BBC in the fox body

Go down

BBC in the fox body

Post  57custom on January 9th 2015, 5:24 pm

I am ranting today as it is real cold and I just ain't going out other than to get my mail and paper. And you guys tell me the reason all these and I will be nice and say "people" are putting the brand X engines in the fox body. As for the BBF is it price or availability or what? I have here right in front of me a recent add in national dragster by Shafiroff racing engines advertising their 632 sportsman engine for 16,250.00 . They are claiming 1030hp on that one. Their pro series are advertised at 24,750.00 and claiming 1225 hp. They all have aftermarket heads and blocks and cranks and everything else. Whats the reason I am looking for some honest shit. The SBF seems to be pretty darn competitive when some person will build it the same way they build the brand X small puke stuff. As I have yet to see an SBC that makes decent power using a 2 bolt 283 thing out of the 60's but I have seen these idiots build up a SBF ford using as factory 302 which we know is no stronger than an early 289 and then break it and then some builder says to them you have to put a sbc puke motor in it to go fast and stay together. Then he will build them a Dart block brodix headed thing and of course it will be faster last longer to be expected. Its my opinion and I think most might agree that a BBF junk yard block that can be purchased for usually 100.00 or so complete will withstand 700 plus and an early one which has been converted to 4 bolt mains should be good for at least 850 hp. We won't go into the ls stuff  but we do know that the block is good for quite a lot of hp but it should be as it is a reasonably new design. Just like the Ford modular 3 valve and 4 valve can be put together and make good hp. How about some of you engine builders chime in here. Just for the record I bought parts from a lot of the vendors on this site and my pump gas 545 made 702 hp and has been dam reliable only problem has been losing a roller lifter and I blame that on some VERY VERY slow driving at the "Back to the Fifties" car show in St Paul over a couple of days. I can't even recognize some of the engines I see like the I think it is called a "481X" I asked a guy what it was and he said a ford/chev/dodge as they used the best features all the brands and built it from scratch. I watch the show "Street Outlaws" and I know it is mostly TV but enjoy watching it anyway. Now I see the one guy that runs a Dodge has a BBC in it so I won't pull for him anymore in fact I hope he loses his ranking. So I am suppose to believe that nobody can build a hemi or even a big wedge than can compete as they all use nitrous. As you can see I am RANTING today to keep from being pissed off about this below zero crap we are putting up with. Hey I am 74 years old and have good blood pressure and want to keep it that way LOL. Lets hear some reasons and my 63 Fairlane has went 10.20 at 133 and I still drive it and it is street legal with 92 octane. Very Happy
avatar
57custom

Posts : 81
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 78
Location : Elko Mn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  IDT-572 on January 9th 2015, 5:35 pm

When the fox mustang came out the 302 started coming into it own............. The aftermarket jumped on the H.O.302. Just so happened it's big brother the 351 windsor can use a bunch of the same parts.

So when the Ford small block started making big power and and in the mustang started kicking Chubby but at the track, the diehard chevy guys cam to the conclusion that of coarse their is no way a ford can make more power than the almighty SBC, so naturally the car had to be what made the difference.

Ford made millions of them and they were cheap to buy, so the chubby crowd started putting their engines in them thinking the could win again.

Well wrong again............... Twisted Evil And now they are having to deal with the BBF................ I love it:cheers:
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4593
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  gmsmkr on January 9th 2015, 6:23 pm

IMHO when you get into hipo stuff $ for $ it cost about the same but people don't look for new stuff or another brand because in the day it was cheaper to build a Chevy because everybody had one in there yard. So it was easy to get parts cheap.

now with all this brand x crap they used to brag because there 350 beat a little 302 well that's nothing to brag about cause there is a lot more cu there than a little 302 then i stroked it to a 347 with a solid roller and good heads and beat them then they get all pissed off cause its a stroker I say hell its still smaller than there beloved shit box Chevy 350....

Now days in time it all cost about the same when getting in to aftermarket stuff!!!

Most people tend to stay with what they know because they are scared to try new things.....this is just my take on it.
avatar
gmsmkr

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2014-06-22
Location : alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  Carl on January 9th 2015, 6:29 pm

I always figured the Chevy in a Fox body thing was because you had a Chevy guy who got a deal on the chassis, and threw his junk in there.

The Chevy junk isn't any cheaper than our stuff, especially at the higher HP levels, so that's no excuse....except maybe in the used market. Probably more Chevy parts falling off the truck and disappearing from tracks around the country than Ford, so they're going to be cheaper in the "used" market.

Carl

Posts : 251
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  70FB on January 9th 2015, 7:35 pm

IDT-572 wrote:When the fox mustang came out the 302 started coming into it own.............  The aftermarket jumped on the H.O.302. Just so happened it's big brother the 351 windsor can use a bunch of the same parts.

So when the Ford small block started making big power and and in the mustang started kicking Chubby but at the track, the diehard chevy guys cam to the conclusion that of coarse their is no way a ford can make more power than the almighty SBC, so naturally the car had to be what made the difference.

Ford made millions of them and they were cheap to buy, so the chubby crowd started putting their engines in them thinking the could win again.

Well wrong again............... Twisted Evil  And now they are having to deal with the BBF................  I love it:cheers:  

This is good. I'll throw it to a few chebby buddies if I can use it??? One is a foxbody with a 632 with 2 kits. He will love it. Haha
avatar
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 820
Join date : 2012-07-28
Age : 44
Location : VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You can use it

Post  57custom on January 9th 2015, 9:28 pm

as much as you want. I know used stuff is cheap as one of the other guys mentioned but starting from scratch should be pretty close. I always say the BBF is cheaper to 500 and from 500 to 750 The BBC might be a little cheaper but from then on I think its a wash. What a Face
avatar
57custom

Posts : 81
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 78
Location : Elko Mn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  69F100 on January 9th 2015, 10:36 pm

57custom wrote:as much as you want. I know used stuff is cheap as one of the other guys mentioned but starting from scratch should be pretty close. I always say the BBF is cheaper to 500 and from 500 to 750 The BBC might be a little cheaper but from then on I think its a wash. What a Face


My 552 bbf with 2 bolt D9 block makes 700 + hp by ets it cost me around $8000 to build it and that including A429 ported heads and intake used i bought from Mike Stevens and a used roller cam from Rick aka 557 mazda the rest was new parts and machine work
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5126
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  BigRigTech on January 9th 2015, 10:41 pm

Buy a BBC for a build and your into main and head studs right off the bat just to keep it together LOL......Un-like the BBF which has stout head and main bolts from the factory. I'm in the minority at my local track being a ford guy and running a BBF at that. I hear the Chevy blah blah blah shit all the time but when I ask how many are running faster then I am using a BBC with a stock crank it usually stops...LOL...They are ALL stroked. Mine runs a stock 460 crank that is balanced, stock 2 bolt mains with stock head/main bolts and a SFT cam. I'm not far from running in the 9's with a heavy ass C6 behind it on a small tire. I could have gone with a Windsor stroker but there is just something about seeing a Fox body stuffed with a BBF that makes a fella's pants tight. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 763
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  FalconEh on January 9th 2015, 11:12 pm

69F100 wrote:
57custom wrote:as much as you want. I know used stuff is cheap as one of the other guys mentioned but starting from scratch should be pretty close. I always say the BBF is cheaper to 500 and from 500 to 750 The BBC might be a little cheaper but from then on I think its a wash. What a Face


My 552 bbf with 2 bolt D9 block makes 700 + hp by ets it cost me around $8000 to build it and that including A429 ported heads and intake used i bought from Mike Stevens  and a used roller cam from Rick aka 557 mazda the rest was new parts and machine work

BigRigTech wrote:Buy a BBC for a build and your into main and head studs right off the bat just to keep it together LOL......Un-like the BBF which has stout head and main bolts from the factory. I'm in the minority at my local track being a ford guy and running a BBF at that. I hear the Chevy blah blah blah shit all the time but when I ask how many are running faster then I am using a BBC with a stock crank it usually stops...LOL...They are ALL stroked. Mine runs a stock 460 crank that is balanced, stock 2 bolt mains with stock head/main bolts and a SFT cam. I'm not far from running in the 9's with a heavy ass C6 behind it on a small tire. I could have gone with a Windsor stroker but there is just something about seeing a Fox body stuffed with a BBF that makes a fella's pants tight. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is the BBF site...time to do some rat bashing...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ OH yeah you have been azz handing the BBChit frequently as many others here have...If you want to sell your SBC/BBC mustang on RJ remove the shi! nobody looking for a Mustang want's... aka the SBC/BBC and the homo bowtie emblems (sorry if this is politically incorrect but I am an old prick... just a term and no politics allowed Very Happy ) Just because they want too much for a first gen cameo (no typo) doesn't mean I am not insulted by the chebychit in a perfectly good stang. The funny part is that if you are really a cheby supporter and believe enough to build a cheby race engine, you would think Obamas General would have at least one body style you like or can afford...Obama powered Mustang = in the closet...JMO Laughing
avatar
FalconEh

Posts : 1424
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  bbf-falcon on January 11th 2015, 8:36 am

I think the main reason they are stuffing the rat in a foxbody is 3 reasons.1 the fox is available and cheap, 2 is the engine compartment, it is a lot easier than a later camaro, where the engine sits under the dash so far, 3 is the chassis works well with a lot of parts.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  57custom on January 11th 2015, 8:42 pm

Best looking, Best rearend 9 inch, Easiest to work on, best engines and the cheapest BB and they still drink the Koolaid Shocked And yes that idea where the engine sits under the firewall. What demented soul designed that. I was in Hawaii one time and rented a gen 3 comaro with that wide goofy hood and what a beast to drive. Ask me how I feel. Rolling Eyes
avatar
57custom

Posts : 81
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 78
Location : Elko Mn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  sg86coupe on January 11th 2015, 11:04 pm

There are people with the mind set I call the Bowtie mentality, they will always be die hard chevy. I think the mustang supenion works the best in stock trim of any car and the foxes are lighter than any other, so to be competive they put there chevy motors in them and still feel some what loyal to there brand.

sg86coupe

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  billandlori on January 26th 2015, 2:28 pm

The Chevy SB makes everything faster lol.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8wh7LScXI

Bill
avatar
billandlori

Posts : 2081
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 49
Location : Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  torkair on January 27th 2015, 5:08 am

If it makes you feel any better I almost had a buddy at work swapping a 460 into his 2nd gen camaro... almost. I think the part where I told him that if he got it to hook real good it'd break his car was where he decided it wasn't such a good idea.
avatar
torkair

Posts : 404
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 34
Location : Tucson, Az

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC in the fox body

Post  Rickybobby85 on January 27th 2015, 5:21 am

since we're bashing chevy's (more or less), this should be mildly amusing. Starts extremely slow, but the good stuff is towards the end. Especially his explanation of radar.


https://youtu.be/leRajequ7-A


Rickybobby85

Posts : 19
Join date : 2015-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum