BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking into upgrades for my street 460

4 posters

Go down

Looking into upgrades for my street 460 Empty Looking into upgrades for my street 460

Post  torkair January 24th 2015, 2:38 am

After driving my 73 Ranchero for about a year with the 460 I have decided that it needs a few upgrades. Current built is a 650 DP franken-carb, performer intake, D3 heads with a good valve job and stud mount roller rockers, 0.030 over smogger slugs, a broom stick of a cam, crites headers, and a stockish C6 with an 1800 stall converter and 3.25 gears. The first upgrade I want to go in for is replacing ol franken-carb with a new Quick Fuel 750 and then the cam. The part I am stuck on is cam profile, I am looking for something that will work well with the low compression (I later plan on swapping the heads for some D0ves, but that's not in the budget right now).
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Looking into upgrades for my street 460 Empty Re: Looking into upgrades for my street 460

Post  dfree383 January 24th 2015, 11:49 am

Wait and Swap the cam when you do the heads.

Last edited by dfree383 on January 24th 2015, 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Looking into upgrades for my street 460 Empty Re: Looking into upgrades for my street 460

Post  jasonf January 24th 2015, 8:36 pm

Do you know if the timing chain is an adjustable one or a stock replacement one from 73? The stock ones retarded the cam timing 4* IIRC taking all kinds of power away. Straight up makes a big difference. I'm not sure where your distributor is set at but a good place to be is around 14* initial timing. Then play with your springs and bring the rest of the timing as fast as possible without pinging. Growing up we had several F150's/F250's and boats with 460's in them, all had stock engine components with a carb change, early style timing chain (straight up), and the distributor tricks mentioned and they would make tire frying torque in a pickup and pull down about 16 mpg. My 79 could beat a foxbody Mustang in the late 80's so it was pretty decent for the era. Of course after that the skys the limit.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair January 24th 2015, 9:08 pm

The timing set is an early (straight up) set spec'd for a 69 T bird. Right now I have it set at 12* base timing with total timing (34*) coming in around 3k. I get shit for gas mileage, but that may be due to a rather heavy right foot and ol "franken-carb". I'll check with the machine shop I used last time around what it might run me to get my D0's refreshed and able to run on unleaded while I am at it.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh January 24th 2015, 9:53 pm

You could feed it a small hit of the juice until you decide you want to step it up, if you buy the carb and the cam then change the heads and have them worked you may be looking at a new carb and cam again, plus the high gear and the tight converter... Rolling Eyes
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down