Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Go down

Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  JBR-3 on November 2nd 2014, 8:24 pm

As I understand, BT makes two 2-plane 2x4 intakes ( one for standard ports and one for CJ ports ).

With either of these intakes, will a distributor with a large cap ("crab" cap, or maybe MSD "cap-a-dapt" )
fit when using 4150 Holley carbs ?
Or, is it necessary to use Carter-type carbs ? I thought maybe the fuel bowl on the Holley would interfere.

I can't seem to find any pictures on the internet of this combination.

JBR-3

Posts : 194
Join date : 2009-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blue Thunder dual quad intake

Post  dragsterdick on November 2nd 2014, 11:18 pm

I run one on my 64 Galaxie NSS car and mount the carbs backwards with 4150 carbs and use a big cap and all is fine, no problem.

dragsterdick

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 2nd 2014, 11:25 pm

JBR-3 wrote:As I understand, BT makes two 2-plane 2x4 intakes ( one for standard ports and one for CJ ports ).

With either of these intakes, will a distributor with a large cap ("crab" cap, or maybe MSD "cap-a-dapt" )
fit when using 4150 Holley carbs ?
Or, is it necessary to use Carter-type carbs ? I thought maybe the fuel bowl on the Holley would interfere.

I can't seem to find any pictures on the internet of this combination.

When 4160's are reversed like an when mounted on an FE dual quad manifold, they fit with a large cap distributor.
4150's, I don't know.

Forward mounted Holley carbs fit with a regular Ford small cap distributor but, I have never tried a large cap with them.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Carbs

Post  dragsterdick on November 2nd 2014, 11:38 pm

4150's and 4160's are the same size and both work fine mounted backwards as I run both.

dragsterdick

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 2nd 2014, 11:44 pm

dragsterdick wrote:4150's and 4160's are the same size and both work fine mounted backwards as I run both.

They are NOT the same over all length.  The secondary side of a 4150 is LONGER than the secondary side of a 4160; 5/8 of an inch longer.


Last edited by rmcomprandy on November 2nd 2014, 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

The Same

Post  dragsterdick on November 2nd 2014, 11:50 pm

Not a center squirter.

dragsterdick

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 2nd 2014, 11:53 pm

dragsterdick wrote:Not a center squirter.

YES ir is ... a center squirter is just like any other 4160 carb or 4150 carb when overall length is measured.

5/8" is a pretty large difference.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

The same

Post  dragsterdick on November 2nd 2014, 11:57 pm

Well I don't understand because I own both 4150 Vac sec carbs and 4160 center squirters and use both on my race car and mine are the same? Maybe we are talking about something different?

dragsterdick

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 3rd 2014, 12:01 am

dragsterdick wrote:Well I don't understand because I own both 4150 Vac sec carbs and 4160 center squirters and use both on my race car and mine are the same?  Maybe we are talking about something different?

You may be talking about something different but, I am talking about ANY Holley Model 4160 carburetor and comparing it to ANY Holley Model 4150 carburetor.  
They have a different over all length and that extra length is all on the secondary side.
The difference between a 4160 and a 4150 is the "metering block" which is not there on a 4160 but, is there on a 4150.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  dfree383 on November 3rd 2014, 12:18 am

Trust Randy on this..... He used to work for Holley.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14161
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  gt350hr on November 3rd 2014, 3:48 pm

4160's ONLY on factory Ford 2x4 intakes , except "maybe" a 427 high riser. Tunnel rams would take either.

gt350hr

Posts : 465
Join date : 2014-08-20
Location : Anaheim , CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Carb Lenths

Post  dragsterdick on November 3rd 2014, 6:28 pm

If you are going to run dual quads on a BT intake or an FE, in-line like they did on the 427 motor you have to use a metering block on the primary side and a metering plate ( jettable or not) on the secondary side or they won't fit in-line-PERIOD!! It does not matter if the are Vac Secondary carbs or center squirter carbs , they are the same length and that is what I tried to say last night. In- line mounting will not let you run a block at both ends and of course a block at both ends will make the carb longer. I thought the original question was about mounting them in-line and the type of dist. cap. As I said before, you just have to mount them backwards to use the larger cap.

