So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  ThndrChkn on September 1st 2014, 11:55 pm

So last week I'm talking with my friend and fellow Ford racer here in Montana ... He said he read someplace but can't remember where, the Ford will be allowed to run a FORD in NHRA Pro Stock starting in 2015, instead of the NHRA Spec Engine with a Ford part #

Has anyone else heard anything ?
avatar
ThndrChkn

Posts : 2216
Join date : 2008-12-04
Age : 51
Location : Helena, Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Hardy on September 2nd 2014, 9:14 am

You heard a false rumor. They don't run "spec engines" in pro stock and no "ford" engine would be as competitive as what Larry Morgan currently runs. These things spin close to 11000 rpm and make alMost 1500 hp at 500 ci

Hardy

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-05-19
Location : Wisconsin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  maverick on September 2nd 2014, 12:00 pm

Doug, it probably won't matter what engine they run if the mother company won't step up with some $$$ and development help.
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  BigBlockRanger on September 2nd 2014, 5:07 pm

Larry said he gets next to zilch from Ford and only runs it because it'd be too expensive to switch.

Ford's Pro Stock comeback was DOA.
avatar
BigBlockRanger

Posts : 699
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : Amarillo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  ThndrChkn on September 2nd 2014, 6:34 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:Larry said he gets next to zilch from Ford and only runs it because it'd be too expensive to switch.

Ford's Pro Stock comeback was DOA.

That's what he told me last spring in Vegas when I was talking to him ... Not a good situation for sure ...
avatar
ThndrChkn

Posts : 2216
Join date : 2008-12-04
Age : 51
Location : Helena, Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  maverick on September 2nd 2014, 6:37 pm

I heard that the new guy making the racing decisions at Ford jerked the rug out from under 'em.
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Moodyblues on September 2nd 2014, 8:06 pm

maverick wrote:I heard that the new guy making the racing decisions at Ford jerked the rug out from under 'em.

This ^^^^^^^ he wants to spend the majority of the racing budget in Indy car where the engines are about 3 million.
avatar
Moodyblues

Posts : 1164
Join date : 2009-08-19
Age : 58
Location : Jasper, TN

View user profile http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Moodyblues on September 2nd 2014, 8:19 pm

I thought that with Cunningham there were some Wedge heads to be developed and then something happened with them. Im sure there are more experts on here than me. The thing that bothers me about Larry is he has been doing this thing for 3 years with no apparent improvement and keeps breaking parts like valve springs etc. He is not way off but yet he is.
avatar
Moodyblues

Posts : 1164
Join date : 2009-08-19
Age : 58
Location : Jasper, TN

View user profile http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Lem Evans on September 2nd 2014, 9:27 pm

Ford is not gonna spend any more money on pro & no stock racing and they should not.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7102
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  68formalGT on September 2nd 2014, 10:01 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Ford is not gonna spend any more money on pro & no stock racing and they should not.
X2, with the way they wrote the bore spacing rules factory Ford specs were ruled out. I kinda wish Ford would have pulled all their sponsorship money for all classes affected.
avatar
68formalGT

Posts : 784
Join date : 2012-02-13
Location : Pueblo West, Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  bbf-falcon on September 2nd 2014, 10:38 pm

Just my 2c but the SuperCobraJet/CoPo/Challenger program is a helluva lot more of a profitable racing sponsorship venture for the BIG three than a Funny Car/ProStock program in Racing sponsorship.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Lem Evans on September 2nd 2014, 10:42 pm

Every time a 500" Dodge Dart wins a race people run to the show room and buy a Dart.....NOT.Rolling Eyes

Lem Evans

Posts : 7102
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Lem Evans on September 2nd 2014, 10:46 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Just my 2c but the SuperCobraJet/CoPo/Challenger program is a helluva lot more of a profitable racing sponsorship venture for the BIG three than a Funny Car/ProStock program in Racing sponsorship.

Ford being a funny car sponsor was just throwing money away i.m.o.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7102
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  bbf-falcon on September 3rd 2014, 12:57 am

I just wonder why it took so long for them too see that. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  bbf-falcon on September 3rd 2014, 4:23 am

ThndrChkn wrote:So last week I'm talking with my friend and fellow Ford racer here in Montana ...  He said he read someplace but can't remember where, the Ford will be allowed to run a FORD in NHRA Pro Stock starting in 2015, instead of the NHRA Spec Engine with a Ford part #

Has anyone else heard anything ?

The current Ford engine is
basically the second generation Dodge P/S Hemi motor (unskirted block with a few minor tweaks.The DRCE blocks are produced by Cattapillar i believe.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  maverick on September 3rd 2014, 9:04 am

Lem Evans wrote:Ford is not gonna spend any more money on pro & no stock racing and they should not.

"ProStock" sounds like a professional driving in a stocker. I can't think of any components on a ProStocker that I could afford to buy. Rolling Eyes

Backing the little guy sportsman class racers makes perfect money sense to me. ProStock, Funny Car, Indy Car....all fun to watch, but so is girls beach volleyball...and completely disconnected from the showroom.
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  maverick on September 3rd 2014, 9:16 am

Say, Lem...I'm shopping for a bikini and a volleyball. You got 'em in stock?
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Lem Evans on September 3rd 2014, 9:30 am

maverick wrote:Say, Lem...I'm shopping for a bikini and a volleyball.  You got 'em in stock?

Special order..... Laughing

Lem Evans

Posts : 7102
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  ThndrChkn on September 3rd 2014, 9:54 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
ThndrChkn wrote:So last week I'm talking with my friend and fellow Ford racer here in Montana ...  He said he read someplace but can't remember where, the Ford will be allowed to run a FORD in NHRA Pro Stock starting in 2015, instead of the NHRA Spec Engine with a Ford part #

Has anyone else heard anything ?

The current Ford engine is
basically the second generation Dodge P/S Hemi motor (unskirted block with a few minor tweaks.The DRCE blocks are produced by Cattapillar i believe.

That's what I was getting at ... They made a few subtle changes and put a Ford part number on it ? I say BS that a "True Ford" wouldn't be competitive ...  Back before NHRA banned the Ford block due to a "New Bore Spacing Rule", I read an article about Pat and (I think) Bucky Austin and their off season testing efforts with a Boss 429 based funny car engine, and they were running track record ET's ... I know funny car is not Pro Stock, but I still believe a "True Ford" would be competitive ...

I'm not saying Ford should sponsor anything, but a "Factory Hotrod" or so they're called should be just that ... Regardless of brand, if you're driving any specific brand, ALL of said brand parts should be of specific brand manufacture ... Competitive or not ...
avatar
ThndrChkn

Posts : 2216
Join date : 2008-12-04
Age : 51
Location : Helena, Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  dfree383 on September 3rd 2014, 10:42 am

Lem Evans wrote:Every time a 500" Dodge Dart wins a race people run to the show room and buy a Dart.....NOT.Rolling Eyes  

X2 when they start putting stock parts back into pro stock they might have something to work with.

The win on Sunday, sell on Monday is a thing of the past since nobody can buy what the run on the show room..... with the exception of the super stock and stock stuff.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  dfree383 on September 3rd 2014, 10:43 am

ThndrChkn wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:
ThndrChkn wrote:So last week I'm talking with my friend and fellow Ford racer here in Montana ...  He said he read someplace but can't remember where, the Ford will be allowed to run a FORD in NHRA Pro Stock starting in 2015, instead of the NHRA Spec Engine with a Ford part #

Has anyone else heard anything ?

The current Ford engine is
basically the second generation Dodge P/S Hemi motor (unskirted block with a few minor tweaks.The DRCE blocks are produced by Cattapillar i believe.

That's what I was getting at ... They made a few subtle changes and put a Ford part number on it ? I say BS that a "True Ford" wouldn't be competitive ...  Back before NHRA banned the Ford block due to a "New Bore Spacing Rule", I read an article about Pat and (I think) Bucky Austin and their off season testing efforts with a Boss 429 based funny car engine, and they were running track record ET's ... I know funny car is not Pro Stock, but I still believe a "True Ford" would be competitive ...

I'm not saying Ford should sponsor anything, but a "Factory Hotrod" or so they're called should be just that ... Regardless of brand, if you're driving any specific brand, ALL of said brand parts should be of specific brand manufacture ... Competitive or not ...
Got a few hundred million to invest in a loosing cause? Step up to the plate ! lol!
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  ThndrChkn on September 3rd 2014, 11:17 am

No thanks ... The NHRA is seeing to it that Larry Morgan has that part covered pretty well ...
avatar
ThndrChkn

Posts : 2216
Join date : 2008-12-04
Age : 51
Location : Helena, Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Moodyblues on September 3rd 2014, 12:36 pm

Well I guess people go watch a indy race and go out and buy a Ford Monday morning? Whats the difference? Its called advertising. Lets see how things work out when Force doesn't have Ford on his car in the future. There were a ton of interviews with him at the US Nationals and that Blue oval all over the car behind him.


avatar
Moodyblues

Posts : 1164
Join date : 2009-08-19
Age : 58
Location : Jasper, TN

View user profile http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  bbf-falcon on September 3rd 2014, 3:21 pm

Does that get you all fired up and want to go out and buy a new Mustang? Not me.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I heard a rumor last week.....

Post  Moodyblues on September 3rd 2014, 3:37 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Does that get you all fired up and want to go out and buy a new Mustang? Not me.

Well I have a F-250, a Ford race car, and im proud to see my brand out there competing against the bad guys. So, you're ok with all the money going to Indy car? If your going to cut the budget, cut it all based on the premises that it doesn't sell cars on Monday.
avatar
Moodyblues

Posts : 1164
Join date : 2009-08-19
Age : 58
Location : Jasper, TN

View user profile http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum