BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget Street/Strip Stroker Build Advice w/ Existing Parts plus???

+8
the Coug
maverick
butterbean
dfree383
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
gmsmkr
rmcomprandy
FalconEh
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Budget Street/Strip Stroker Build Advice w/ Existing Parts plus??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Budget Street/Strip Stroker Build Advice w/ Existing Parts plus???

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 10:36 pm

the Coug wrote:Hey if you are so worried about rod ratio maybe you should stick to the Clevelands. like I said Rod ratios are over rated, I repeat ROD RATIOS ARE OVER RATED   if you want a high rod ratio build a 3.59 stroke  with a 4.44 bore piston  with a 6.8 rod then you will have a big ratio, you seem to think they are so important....

No Offence Inended Coug, I was just trying to explain why I am more comfortable with a smaller 528" STREET/strip motor heavily fed by the gas, not to argue the big inch stroker which not only has in my opinion too much torque for my application, just following my experience from my heavily nitroused clevelands and the differences of how the bigger strokers did not seem to like as much nitrous... in a cleveland at least.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Budget Street/Strip Stroker Build Advice w/ Existing Parts plus??? - Page 3 Empty Re: Budget Street/Strip Stroker Build Advice w/ Existing Parts plus???

Post  the Coug September 5th 2014, 10:41 pm

ok then a lot of the guys on here are really doing it wrong then like Blake with a 588, Richter with a 563 and many many others they have big cubes and Nos
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 10:42 pm

gmsmkr wrote:Aluminum rods are great I know lots of guys that run them

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=pnAKVPaZNcTxgwTmyIC4AQ&url=http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/engine/debunking-aluminum-rod-myths-with-grp/&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHLiRR9AKKQHuiUDGvZ3vEPlsOKKA - Dragzine here is a good read

Nice, .010 thicker head gasket, higher RPM, and reasonable longevity... I may in the misconception crowd scratch
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 10:45 pm

the Coug wrote:ok then a lot of the guys on here are really doing it wrong then like Blake with a 588, Richter with a 563 and many many others they have big cubes and Nos

No No No, I am not saying that Coug... I mentioned "what I am comfortable with and not being an authority on the topic...just a hillbilly looking to build a new car with a little help from his friends, or maybe the people that will listen, or experienced willing to share. Sad
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 5th 2014, 10:52 pm

my next build will be 600"s plus and moar nitrous.......;-)
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr September 5th 2014, 10:54 pm

richter69 wrote:my next build will be 600"s plus and moar nitrous.......;-)

affraid
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 10:54 pm

richter69 wrote:my next build will be 600"s plus and moar nitrous.......;-)

I'm not worthy...accumilated some parts got to get into the big Clevelands now!
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 5th 2014, 11:00 pm

Im buildin a 9.2 deck r block deal for a guy right now, will see a good bit of spray
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 11:05 pm

richter69 wrote:Im buildin a 9.2 deck r block deal for a guy right now, will see a good bit of spray

I think my bro might have a set of aluminum Yates Ernie Elliot CNC'd Aluminum heads he is willing to sell but they take the Yates style pistons mostly only available in ++ bore sizes of couse.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 5th 2014, 11:11 pm

gonna use the P38s, this guy aint that baller..... only reason for the r block is he got a deal on it lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 11:14 pm

Have a couple std bore 4-bolts lying around if he wants to trade ( oh no 1-is .010)... lol!
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 11:19 pm

Dave De wrote:Hey Falcon,
We are similar, my pro-street runs 9.20s in good air at 148mph on motor and the street cant take the power but at the track I could use a shot to put it into the 8s. I cant put my foot to the wood without it going up in smoke even at 70mph.
I wonder how these street racers do it. They must have aluminum small blocks to reduce the nose weight.

If my track was an hour away I'd still trailer it.

Hey Dave De,
What is your take on the buy/build knowing what it is and where I am going with it...as the description says your opinion counts!
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 5th 2014, 11:20 pm

I don't understand the purpose of this entire thread.  scratch
The guy asks for "THOUGHTS" and when they don't agrtee with his own, just wishes to argue with almost everybody.

Build it however you want with whatever rod ratio "floats your boat"  if you already have a plan of what you are going to do and simply using this forum to try and get justification for those plans; see ya later and have a good day.  flower

An OEM 429/460 block is NOT even close to sharing the weaknesses of a Cleveland block by any stretch of the imagination so, stop even trying to float a comparison between the two.  Rolling Eyes

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 11:29 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:I don't understand the purpose of this entire thread.  scratch
The guy asks for "THOUGHTS" and when they don't agrtee with his own, just wishes to argue with almost everybody.

Build it however you want with whatever rod ratio "floats your boat"  if you already have a plan of what you are going to do and simply using this forum to try and get justification for those plans; see ya later and have a good day.  flower

An OEM 429/460 block is NOT even close to sharing the weaknesses of a Cleveland block by any stretch of the imagination so, stop even trying to float a comparison between the two.  Rolling Eyes

I sent you a PM
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 11:57 pm

[quote="FalconEh"]
rmcomprandy wrote:I don't understand the purpose of this entire thread.  scratch

I am not arguing I am debating based off if my best judgement, the more information and opinions presented breed a more in depth conversation, which is part of getting to know those who are providing the answers, because I do not take the first response as gospel does not mean I am arguing with the higher powers I am just looking for further detail to make a properly informed decision. I am not using this forum to justify my plans, or offend any of it's members, including you rmcomprandy I replied to you with many questions however I guess uninformed people like me must get on your nerves, oe maybe it is just me for that I am sorry, I am here because I have the Blue Oval blood running through my veins, I watched many posts before signing up looked at the pictures and have lived vicariously through many of the members projects, all while thinking of what my next one will be. As for the cleveland comparison I have wanted to make the change for a long time and that is another reason I am here(only collected parts until now), so I apologize that that is the only comparision that I have ,including the Clevelands weaknesses for the last 30 years. I am not blessed with your engine knowledge, or machining ability but I am willing to contribute and learn...sorry I am arguing again.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 6th 2014, 12:25 am

Hey man dont sweat it...... everyone gets on his nerves, it'll be A OK I promise lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 6th 2014, 12:35 am

Thanks Richter69...nuf said!
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 6th 2014, 8:23 am

Falcon get you a 4.3 forged crank a set of 6.8 rods and a set of .030 pistons and you have a 521 a set of SCJ heads and it will eat like a big dog good combo same money andyou will be happy...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 6th 2014, 10:48 am

the Coug wrote:Falcon get you a 4.3 forged crank a set of 6.8 rods and a set of .030 pistons and you have a 521 a set of SCJ heads and it will eat like a big dog good combo same money andyou will be happy...

Did coug just say "Happy" ????
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior September 6th 2014, 12:12 pm

dfree383 wrote:
the Coug wrote:Falcon get you a 4.3 forged crank a set of 6.8 rods and a set of .030 pistons and you have a 521 a set of SCJ heads and it will eat like a big dog good combo same money andyou will be happy...

Did coug just say "Happy" ????

Shocking... isn't it ?
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 6th 2014, 12:14 pm

saying and being...... not the same
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 6th 2014, 1:51 pm

I don't mind giving pertenant information but, when the conversation gets around to comparing the bad points of apples against grapefruits ... I won't be in that conversation and I have no understanding why it is even taking place.

engines
fruits
motorcycles
cars
houses
trailers
etc. whatever
ONE has NOTHING to do with most concepts of another.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 6th 2014, 4:32 pm

A 501 costs the same to build as a 557? What about starting with a seasoned block and letting grow as needed? Eliminating the exception block that after sonic testing can actually live with a 4.5 inch bore shouldn't most overbores start at +.030 and end at +.080?
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 6th 2014, 7:57 pm

Dark Horse of Apocalypse wrote:A 501 costs the same to build as a 557? What about starting with a seasoned block and letting grow as needed? Eliminating the exception block that after sonic testing can actually live with a 4.5 inch bore shouldn't most overbores start at +.030 and end at +.080?

I think you should take your money and go buy a Clue those engines take almost none of the same parts except the block. they use different cranks and way different pistons so if you go smaller and decide to go bigger you have to almost start over from scratch. Now it is your money, if I were you I would forget spending it wisely and just blow the heck out of it. evidently you have a money Tree, so blow it away.....oh you are worried about the block a stock block will be the least expensive thing in the build. do what you want what ever makes your drawers happy.

One thing I don't understand is why you guys always come here and ask questions that you evidently already know the answers too?

have a great life
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 6th 2014, 8:15 pm

Hey guy just for the sake of it I have 2 534 short blocks here and I would love for you to guess how much cash I have in each one.
If you look and wait and search for parts this is what you can build...

#1 534 scj 4 bolt block
Eagle 4340 forged crank 4.3 stroke
Eagle 6.8 H beam rods
Diamond 4.44 13.5 to 1 pistons

#2 534 Boss 429 Block
Eagle 4.3 4340 forged crank
Eagle 6.8 H beam rods
Eagle 4.44 Hemi Pistons 13.7 to 1
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next