dragsterdick

Posts : 54
Join date : 2011-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 3rd 2014, 8:40 pm

dragsterdick wrote:If you are going to run dual quads on a BT intake or an FE, in-line like they did on the 427 motor you have to use a metering block on the primary side and a metering plate ( jettable or not) on  the secondary side or they won't fit in-line-PERIOD!!  It does not matter if the are Vac Secondary carbs or center squirter carbs , they are the same length and that is what I tried to say last night.  In- line mounting will not let you run a block at both ends and of course a block at both ends will make the carb longer.  I thought the original question was about mounting them in-line and the type of dist. cap.  As I said before, you just have to mount them backwards to use the larger cap.

YOU are the one here who posted that 4150 carbs and 4160 carbs were the same length. That proclamation had nothing to do with the original question either but, for some reason you thought it was pertinent  to dedicate a post to just that ... and it was wrong. In that post you also clainmed that BOTH model carbs worked equally well.

I am simply clearing up some mis-information which you were spreading here.

EDIT: Nothing more and nothing less.


Last edited by rmcomprandy on November 3rd 2014, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 3rd 2014, 8:40 pm

dragsterdick wrote:4150's and 4160's are the same size and both work fine mounted backwards as I run both.

Here is that incorrect post... for God and everybody else to see again.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  DanH on November 3rd 2014, 11:22 pm

Maybe. they are the same length.

I have added the metering blocks to the 660 center shooters , the 4223 850 center shooter is a 4150 otb..

He's  corrected his statement with some research with the "added lenght"

DanH

Posts : 1081
Join date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  dfree383 on November 4th 2014, 12:16 am

For your viewing pleasure....

A 3310 750.... A 4150 4777-1 650 DP and A 1850 4160 600 side by side



A 3310 close up.... Notice the center hung float bowls and lack of a secondary metering block





A close up of a 4150 650 DP..... Notice the center hung float bowls and the secondary metering block.....



Final picture a 1850 Holley 4160 model..... Notice the short side hung float bowls and the lack of a secondary metering block.

Results of this in depth research..... 1850 4160 is the shortest..... 3310 comes in second and the 4150 is in last place as the longest of the bunch regardless of how it's installed.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14161
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  DanH on November 4th 2014, 8:26 am

forgot about the type of bowls hung on the carb for oal

DanH

Posts : 1081
Join date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  rmcomprandy on November 4th 2014, 10:21 am

dfree383 wrote:For your viewing pleasure....

A 3310 750.... A 4150 4777-1 650 DP and A 1850 4160 600 side by side



A 3310 close up.... Notice the center hung float bowls and lack of a secondary metering block





A close up of a 4150 650 DP..... Notice the center hung float bowls and the secondary metering block.....



Final picture a 1850 Holley 4160 model..... Notice the short side hung float bowls and the lack of a secondary metering block.

Results of this in depth research..... 1850 4160 is the shortest..... 3310 comes in second and the 4150 is in last place as the longest of the bunch regardless of how it's installed.

Just to be thorough, Dave ... there are many 4150 model carburetors which come with side hung bowls. Even the 750 double pumper #L6109 meant to be used on inline dual quads came with the side hung float bowls along with MANY carbs on OEM automobile and governor heavy truck applications.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  IDT-572 on November 4th 2014, 3:13 pm

And now you know the correct and rest of the story............... Good day Wink Cool

I love this site
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  BB94STANG on November 4th 2014, 10:18 pm

IDT-572 wrote:And now you know the correct and rest of the story...............  Good day Wink

I love this site  

Paul Harvey wanna be :-)
avatar
BB94STANG

Posts : 245
Join date : 2009-08-15
Age : 42
Location : Winchester, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question: Blue Thunder 2x4 intake

Post  DanH on November 4th 2014, 10:41 pm

and the longest(aol) Holley is? it's not mentioned yet.

the Holley that came on the Shelby 289 center hung and center fuel inlet.

DanH

Posts : 1081
Join date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum