BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

boss 9 heads for super gas/comp

+3
BOSS 429
dfree383
Rickyt630x
7 posters

Go down

boss 9 heads for super gas/comp - Page 2 Empty Re: boss 9 heads for super gas/comp

Post  BOSS 429 January 15th 2015, 11:38 pm

also the TM head can use anyones rocker,the kaase head has 1 choice
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

boss 9 heads for super gas/comp - Page 2 Empty Re: boss 9 heads for super gas/comp

Post  Rickyt630x January 16th 2015, 1:42 pm

thank you for clearing that up. now with all that being said i guess ill look more towards the a441's. i also heard that there would be some modification need to run those heads on a iron block. can anyone clear this up and explain what exactly? is it the block or heads? also i like to spin this motor no more then 7700, is that enough for these heads or do they need more?

Rickyt630x

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickyt630x January 16th 2015, 1:43 pm

and thanks for explaining to me about the TM head and kaase head

Rickyt630x

Back to top Go down

Post  429sluggo January 31st 2015, 4:46 am

Some may be unaware of the offerings, as Todd & I don't do much advertising....and I haven't posted in a long time, so as the official outlet of the TM product line, I'll go over the features of the TM Boss 429 heads.
:
TM offers 2 different intake port designs on their replica Boss 429 heads.  
Note:  All current TM heads use OE Boss 429 valve locations and geometry.  They have fully CNC'd ports AND chambers, with a Newen CNC valve job, and hand-honed valve guides.  They are ready to run right out of the box using 2.400 x 1.900 valves.  Heads will aceept up to 2.500 x 2.000 valves.

Version 1 is a stock location "tilted D" floor intake - that flows 440+ @ .700" lift with a 2.400" valve and has proven to be 1,000 HP capable right out of the box with 13 to 1, a mild .780" lift, 280 @ .050 mechanical roller and a tunnel ram.  I accomplished this last August on a replica Boss 429 Pro Stock engine for Bob Gliddens' 1982 EXP Pro stock car.  

The owner - Don Trasin from Columbus, OH - last year had me build a replica of Bob's engine from magazine photos and old articles - right down to the yellow wires, black customized Weiand tunnel ram, and red heat shrink tubing.  Maybe some of you saw the car running on ESPN during the coverage of the cackle-fest at the US nationals in Indy.  Got some nice TV time of the car rumbling past the cameras...

Version 2 is a Hi-port version intake that uses the old Ford Motorsport E2ZM/E3ZM A441 / AR intake port shape and position - which turns out to be almost identical to the C & C head Boss head.  That intake port flows just a wink under 500 cfm @ .900" lift with a 2.450" valve, again out of the box.

I take one of Caroll's intakes (4V, blower, T-ram) and mill it to match the OE Boss intake face angle, and then use a simple .125" spacer between the intake & heads.  The C & C intakes are 2 deg. different from the OE intake face angle of the TM head.  No big yank if you have a mill and an angle plate.  We actually put the C & C intake bolt pattern on the TM hi-port head, cause that's what's available - and fits.!

Exhaust ports on both heads use the OE Boss bolt pattern and port spacing - raised ~.200" from OE.

Exhaust flows 320+ @ .700" lift with a 1.900" valve as CNC'd.

Both the Standard Port and Race Port versions are currently available in either single spark plug or dual spark plug versions.  2012 Engine masters showcased the dual-plug Hi-port heads, and won Todd and I the Editors Choice Award

FAQ

Yes - the TM Boss heads fit nicely on anyone's 4.900" bore space 385 series block.  Eliminator - C & C - Ford Racing - FoMoCo
Yes - you will need to run an external drain line back to the pan from the heads if you use anything other than an original Boss block, as the TM head has the OE Boss drain back holes already in them.
Yes - the TM head drains oil properly back to the pan either way it is run
Yes - the TM heads use modern head gaskets with slight modifications, depending on which block you use

They install on a wedge block just as the OE heads did back in the 70's - 80's - 90's - etc.

The TM heads will also accept (with no additional modifications to the casting) longer valves and allow valve springs that can install up to 2.200" of installed height and handle 1,200 lbs. of open valve spring pressure - giving the builder the ability to run over a 1.000" lift cam. (higher with higher ratio rockers)  This is due to the fact that the OE rocker pads are machined on the TM heads, instead of machining the stand as part of the head.  This allows the builder to adjust his valve OAL - the valve stem height - the rocker stand height - etc. - in order to run race level valvetrain, without being locked in to a finite valve length, spring height, and rocker geometry.

T & D makes killer bolt-on rockers sets that fit either the OE Boss heads or any of the TM heads.  They stack about .150" taller on the exhaust side than OE rockers - so TM offers a valve cover that is .250" taller to clear them.  All of my non-resto engines leave with T & D rocker sets.  No issues to date.

Personally - I think he did an outstanding job with the race head.  TF racer Pat Dakin out of Dayton, Ohio sure likes the set on his Blown 572 I did for his 48' Ford door slammer.  Rocked the house over at Holbrook's in the fall with over 1350 HP and 1100 ft. lbs. on barely 10 PSI boost - on gas with a real mild roller cam - and no additional porting what so ever.

If you're serious about building a race Boss 429 that will have more than enough to compete in either of those classes - give me a call, as I would love to kick it around with you.

Thanks - Sluggo

Shotgunhemiparts
Boss 429 engines & More
586-943-1216
www.shotgunhemiparts.com
Home of the "8-barrel Shotgun"

429sluggo

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickyt630x January 31st 2015, 2:50 pm

will do. when will be a good time to call you or the shop? really interested have an eliminator block and looking for about 1200hp on single 4, more is always once but that's the goal, is there a header out there for them or is it custom made? not big deal just looking. have some other questions and probably easier to answer over the phone.

Rickyt630x

Back to top Go down

Post  429sluggo January 31st 2015, 6:39 pm

You can give me a call anytime between 10am & 10pm any day of the week.

If the weekend is better for you, call me this weekend....if you aren't at a super bowl party.

Many thanks - Eric

429sluggo

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 1st 2015, 2:03 am

BOSS 429 wrote:also the TM head can use anyones rocker,the kaase head has 1 choice

Their aren't exactly a lot of choices under the "anyone" suggestion.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 1st 2015, 2:09 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Kaase heads have cast in rocker bosses and oil drain backs that fit a stock 429-460 block.

The TM heads use factory style rocker stands and require external drain backs.

There are also some combustion chamber and port differences.
the kaase heads just don't drain back,ask guys who have them,

any boss 429 head will fit any block,c9ae,doae's,and a441's. the b441 needs a large bore,and the c441 are a 5'' spacing, even the indy head will fit a stock block,as well as some of the lesser know boss 9 heads

Nothing wrong with adding a drain back for a stock block with a boss head, for that matter it wouldn't hurt to add one to the kaase head,so when the cover come off oil doesn't get on the header as easy?
I had the first, they drain back fine, but do hold a slight amount in the head.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickyt630x February 4th 2015, 2:37 pm

http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Components/182325237/-SVO-Ford-Racing-Single-Plane-Intake-Manifold.html

stupid questions but this for the boss heads and will it work? how much porting needed?

Rickyt630x

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 4th 2015, 3:42 pm

Rickyt630x wrote:http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Components/182325237/-SVO-Ford-Racing-Single-Plane-Intake-Manifold.html

stupid questions but this for the boss heads and will it work? how much porting needed?

No won't work, angles on the intake faces are all wrong. And ports are way too low for A441 style heads.

Kaase makes a nice single plane intake for standard boss 9 heads. I think TM has something too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down