BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit

+9
Dave De
richter69
rmcomprandy
GT300TD
blown86hallet
f250mike
dfree383
bbf-falcon
Carl
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit Empty Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit

Post  Carl February 20th 2015, 12:25 pm

"Street Outlaws Producers Seeking Talent For Detroit Spinoff Show"

http://www.dragzine.com/news/street-outlaw-producers-seeking-talent-for-detroit-spinoff-show/

Who's ready to step up?

Carl

Back to top Go down

Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit Empty Re: Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit

Post  bbf-falcon February 20th 2015, 7:07 pm

I would say that Detroit should have a large group that could compete,but the deal w/NHRA pulling the licenses of racers that compete in such an event will detour most of them. BUT,if they can get their sticky fingers in the pot somehow,i'm sure them and Discovery can find a way too make it happen. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit Empty Re: Street Outlaws looking for fast cars in Detroit

Post  Carl February 20th 2015, 11:23 pm

There's a whole world of racing that doesn't have anything to do with the NHRA, especially in Detroit, and with the money there is to be made participating in the Outlaw show and all that comes with it, nobody cares what the NHRA says or does.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 20th 2015, 11:48 pm

Big D needs to get in in this!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike February 21st 2015, 12:21 am

My local track isn't sanctioned with NHRA or IHRA.
There's a bunch of bad ass cars that run there and I'm sure aren't affiliated with either.
ET,s and MPH on the board will never happen when these cars make a pass.
These are the kind of guys who will make the show.
It'll be the 312-vs-313!!!!!!
I bet Barney can pick 75% of the winners!
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet February 21st 2015, 7:02 am

Detroit has no E.T. at Milan Twice a month..  
These guys come out of the wood-work to run for cash..  
Serious cars here, 90% of them all street racers.
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 21st 2015, 12:09 pm

blown86hallet wrote:

Hope this materializes WITHOUT all the "drama" it might replace SO  Wink  .

Edit...Opps, I posted before I watched the video, looks like they will be replacing drama with plain old trash talking bull$h!t Rolling Eyes . Bad camera angles, too.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 21st 2015, 12:26 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I would say that Detroit should have a large group that could compete,but the deal w/NHRA pulling the licenses of racers that compete in such an event will detour most of them. BUT,if they can get their sticky fingers in the pot somehow,i'm sure them and Discovery can find a way too make it happen. Rolling Eyes

There are 8 second STREET cars all over the place and most won't meet NHRA safety rules ... hell, some don't even have a simple roll bar or any kind of competition belting.

They are STREET cars and do drive around on clear Sundays and legal holidays.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 21st 2015, 12:53 pm

the whole license deal wouldnt have happened if a few of the dumbasses had peeled the comp numbers and nhra stickers off yhe windows. with all the bs that has to happen for them to wear shirts w company names im surprised they let the comp numbers slip through.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De February 21st 2015, 1:54 pm

GT300TD wrote:
blown86hallet wrote:

Hope this materializes WITHOUT all the "drama" it might replace SO  Wink  .

Edit...Opps, I posted before I watched the video, looks like they will be replacing drama with plain old trash talking bull$h!t Rolling Eyes . Bad camera angles, too.
Ive run a few NO ET events at Milan for a good prepared surface to test. The track is open from 2 to midnight so you can get some good testing in. Most of the crazyness starts when the sun goes down. That's when they put chain link fencing in the burnout box to keep the bodies away from the cars. Theres nothing like going sideways in the box and seeing people jump out of the way. Anyway it is a strange event. Payso Productions and DetroitRacing.com seem to be paired up together where racers are tight. These guys will all run quicker than 8.70 at the track with a large group that go 7's. They are big on street tire shootout events and I assume some of them are street money racers. The OKC outlaws area code 405 would be outmatched from a large pool of 313, 586, 248 area codes. Not to mention its Detroit. We've had Woodward, French Road, and Gratiot street racers since the beginning of time.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 21st 2015, 3:17 pm

Dave De wrote:Ive run a few NO ET events at Milan for a good prepared surface to test. The track is open from 2 to midnight so you can get some good testing in. Most of the crazyness starts when the sun goes down.  That's when they put chain link fencing in the burnout box to keep the bodies away from the cars. Theres  nothing like going sideways in the box and seeing people jump out of the way. Anyway it is a strange event. Payso Productions and DetroitRacing.com seem to be paired up together where racers are tight. These guys will all run quicker than 8.70 at the track with a large group that go 7's. They are big on street tire shootout events and I assume some of them are street money racers.  The OKC outlaws area code 405 would be outmatched from a large pool of 313, 586, 248 area codes. Not to mention its Detroit. We've had Woodward, French Road, and Gratiot street racers since the beginning of time.

Spent most of my time on Telegraph and the service roads nearby.  My first run down a track was Milan.  You might find a few pockets around the country with some fast cars, but none of them have it deep in their blood and culture like Detroit.  It wasn't until I moved away that I realized how unique it was.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 21st 2015, 6:20 pm

Sure would like to see some FORD powered FORDS if this does take off Smile .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De February 22nd 2015, 12:30 pm

Last year the 405 was to come up to race some Detroiters in Romulus where they secured a permit from the city but when the news broadcast it to the public the permit was pulled. The road that they picked was not flat and rather questionable. I would not have done it. Also the show always has them running on roads with curbs that will trip the car if it hits it squarely making it roll over. Why do that?
Most of the Detroit places to street race are gone or watched continually. Then we had a few deaths of bystanders from street racing. Street racing brings money and guns that led to a shooting in Tailor where an undercover cop got shot. I heard that Michigan adopted the car seizure and crush law that Cali had years ago.
All of this has made No ET a popular event at Milan that's well attended, a money maker that saved the track from being in the red. I see lap belt cars running mid 9's without anything but a drive shaft loop.
Milan has a good program going I hope no one gets seriously injured from the lack of safety equipment.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 22nd 2015, 7:37 pm

The "seriously injured" thing is a "when" deal, certainly not an "if".  
Bending up a well built race car is a pretty common event at any track.
No prep + no cage + no 5-point + no sense = no such thing as a minor accident.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing February 23rd 2015, 10:50 am

Maverick, Good thing my old fox body had a good cage. I dont think I would have walked away from that one. It was at a no time no deal like that. That is about all I ever run any more. They are a blast. Tell them if they can't get it together in Detroit they should try the north al miss Memphis area. Lots of fast cars around there. Mavrick you think I might buy the old fox body back sometime?? Or have you get started on it yet.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 23rd 2015, 11:15 am

Ward, pm sent.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 23rd 2015, 12:44 pm

maverick wrote:The "seriously injured" thing is a "when" deal, certainly not an "if".  

What difference does it make? People get hurt with all the safety equipment too.

I guess getting people off the streets isn't enough?

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 23rd 2015, 4:48 pm

Carl wrote:
maverick wrote:The "seriously injured" thing is a "when" deal, certainly not an "if".  

What difference does it make?  People get hurt with all the safety equipment too.

I guess you're right...Roll cages and safety equipment don't make any difference. We may as well race naked on motorcycles.

....and yes, getting 'em off the streets is a good thing.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 23rd 2015, 4:57 pm

maverick wrote:
Carl wrote:

What difference does it make?  People get hurt with all the safety equipment too.

I guess you're right...Roll cages and safety equipment don't make any difference.  We may as well race naked on motorcycles.

Point being....drag racing is dangerous, and can kill you no matter how much safety gear you have in the car.

The list of priorities for the NHRA should be;
#1: get em off the streets.
#2 educate people about safety and encourage them to make their car safer.

Unfortunately, the NHRA has grown too big for it's britches. Like government, it's all about control now. Personal responsibility is a foreign concept.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 23rd 2015, 5:36 pm

[quote="Carl"]
maverick wrote:
Carl wrote:

I guess you're right...Roll cages and safety equipment don't make any difference.  We may as well race naked on motorcycles.

Point being....drag racing is dangerous, and can kill you no matter how much safety gear you have in the car.  

True enough. But I'll minimize the chances of leaking my own blood on the track any way I can. Case in point:

Years ago, I was at Bradenton and I saw an IHRA Mountain Motor ProStocker go squirrelly through the traps at 208 mph. The driver was helpless to avoid the wreck and we couldn't even see the car for all the smoke and dust as it flipped and skidded and barrel rolled off the far end of the track. The noise seemed to go on forever and we figured the driver was dead. When the safety crew arrived there wasn't a piece of the car's body left on the twisted and broken chassis. The engine and drivetrain were mostly absent too. The cage was resting upside down...and when they got the driver out of the car, he insisted he was ok and didn't need the ambulance. Instead, he began to walk back along the track, helping the cleanup crew to pick up pieces of his car.

Would anyone care to repeat that show without a cage and harness?

While some insist that "When your number's up, your number's up.", I will attempt to forestall my number coming up. As such, I no longer play rooftop trombone recitals during thunderstorms.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 23rd 2015, 5:44 pm

maverick wrote:
Carl wrote:
maverick wrote:
Carl wrote:

True enough.  But I'll minimize the chances of leaking my own blood on the track any way I can.  Case in point:

Years ago, I was at Bradenton and I saw an IHRA Mountain Motor ProStocker go squirrelly through the traps at 208 mph. The driver was helpless to avoid the wreck and we couldn't even see the car for all the smoke and dust as it flipped and skidded and barrel rolled off the far end of the track. The noise seemed to go on forever and we figured the driver was dead.  When the safety crew arrived there wasn't a piece of the car's body left on the twisted and broken chassis. The engine and drivetrain were mostly absent too.  The cage was resting upside down...and when they got the driver out of the car, he insisted he was ok and didn't need the ambulance.  Instead, he began to walk back along the track, helping the cleanup crew to pick up pieces of his car.

Would anyone care to repeat that show without a cage and harness?

While some insist that "When your number's up, your number's up.", I will attempt to forestall my number coming up.  As such, I no longer play rooftop trombone recitals during thunderstorms.

I'm not arguing against safety equipment. I won't drive a car without it either. But if somebody is looking for a place to race that doesn't endanger the public at large or their property, they shouldn't be turned away for lack of safety equipment.

The problem is that the NHRA is talking out both sides of their mouths. Claiming to be against street racing, but turning people back to the street because they don't want to cut up their car. They can talk insurance costs, and blah, blah, blah, but there are tracks running no ET nights and such without any safety inspection, so it can be done.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing February 23rd 2015, 6:26 pm

Safety is a balancing act. Do you want to be killed by the car next to you when he spins his stick shift car to 7 grand lets out the clutch and the flywheel turns into 20 pieces 2 lb shrapnel ? I think not. There was a guy who came to a local track here in Al. He was from calif. basically shut the place down. Safety is always the enemy of productivity. Reasonable safety for the speed of the car is the key. I Probaly go overboard with safety on my car. I've wrecked a couple of cars. It paid off no injurys. Walked away with only a small bruise on my arm. I'm a believer.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 23rd 2015, 8:26 pm

Carl wrote:
maverick wrote:
Carl wrote:

The list of priorities for the NHRA should be;
#1: get em off the streets.  
#2 educate people about safety and encourage them to make their car safer.

Unfortunately, the NHRA has grown too big for it's britches.  Like government, it's all about control now.  Personal responsibility is a foreign concept.
a big difference in government and nhra, you don't have to be part of nhra! cheers
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 24th 2015, 6:04 pm

I believe in safety as much as the next guy,but NHRA are so hypocritical when it comes too it the money part. They make you change out a perfectly good set of safety harness every 2 yrs. or you can't race.And then at the same track let a 2000hp small tire car w/o wheelie bars run so dangerously out of control pass after pass and never blink an eye. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 24th 2015, 6:53 pm

There is only one solution.... Need to start a new organization with 2 divisions....

1st one..... The OFHRA..... (old farts hot rod association, pronounced Ohhhhfra) For the really old grouchy guys who insist on extreme safety, geriatric accessibility and want to argue and gossip about everything. (Coug this is for you tongue

2nd one..... The YPHRA..... (Young Punks hot rod association, pronounced Soma-na-body-iza-gona-get-hurt) for the small tire, no safety equipment, street racing outlaw guys who race on there credit cards and live in there parents basement..

The rest of us can go on over to the IHRA they are a lot more fun than the NHRA.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next