BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oiling questions

4 posters

Go down

oiling questions Empty oiling questions

Post  Larry Williams November 15th 2014, 11:04 am

stock cast iron block.

is the rear oil passage the most accurate place to run the oil pressure gauge from? do I just plug the front passage ?

where should I plum the accumulator to?     an oil filter adapter?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

oiling questions Empty Re: oiling questions

Post  Paul Kane November 15th 2014, 11:42 am

For taking an oil pressure reading either the front or rear port will work, but it's preferred to take it from the rear whenever possible since the pump/oil is fed to the block up front and the pressure reading would then be farthest from the pump and after all bleed-off points.

I have seen most accumulators plumbed at the front of the block. I feel that they might be better positioned at the rear, however when plumbing at the rear the 5/16" oil pressure port passage that reaches down to the passenger-side lifter gallery should first be enlarged to 3/8", and the 1/4-NPT thread also enlarged to 3/8-NPT.  Lastly, unless you are installing the accumulator specifically for avoiding dry start-ups, I suggest you first determine why your engine is losing oil pressure in the first place and try to eliminate (or at least minimize) the culprit beforehand.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams November 15th 2014, 11:56 am

Paul Kane wrote:For taking an oil pressure reading either the front or rear port will work, but it's preferred to take it from the rear whenever possible since the pump/oil is fed to the block up front and the pressure reading would then be farthest from the pump and after all bleed-off points.

I have seen most accumulators plumbed at the front of the block. I feel that they might be better positioned at the rear, however when plumbing at the rear the 5/16" oil pressure port passage that reaches down to the passenger-side lifter gallery should first be enlarged to 3/8", and the 1/4-NPT thread also enlarged to 3/8-NPT.  Lastly, unless you are installing the accumulator specifically for avoiding dry start-ups, I suggest you first determine why your engine is losing oil pressure in the first place and try to eliminate (or at least minimize) the culprit beforehand.
thanks for the quick reply paul

this is a new never run install, so no oil problems yet. I have the accumulator from my other engine just as a safety item. its too late to enlarge the oil pressure port. I an guessing the only option I have is a remote oil filter system I can plumb into for the accumulator. Your thoughts?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane November 15th 2014, 4:14 pm

Larry Williams wrote:...this is a new never run install, so no oil problems yet.  I have the accumulator from my other engine just as a safety item.  its too late to enlarge the oil pressure port. I an guessing the only option I have is a remote oil filter system I can plumb into for the accumulator.  Your thoughts?

Most people have the remote filter system plumbed at the filter pad, and have the accumulator plumbed at the front pressure port...if you really feel you need it even though you have not yet had oil pressure loss issues.

Why is it "too late" to enlarge the rear pressure port?
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 15th 2014, 5:45 pm

engine is assembled and in car.........

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 16th 2014, 1:54 am

I may have overcomplicated it when I ran mine.. Not an uncommon occurrence by the way...

I placed a tee and a check valve in the discharge line from my remote filter and plumbed my accusump in there. that cured my loss of oil pressure under braking issue I was having with my wet sump canton pan.

The check valve was to stop any oil from flowing backwards through the pump when pressure was low or non existent.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams November 16th 2014, 1:54 pm

bosshoss wrote:I may have overcomplicated it when I ran mine..  Not an uncommon occurrence by the way...

I placed a tee and a check valve in the discharge line from my remote filter and plumbed my accusump in there. that cured my loss of oil pressure under braking issue I was having with my wet sump canton pan.

The check valve was to stop any oil from flowing backwards through the pump when pressure was low or non existent.

dkp

what did you use for a check valve? any pics?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 16th 2014, 3:04 pm

I dont have any pics but I think the valve I used was an Earls 251010.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down