BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need help building motor

+11
windsor
QtrWarrior
bbf-falcon
Lem Evans
maverick
schmitty
DFI429
kim
the Coug
557 Torino man
fordhighboy
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

need help building motor Empty need help building motor

Post  fordhighboy January 2nd 2015, 5:06 am

have stock 460 and finally blew, so going to rebuild it and its going in a mud truck on 2.5 ton axles turning 50-60" tractor tires. defiantly buying stroker kit for it and p51 heads. what stroker kit should i buy and opinions on what cam and everything to use? going to be my first engine build so any advice is greatly appreciated. wanting to get to 700hp-800hp and same range in torque too and be reliable and last for few years

fordhighboy

Back to top Go down

need help building motor Empty my old Quadzilla is for sale

Post  557 Torino man January 2nd 2015, 9:28 am

hi, if you have not built the truck yet you can get my 74 ford with everything already done,,,7 years and never got beat in a mud bogg after I put the 57" Accurat tires on it ,,I was running a 557 also ,,,single NP-205 ,and 2 1/2 ton axels...the horsepower and the Accurat tires are the combination,,,......DO NOT GET A SET OF 54 BOGGERS, NO TRACTION AND WORST THING I EVER DID WAS GET A SET,,,they have just half of the lugs heighth that the 44 boggers do,,,they will not move enough mudd...you are doing right with the 557 ,,,very awesome motor and will make all the power you need,,,we just used a eagle rotating assbly on our first one ..get Bullet cams to make you the cam ,,,they ground me a very good one I still have the cam big roller cam if you are interested,you can have it for $ 150 might bring you some luck,,lol,,,also use as small as a stall as you can get by with...in that deep mudd you want the tires spinning as fast as possible with Quadzilla we was running 150 - 200 foot holes in 6 sec to 8 secondscall me if you need anything I will be glad to help you 417-342-2067 cell,,,my shop is 417-847-8040,,,just ask for joe

557 Torino man

Back to top Go down

need help building motor Empty Re: need help building motor

Post  fordhighboy January 2nd 2015, 8:11 pm

Already got truck built. Got 57" v treads on it right now. What kind of stall should I get? Do think 557 stroker kit would be better for mud bogging then more of a mellow stroker kit like 514? Where it still has lot of low end torque and high end torque where 557 has insane amount of low end but not as good top end? Where did you get your stroker kit from? And what cam and rockers you use? I'm just wanting to shoot for 700-800hp and about same in torque

fordhighboy

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 2nd 2015, 8:22 pm

fordhighboy wrote:Already got truck built. Got 57" v treads on it right now. What kind of stall should I get? Do think 557 stroker kit would be better for mud bogging then more of a mellow stroker kit like 514? Where it still has lot of low end torque and high end torque where 557 has insane amount of low end but not as good top end? Where did you get your stroker kit from? And what cam and rockers you use? I'm just wanting to shoot for 700-800hp and about same in torque

a guy without a clue, how do you figure a 514 will have more torque in any range than a 557? the 557 will eat that 514 in every power range and torque range you can think of.... the 4.5 inch stroke crank will always build more torque than a 4.15 inch stroke crank
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 2nd 2015, 10:22 pm

the Coug wrote:
fordhighboy wrote:Already got truck built. Got 57" v treads on it right now. What kind of stall should I get? Do think 557 stroker kit would be better for mud bogging then more of a mellow stroker kit like 514? Where it still has lot of low end torque and high end torque where 557 has insane amount of low end but not as good top end? Where did you get your stroker kit from? And what cam and rockers you use? I'm just wanting to shoot for 700-800hp and about same in torque

a guy without a clue, how do you figure a 514 will have more torque in any range than a 557? the 557 will eat that 514 in every power range and torque range you can think of.... the 4.5 inch stroke crank will always build more torque than a 4.15 inch stroke crank

you should use a slightly less sharp stick when you poke someone.... not everyone professes to know all... He asked for help.... splain.. versus bash.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 2nd 2015, 10:43 pm

kim wrote:
the Coug wrote:

you should use a slightly less sharp stick when you poke someone....   not everyone professes to know all...  He asked for help.... splain..   versus bash.

I think that hitting the SEARCH Button is not that hard probably 100s of builds and reasons and I am not a doctor so I am fresh out of Patients...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 2nd 2015, 11:06 pm

when that's the prominent attitude of the "click", the sight is destined to die. Instead of inviting new posts, new members, and repeating sometimes simple information, there will be 10 people occasionally posting "what happened" until Bruno just quits paying the bill.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 January 3rd 2015, 1:32 am

kim wrote:when that's the prominent attitude of the "click", the sight is destined to die.  Instead of inviting new posts, new members, and repeating sometimes simple information, there will be 10 people occasionally posting "what happened"  until Bruno just quits paying the bill.

Did you really just refer to this site as a clique??? Rolling Eyes

The Coug may be coarse, but he's got the right media..  People like this guy whose first post consists of uninformed gibberish without any obvious homework beforehand and then asking

"How do I build the perfect motor with MY ideas listed??!?!?!?"

Gets farking old after a while.

I don't frequent the 'other' site too often.  Between the constant newbs who seem to refuse to do for themselves, and the amateur experts who talk (type) too much.. Rolling Eyes

This site has the best in the BBF world around on a regular basis.. Basic engine 101 questions going unanswered won't bury it Rolling Eyes  I for one aren't about to stop visiting, or promoting the vast wealth of knowledge available here.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 3rd 2015, 8:22 am

Me either... I hit the site several times a day. I reference people to check the site if they are contemplating a big block ford. I agree, there are many people here with a whole lot of knowledge. Guess I'm getting kinder and more gentle in my old age. If I don't know anything, or, if I don't feel like telling someone about the best oil filter, or greatest exhaust, or whatever newb question is posted, I simply don't respond.

Yes, if you've been a major contributor to the information of successful builds with a certain head, or for a certain combination, and its the 1000 time the question is asked, I understand it gets to be a pain to retype the story again. That's why the successful build section is here.

Just saying a polite recommendation to check the build section would provide the poster with a hell of a shopping list and starting point. IF he then had follow questions, he'd at least have a road map to go down and check, compare, ask about specifics.

There is most assuredly a clique within this forum.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 3rd 2015, 10:23 am

What do you have for parts now?  Are there any rules you need to follow?  A good DOVE head 557 would get you where you are headed, but a decent set of TFS Streets or SCJ's would make it easier.  There is no replacement for displacement, and price is comparable for cranks, so get the big stroke.  If it's in your budget, Callie's has a 4.75" forged crank available.  Good luck and keep an open mind to suggestions offered here, lots of good guys who have done this a lot.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick January 3rd 2015, 11:31 am

Nicely done, Schmitty.  Informative without insults or condescension.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 3rd 2015, 12:51 pm

fordhighboy wrote:have stock 460 and finally blew, so going to rebuild it and its going in a mud truck on 2.5 ton axles turning 50-60" tractor tires. defiantly buying stroker kit for it and p51 heads. what stroker kit should i buy and opinions on what cam and everything to use? going to be my first engine build so any advice is greatly appreciated. wanting to get to 700hp-800hp and same range in torque too and be reliable and last for few years

It'd matter a lot if the engine will be pump gas or race gas. Which way are you headed?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 3rd 2015, 11:19 pm

[quote="maverick"]Nicely done, Schmitty.  Informative without insults or condescension.[/quot

X2

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior January 4th 2015, 12:06 am

kim wrote:
the Coug wrote:

you should use a slightly less sharp stick when you poke someone....   not everyone professes to know all...  He asked for help.... splain..   versus bash.

WE didn't ask you for patience....Just not to be as big an A**...........
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  fordhighboy January 4th 2015, 7:55 am

schmitty wrote:
What do you have for parts now?  Are there any rules you need to follow?  A good DOVE head 557 would get you where you are headed, but a decent set of TFS Streets or SCJ's would make it easier.  There is no replacement for displacement, and price is comparable for cranks, so get the big stroke.  If it's in your budget, Callie's has a 4.75" forged crank available.  Good luck and keep an open mind to suggestions offered here, lots of good guys who have done this a lot.

nope no rules that i need to follow this is just a big monster mud bogging truck. will be ran on pump gas. im wanting to be around atleast 800ish havnt ordered any parts been asking for opinions on what company to order stroker kit from and what kind of head/cam and everything would be good choice to get what i want. ive got 5k in bank right now and will have lot more when get tax check so trying to compile a parts list and start ordering. ive read up and am going to go with 557 stroker kit just dont know what company as ive heard both bad and good from companys like scat/eagle etc and was told to go with p51 heads?

fordhighboy

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 4th 2015, 11:23 am

The pump gas deal will definitely make this a lot harder. 800 is doable, but the tune is going to be critical. What about going with a turbo engine?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor January 4th 2015, 11:29 am

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showpost.php?p=635044&postcount=27

windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 4th 2015, 11:40 am

schmitty wrote:The pump gas deal will definitely make this a lot harder.  800 is doable, but the tune is going to be critical.  What about going with a turbo engine?
X2 on a hard loaded, heat making mudbogger. From what I imagine, WOT, for 30-60 seconds or more with alot of load. Along the same lines as a boat. That'll wanna make heat, and detonate if the wrong fuel. I might think different in a street/drag app with less wieght and more speed. Personally, I dig E85.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 4th 2015, 4:33 pm

fordhighboy wrote:
schmitty wrote:

nope no rules that i need to follow this is just a big monster mud bogging truck. will be ran on pump gas. im wanting to be around atleast 800ish havnt ordered any parts been asking for opinions on what company to order stroker kit from and what kind of head/cam and everything would be good choice to get what i want. ive got 5k in bank right now and will have lot more when get tax check so trying to compile a parts list and start ordering. ive read up and am going to go with 557 stroker kit just dont know what company as ive heard both bad and good from companys like scat/eagle etc and was told to go with p51 heads?

The forged Lunati & Scat crankshafts are the ones I prefer.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 4th 2015, 4:37 pm

J.Toney wrote:
schmitty wrote:The pump gas deal will definitely make this a lot harder.  800 is doable, but the tune is going to be critical.  What about going with a turbo engine?
X2 on a hard loaded, heat making mudbogger. From what I imagine, WOT, for 30-60 seconds or more  with alot of load. Along the same lines as a boat. That'll wanna make heat, and detonate if the wrong fuel. I might think different in a street/drag app with less wieght and more speed. Personally, I dig E85.

Yep, if he's where E85 is available a 13.5/1 545"-557" deal will make some shit happen Smile

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  fordhighboy January 5th 2015, 9:42 am

Lem Evans wrote:
J.Toney wrote:
X2 on a hard loaded, heat making mudbogger. From what I imagine, WOT, for 30-60 seconds or more  with alot of load. Along the same lines as a boat. That'll wanna make heat, and detonate if the wrong fuel. I might think different in a street/drag app with less wieght and more speed. Personally, I dig E85.

Yep, if he's where E85 is available a 13.5/1 545"-557" deal will make some shit happen Smile

i can run 110 octane just rather not pay $7 gallon lol. and yes we have E85 here in indiana

fordhighboy

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 5th 2015, 10:20 am

Know anyone local with experience with it? Go get some insight on E85 and see what they think, or read up a bit on it. There are lots of facts and rumors from what I've experienced. As far as subsidy $ and price at the pump in the future, who knows?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 5th 2015, 11:28 am

http://www.e85prices.com/Indiana.html

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 5th 2015, 12:13 pm

Thats funny, it was $.89 a 2 weeks ago here in W.Michigan. Still, if its available and resonable for cost, doesn't hurt to learn about it.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 5th 2015, 12:35 pm

J.Toney wrote:Thats funny, it was  $.89 a 2 weeks ago here in W.Michigan. Still, if its available and resonable for cost, doesn't hurt to learn about it.

It's a little cheaper in kentucky than In. ....always has been about the price of preminium unleaded here.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next