BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Log books

+2
butterbean
HorsinAround
6 posters

Go down

Log books Empty Log books

Post  HorsinAround January 28th 2015, 10:32 am

What are you guys using for log books? Are electronic log books worth the $$ over paper log books? Also what about weather stations. Necessary? and how good should I go if they are necessary?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Log books Empty Re: Log books

Post  butterbean January 28th 2015, 10:48 am

when I'm racing I use both, paper log books and a weather station, the weather station is not that important when using E-85 but good to have anyway. good luck and happy racing!
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 28th 2015, 11:36 am

If you want to be successful, you need data. I use a dry erase marker on my trailer wall for a quick reference, a log book, a hand held thermo-hygrometer, a barometer and a density calculator on every pass. Doesn't matter if its a test and tune or after the final round. I also make notes on every pass if I did anything out of the ordinary.

Nice weather stations are nice, but they don't measure anything better. I don't see any reason to pay for an electronic log unless you already carry your laptop to the track. Jegs and Summit have free log books and offer contingency if you use them. I have an old TAG electronic log book that works great. He is no longer in business, but the log book doesn't know it.

A data logger should be the next thing you buy after you feel like you're going to be a race car driver. Probably the best non performance thing you can buy.

I also hit the practice tree about 100 times per week.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  kim January 28th 2015, 12:20 pm

Weather, DA, and all adjustments with results let you go from fun and inconsistent to winning ready. After a couple years of data, you can then simply go to a tune for a condition and KNOW what the car will run.

Performance Data Logger allows you to identify mechanical issues and correct before they take you out of the money. Wheel spin, clutch slip, etc... getting a car (and driver) to do the exact same thing every time on every pass makes the difference between the occasional winner and a division champion.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 28th 2015, 2:31 pm

Are DA devices allowed in the pro class in bracket racing?

"I don't see any reason to pay for an electronic log unless you already carry your laptop to the track. Jegs and Summit have free log books and offer contingency if you use them. I have an old TAG electronic log book that works great. He is no longer in business, but the log book doesn't know it."
Actually, I have found some e log books for iphone and droid phones which seems pretty convenient to me. Some of the software based options from Computech dragstat and Altronics look pretty interesting. Dragstat says they can text/email weather and et predictions directly to your phone.

Also, I have been working with a Proform hand held practice tree and drag racing games on my phone just to get better on the light.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 29th 2015, 11:30 am

I use this occasionally if I've fail to buy batteries for the weather equipment. I feel you should always use the same source for consistency. Just pick your track and it gives you all the needed info.

http://airdensityonline.com/
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 29th 2015, 12:24 pm

I think they are a help to some, i never use them running by myself all the time. I've done ok without them, but I see the advantages of them.Maybe this year I'll start using them??Good info to have with you. king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 January 29th 2015, 8:22 pm

I use paper log book. Data is good to fall back on when you have to look back at time of day, temp, density etc at a certain track. It gives (to me) patterns that seem to always show up. Like the third round at a certain track strange things happen like car runs off as much as .04, next round will break out .02. Next round you better add some numbers to the box.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down