy a new house!!
Thanks for the info!! I will be in touch!!
Steve

oneemtb

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-08-24
Location : Texas Panhandle

View user profile http://oneemtb@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Reply to dark horse

Post  oneemtb on August 25th 2014, 9:25 pm

FAST!!!!! REALLY FAST!!!!

oneemtb

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-08-24
Location : Texas Panhandle

View user profile http://oneemtb@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  69F100 on August 25th 2014, 9:34 pm

oneemtb wrote:Thanks for the info!! I was planning on making a stroker out of it. I am not sure on the heads yet. I have a set of DOVE heads but am sure I will probably end up going after market. I would love to get at least 850 HP if not more. I may end up going to a 4 bolt main block and yes I see the $$$ signs. I plan on spending a lot on this little cream puff!! LOL.... As far as getting it to hook I have a few ideas on that. I also have a 56 Studebaker with a narrowed 9" and 35x19.50-15's on it so I may mini-tub this 71. So this isn't my first rodeo with that. I tried to get the pics of the stude to load but had some troubles, hopefully later. (P.S it has a BBF in it too!!) If I can get a smaller set of slicks to fit under it and a little weight transfer maybe I can refrain from buying my tire guy a new house!!
Thanks for the info!! I will be in touch!!
Steve

I have had 29x10.5 slicks on my 69 F100 that about as big that will fit with out mods. I put 3/4 ton springs out of a 64 and took a couple leaves out of them. My truck hooked great after the spring change I still have them under it make for a stiff ride. I was only running a little over 500hp when I swapped springs.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5148
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reply 69 F100

Post  oneemtb on August 25th 2014, 9:59 pm

So using stiffer springs helped you hook up? How does your weight transfer? That's cool to know. Did you lift the front any? How were your ET's with 500 HP?
I love the body style!! My first truck was a 72 F-100, gutless wonder!!! Always wanted to build it but never had the cash!

oneemtb

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-08-24
Location : Texas Panhandle

View user profile http://oneemtb@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  dfree383 on August 26th 2014, 9:17 am

If your looking a spending money on 4 bolt caps and making really big power..... Start with an aftermarket block you'll be miles ahead.

A460 block FTW!

And you'll be able to build it real big for a nominal additional investment.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14161
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Any Recommendations DFree

Post  oneemtb on August 26th 2014, 10:09 am

dfree you have any suggestions on the best or at least a good after market block or who is a good source for one. This will be the first stroker I have ever built so I am open to suggestions.

oneemtb

Posts : 9
Join date : 2014-08-24
Location : Texas Panhandle

View user profile http://oneemtb@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  dfree383 on August 26th 2014, 11:41 am

I've used A460 blocks from Ford Racing on my big builds, Lem Evans at BF Evans Ford is a great source for Ford Racing Parts or you have a company called http://www.eliminatorproducts.com/category/14.aspx they offer some nice BBF blocks.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14161
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  kim on August 26th 2014, 11:51 am

A460 block. 4.625" bore. 4.5" stroke crank. 604 cu inch engine. Get some A or better C or BT thore heads.. 1100+ hp and torque.... add a little spray or forced induction and 1500 to 2000 without much effort at all.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: early model 429 or late model 460

Post  69F100 on August 26th 2014, 12:35 pm

oneemtb wrote:So using stiffer springs helped you hook up? How does your weight transfer? That's cool to know. Did you lift the front any? How were your ET's with 500 HP?
I love the body style!! My first truck was a 72 F-100, gutless wonder!!! Always wanted to build it but never had the cash!

Not sure on the ET the only time I carried it to the track the timing system had got hit by lightening I use to street race it some back then but before someone gets bent out of shape I DO NOT STREET RACE ANYMORE Exclamation I out ran a Falcon that was suppose to be running high 7s in the 1/8 but when I crossed the line and got on the brakes it wouldn't stop quick enough yes I almost had to clean the seat drum brakes not good on the drag strip so I loaded it back up. The truck is all stock body no lightening of any kind frontend only thing been done to it was disc brakes out of a 74 model added and new stock big block springs. If I ever get finished upgrading the Ranger I am going to get back to work on the 69 and may put my 460 that I took out of the ranger in it.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5148
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum