rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Go down

rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  garys gt on November 8th 2014, 12:53 pm

i bought a cam and lifter set. solid flat tappet.256/266 @.050 and 589/615 lift 108 lobe sep. says 6500 rpm range with a 429/460. what rpm range can i expect the 512 motor to turn.

garys gt

Posts : 87
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  rmcomprandy on November 8th 2014, 1:32 pm

garys gt wrote:i bought a cam and lifter set. solid flat tappet.256/266 @.050 and 589/615 lift 108 lobe sep. says 6500 rpm range with a 429/460. what rpm range can i expect the 512 motor to turn.

Probably around 5,900 to 6,100 RPM.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  garys gt on November 9th 2014, 8:24 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
garys gt wrote:i bought a cam and lifter set. solid flat tappet.256/266 @.050 and 589/615 lift 108 lobe sep. says 6500 rpm range with a 429/460. what rpm range can i expect the 512 motor to turn.

Probably around 5,900 to 6,100 RPM.
Ok thanks.

garys gt

Posts : 87
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  kim on November 13th 2014, 6:15 pm

Because the piston speed is higher in the greater stroke engine and that cams RPM window was probably rated against a 429 cu in engine versus the 460 I would wager the power fall off is more likly down around 5200 rpm all else equal.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  garys gt on November 13th 2014, 7:24 pm

kim wrote:Because the piston speed is higher in the greater stroke engine and that cams RPM window was probably rated against a 429 cu in engine versus the 460  I would wager the power fall off is more likly down around 5200 rpm all else equal.  
wow that's alot lower. Hope it doesn't drop that much.

garys gt

Posts : 87
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  kim on November 13th 2014, 8:14 pm

That cam is a moderate small block cam. Thats damn near stock tame on a 460.. and ford never expected the thing to rev above 4800 rpm.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-27
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  514Fox87 on November 13th 2014, 8:34 pm

I ran that same cam in a 466 with A429 heads and it pulled well to about 6200. Cam was 2 adv. and car still ran a best of 9.72 with 2930lb car and driver. If you bought that cam off a member here it may be my old cam. Lol
avatar
514Fox87

Posts : 436
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 52
Location : Harrington DE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: rpm range difference when using a cam 460 vs 512

Post  DaveMcLain on November 15th 2014, 8:07 am

kim wrote:That cam is a moderate small block cam.  Thats damn near stock tame on a 460..  and ford never expected the thing to rev above 4800 rpm.

That cam isn't anywhere near stock tame in a 460. I have a customer who ran that same cam for years in a 460 in a mud racer turning 6500rpm using a DOVE head. I'd say it will go a little over 6000rpm in a 521 no problem.


DaveMcLain

Posts : 360
Join date : 2009-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum