BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idle air screws

+4
kim
rmcomprandy
aquartlow
tconnection
8 posters

Go down

Idle air screws - Page 2 Empty Re: Idle air screws

Post  tconnection November 5th 2014, 11:07 am

Qft 1250, where r u guys setting your level in the sight glass? And with .003 on the main bearing and 21/2 on the rod, what weight oil and what kind? I got access to some Brad Penn for 6 bucks a qt.
Thanks
Th

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 5th 2014, 11:16 am

Qft 1250, where r u guys setting your level in the sight glass? And with .003 on the main bearing and 21/2 on the rod, what weight oil and what kind? I got access to some Brad Penn for 6 bucks a qt.
Thanks
Th

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 5th 2014, 11:20 am

Never use sight glass. Use brass plugs. At idle set the float so that the fuel will trickle down the side of the carb if you bump the car. Otherwise no trickle...

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 5th 2014, 3:02 pm

tconnection wrote:Qft 1250, where r u guys setting your level in the sight glass?
Thanks
Th

Experiment with setting it a bit higher and lower, (as long as the is no sign of booster dripping), until the vehicle runs the best.
Then mark it and set THAT combination there, all the time.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 5th 2014, 3:08 pm

Randy's advice is best.. I typically didn't have the luxury of days of testing. It was carb rebuild and bolt on... So the quickest way to establish a "decent" tune was to use a preset fuel level, and then tune around it. The fuel level in the bowl is the "fuel pressure" for the various circuits for the carb. It is another "tune-able" option. One size does not fit all. Instead of pulling jets and playing with air bleeds, the simple twist of the float setting can net gains or losses.

Ensure you don't have fuel siphon at idle through the booster. Ensure your not creating a huge fuel slosh issue up vent tubes... but the beauty and simplicity of the carb, is the detriment that you have to play with it ALOT to get everything "perfect". And then perfect is only really perfect for that combination, AND atmospheric condition.......

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 6th 2014, 12:33 am

I lowered my floats down. The fuel is only showing about an 1/8 or so above the bottom of the sight glass. So far when I rev on it it's alot more clear. I gonna see about getting a video running it down the road tom and post it in my build section.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 6th 2014, 1:32 am

tconnection wrote:I lowered my floats down. The fuel is only showing about an 1/8 or so above the bottom of the sight glass. So far when I rev on it it's alot more clear. I gonna see about getting a video running it down the road tom and post it in my build section.
Thanks

We need videos of it on the back wheels @ about 45* Cool

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 6th 2014, 10:41 am

tconnection wrote:I lowered my floats down. The fuel is only showing about an 1/8 or so above the bottom of the sight glass. So far when I rev on it it's alot more clear. I gonna see about getting a video running it down the road tom and post it in my build section.
Thanks

Free reving it will tell you little ... driving it and racing it will make a difference.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down