429 issues !!

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 11:44 am

Not that i dont agree that ur right on the heads and cam making it run better . Its obvious. That it ran better before . But id rather spend money to make more power than before . Not spend money and have what i had

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  dfree383 on October 2nd 2014, 12:03 pm

You have a few N/A options......

1 keep what you have and Add the inches 521-557 to get the combo inline with a heavy car and get it to run like it should and last.

2 don't add the inches and get a way looser convertor, a lot more gear and a better valve train and spin it to the moon knowing it's not going to last.

3 Put a way smaller cam in it and keep your convertor and gearing.

The carb is not a deal breaker right now but a dominator will run better especially when you add the cubes. But don't expect a dominator to go any faster unless you change what you have now the small carb
Is probably actual helping you right now.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 12:08 pm

With adding cubic inch. Is the compression ok or should i look into a higher compression the car is mainly a strip caR might drive it in town for a cruise here and there

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  dfree383 on October 2nd 2014, 12:18 pm

11.5:1 is the nomans land IMO. At that point you being stupid, Either your building a race car or not.

Race car = 14:1+ and race fuel

Real street car = 10.5:1 or less and pump gas


Compression makes them fast.

avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 12:30 pm

Guess ill have to decide that when the time comes . Thanks for in input guys !

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  IDT-572 on October 2nd 2014, 1:20 pm

557 same heads same cam and a dommy it will break shit Twisted Evil
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 1:48 pm

IDT-572 wrote:557 same heads same cam and a dommy it will break shit Twisted Evil
Haha im fine with breakin shit if its because its makin power ! . Sucks goin to the track with high hopes and runnin 12s . Hahaha. Which i dont claim to be an engine guy. I just trusted a guy that was supposed to know whats up .. obviously not !

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  the Coug on October 2nd 2014, 2:03 pm

linearfab wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:557 same heads same cam and a dommy it will break shit Twisted Evil
Haha im fine with breakin shit if its because its makin power !  . Sucks goin to the track with high hopes and runnin 12s . Hahaha. Which i dont claim to be an engine guy. I just trusted a guy that was supposed to know whats up .. obviously not !


guy the guys on here Most will lead you in the right direction just have to Listen, Most have been there done that....
avatar
the Coug

Posts : 3055
Join date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 2:35 pm

the Coug wrote:
linearfab wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:557 same heads same cam and a dommy it will break shit Twisted Evil
Haha im fine with breakin shit if its because its makin power !  . Sucks goin to the track with high hopes and runnin 12s . Hahaha. Which i dont claim to be an engine guy. I just trusted a guy that was supposed to know whats up .. obviously not !


guy the guys on here Most will lead you in the right direction just have to Listen, Most have been there done that....

Thats why i registered on here .

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 2:44 pm

I no with small block stuff when u start messin with different strokes the block has to be clearanced . Is that also true for the bbf?

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  IDT-572 on October 2nd 2014, 3:01 pm

Not with the BBF, just bore 080 over(most block will do this) and drop it in..............
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  rmcomprandy on October 2nd 2014, 3:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:You have a few N/A options......

1 keep what you have and Add the inches 521-557 to get the combo inline with a heavy car and get it to run like it should and last.

2 don't add the inches and get a way looser convertor, a lot more gear and a better valve train and spin it to the moon knowing it's not going to last.

3 Put a way smaller cam in it and keep your convertor and gearing.

The carb is not a deal breaker right now but a dominator will run better especially when you add the cubes. But don't expect a dominator to go any faster unless you change what you have now the small carb
Is probably actual helping you right now.

It doesn't matter what anyone CAN do if they have 8 bent intake valves.
SCJ heads ... BIG camshaft ... Didn't have new notches machined in the flat top pistons = bent intake valves.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  IDT-572 on October 2nd 2014, 3:09 pm

I was thinking this was a Dooe-r head, piston notching is in his future too. Looks like they should be hitting now.
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  rmcomprandy on October 2nd 2014, 3:14 pm

IDT-572 wrote:I was thinking this was a Dooe-r head, piston notching is in his future too. Looks like they should be hitting now.

When he said he used to have IRON heads I figured these are now the aluminum SCJ ... but, maybe not.

This could be something like having a Super Victor intake manifold, though.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 3:20 pm

Ya . Sorry. "Victor460" intake . They are the new alum scj head

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  69bluehotrod on October 2nd 2014, 3:28 pm

I might have missed it... but I did not see it the cam is installed advanced or straight up.. or Retarded ... Suspect
If you have the valve clearance have you tried to advance the cam??? before I would go throwing $$$$ at it ... I would at least give it a try... if you haven't already.
avatar
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 819
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 55
Location : Grand Prairie, TX.

View user profile http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 3:30 pm

The pistons have valve reliefs in them . I just recently had the heads off because of a broken lifter .  While the heads wher off i had  new  PAC springs and retainers Put on them  as recommended by bullet .  Heads checked out fine ?  No marks on the pistons from valve contact  so.


Cam is in straight up

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  69bluehotrod on October 2nd 2014, 3:36 pm

linearfab wrote:The pistons have valve reliefs in them . I just recently had the heads off because of a broken lifter .  While the heads wher off i had  new  PAC springs and retainers Put on them  as recommended by bullet .  Heads checked out fine ?  No marks on the pistons from valve contact  so.  


Cam is in straight up

I would move it to 2* +   I bet it will help... I personally have never had any of my fords from  SB to BB run good unless I advanced the cam at least 2*...
although the cam you have is a bit big... it is not a monster by any means...

I am however in agreement that more cubes is always a good thing....lol
avatar
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 819
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 55
Location : Grand Prairie, TX.

View user profile http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  dfree383 on October 2nd 2014, 4:18 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:You have a few N/A options......

1 keep what you have and Add the inches 521-557 to get the combo inline with a heavy car and get it to run like it should and last.

2 don't add the inches and get a way looser convertor, a lot more gear and a better valve train and spin it to the moon knowing it's not going to last.

3 Put a way smaller cam in it and keep your convertor and gearing.

The carb is not a deal breaker right now but a dominator will run better especially when you add the cubes. But don't expect a dominator to go any faster unless you change what you have now the small carb
Is probably actual helping you right now.

It doesn't matter what anyone CAN  do if they have 8 bent intake valves.
SCJ heads ... BIG camshaft ... Didn't have new notches machined in the flat top pistons = bent intake valves.
could be A429's? Got to assume the engine builder wasn't a total dingas..... But hey I've been wrong before....but honestly it would have wasters itself pretty quick with a cam in that range If they where hitting.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  cool40 on October 2nd 2014, 4:48 pm

Whatever you do with cam timing be VERY sure you know what your valve clearance is.I agree it may need advancing to help low end power.if your not already familiar with a degree wheel it's a good time to learn.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  rmcomprandy on October 2nd 2014, 5:32 pm

linearfab wrote:The pistons have valve reliefs in them . I just recently had the heads off because of a broken lifter .  While the heads wher off i had  new  PAC springs and retainers Put on them  as recommended by bullet .  Heads checked out fine ?  No marks on the pistons from valve contact  so.  
Cam is in straight up

Valve reliefs...? In what location...?  If these are the same pistons you used with the other heads then they should each have 2 different INTAKE notches to run with the SCJ's.

I think you should find out EXACTLY what you have before doing anything further.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 5:57 pm

They are the same pistons we ran with the old heads . Im trying to find a picture with the heads off of it . But they r old trw forged pistons. Not. JE like i first stated . The pistons have been in the motor for probably 15 years or so purchased by my dad . Everything else is correct tho (correct as in type and brand )

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  dfree383 on October 2nd 2014, 6:46 pm

Post a picture of the heads you have on the engine now.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  linearfab on October 2nd 2014, 7:02 pm

Ill have to post pics later when im home from the shop. Or i can text you or someone pics for u guys to post . Wont let me post from my phone

linearfab

Posts : 72
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 429 issues !!

Post  BOSS 429 on October 2nd 2014, 7:54 pm

linearfab wrote: Im not gunna down grade the motor . Id rather   make what i have work than  go back to iron heads and a smaller cam . When i have a fortune in all of this and.  The iron heads wher sold  along time ago .

LOL, I never said go back to iron heads, JUST saying that they can be fun, I've made very good power with them.






ps, 4700lbs 64 gal-x-e   460ci dove heads,std bore...11.90 thru the mufflers c6,no power adder  1150 dom carb,4200 converter, 4.56 gear et streets
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2229
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum