BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A lot of forums a disapearing

+11
DFI429
cool40
Lem Evans
bbf-falcon
GT300TD
gmsmkr
HorsinAround
BigBlockRanger
dfree383
83-88T-Bird Guy
jones
15 posters

Go down

A lot of forums a disapearing  Empty A lot of forums a disapearing

Post  jones February 25th 2015, 12:09 pm

Let me first say this. One good thing about our forum here is that it is centered around tech on a specific engine and there will always be a need for us to get together and to further development in the 385 series Ford.

The other websites I visit are not tech based, just local racers that get together and talk about racing. Because of that Facebook has just about killed that forum as there is no need to visit the forum to see where the racing is going to be and talk smack.

I can't personally imagine the community with out this forum as it would be imposable to have a place all of this information available for future. Facebook in my opinion would be like stepping back into the dark ages. I hope more of you agree with me and help make sure this place keeps going. (I'm not saying I know anything negative about this forum, just the though of it scares me as I see all these other forums shutting doors.)

jones

Back to top Go down

A lot of forums a disapearing  Empty Re: A lot of forums a disapearing

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy February 25th 2015, 12:53 pm

I agree on the disappearance issue.

Alot of the forums I once went to are pretty dead.

The specialty group pages on fb seems to be where alot of guys are at.

Good and bad I suppose, but it sure is easier to upload a pic on fb in a post than to put it on a image hosting site  then paste the link on the forums.
Maybe that's one of the reasons ?
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 25th 2015, 12:59 pm

It's been affecting this site too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 25th 2015, 1:15 pm

I don't know about you but I don't see how engine builds and engine tech can be shared through Facebook. I know a lot of people use to only get on the forums to troll or shoot the bull.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 25th 2015, 1:26 pm

I have noticed the same thing.  The instant notification ability and easy use of FB is key to it's success.  The best of both worlds would be a forum embedded and accessible thru FB.  I tried that for my tiny forum, www.foureff.com.  It provided notification to replies and was fully functional when accessing it thru a pc, but did not work at all for mobile users.  That alone made it not worth my time to pursue any further.

I'm actually surprised variants of FB have not been created just for target specific groups like motorsports.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy February 25th 2015, 3:08 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:I have noticed the same thing.  The instant notification ability and easy use of FB is key to it's success.  The best of both worlds would be a forum embedded and accessible thru FB.  I tried that for my tiny forum, www.foureff.com.  It provided notification to replies and was fully functional when accessing it thru a pc, but did not work at all for mobile users.  That alone made it not worth my time to pursue any further.

I'm actually surprised variants of FB have not been created just for target specific groups like motorsports.

If there was, would it be called  " Racebook"  ?? lol

One of the nice things I like about the fb groups is the ability to center in on one specific model ( or year ) of car or engine group.
For me it's these interest groups:

groups dedicated to Fairmonts and Zephers only.
Turbo Coupe T-Birds only
Turbo 2.3 Ford only
Stock and Super Stock
Ford 6.2 powered trucks
v-10 trucks only
and the 429-460 Ford powered group

There are some groups I have not found yet.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 25th 2015, 4:14 pm

The thing I dislike most about FB is there is not a good way to search the posts and the fact everything is thrown in together.  There is not really an easy way to organize a certain page into sub-categories.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 25th 2015, 4:59 pm

I visit this forum daily and can't imagine it not being here. The information I have learned is invaluable!
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 25th 2015, 5:56 pm

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:
BigBlockRanger wrote:I have noticed the same thing.  The instant notification ability and easy use of FB is key to it's success.  The best of both worlds would be a forum embedded and accessible thru FB.  I tried that for my tiny forum, www.foureff.com.  It provided notification to replies and was fully functional when accessing it thru a pc, but did not work at all for mobile users.  That alone made it not worth my time to pursue any further.

If there was, would it be called  " Racebook"  ?? lol

One of the nice things I like about the fb groups is the ability to center in on one specific model ( or year ) of car or engine group.
For me it's these interest groups:

groups dedicated to Fairmonts and Zephers only.
Turbo Coupe T-Birds only
Turbo 2.3 Ford only
Stock and Super Stock
Ford 6.2 powered trucks
v-10 trucks only
and the 429-460 Ford powered group

There are some groups I have not found yet.

I have done the same but it's Facebook and all of its quirks. There is no way for anyone to post a engine build or search for a engine build. I feel like there will always be a need for forums like this.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 25th 2015, 6:13 pm

HorsinAround wrote:I visit this forum daily and can't imagine it not being here. The information I have learned is invaluable!

X2 this place is home
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 25th 2015, 7:08 pm

gmsmkr wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:I visit this forum daily and can't imagine it not being here. The information I have learned is invaluable!

X2 this place is home

X3...can't imagine not being able to visit this forum (and the other BBF forum, too) every day, even if it's just to check new posts. Being an old newbe I have gotten so much info here and met some GREAT Ford brothers. I am really greatfull for this forum and everyone associated with it. Thanks Bruno Very Happy

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 25th 2015, 8:17 pm

GT300TD wrote:
gmsmkr wrote:

X2 this place is home

X3...can't imagine not being able to visit this forum (and the other BBF forum, too) every day, even if it's just to check new posts. Being an old newbe I have gotten so much info here and met some GREAT Ford brothers. I am really greatfull for this forum and everyone associated with it. Thanks Bruno Very Happy

I agree completely.We may be smartass's too each other once in a while,kik fun at each other etc.But,for me it's all in fun.. Just because we don't agree w/each other from time to time and some seem to get upset. We are all a big family on here,and love each other like brothers. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 25th 2015, 9:09 pm

Most people are at the chevy/gmc site bragging about those ISUZU Jap engines that never fail.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 25th 2015, 9:35 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Most people are at the chevy/gmc site bragging  about those ISUZU Jap engines that never fail.
800 hp junkyard LS TTFMF'R! Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 25th 2015, 10:38 pm

I know I took a hiatus for a couple of years but I went through a dark valley during that time. Lost my job, both parents died and was hit by a truck and had my back broke. I am now getting back on my feet and able to get back into the action and as others mentioned, a lot of people on this website are like family. Heck, I joined the family back in 2000 or 2003 back when it was a old school website.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 February 25th 2015, 11:13 pm

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:I agree on the disappearance issue.

Alot of the forums I once went to are pretty dead.

The specialty group pages on fb seems to be where alot of guys are at.

Good and bad I suppose, but it sure is easier to upload a pic on fb in a post than to put it on a image hosting site  then paste the link on the forums.
Maybe that's one of the reasons ?

This and many other forums have their own hosting capabilities...  next time you're typing up a post look up top at the little icons and point at the one that says "host an image"... might be just what you're looking for  Wink

jones wrote:I don't know about you but I don't see how engine builds and engine tech can be shared through Facebook. I know a lot of people use to only get on the forums to troll or shoot the bull.

Exactly.  Facebook sucks for archiving.  It is a continuous feed and not a searchable/update-able archive.

BigBlockRanger wrote:The thing I dislike most about FB is there is not a good way to search the posts and the fact everything is thrown in together.  There is not really an easy way to organize a certain page into sub-categories.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

See above.  Probably won't change.

bbf-falcon wrote:...I agree completely.We may be smartass's too each other once in a while,kik fun at each other etc.But,for me it's all in fun.. Just because we don't agree w/each other from time to time and some seem to get upset. We are all a big family on here,and love each other like brothers. Very Happy

Agree here also... FB is way easier to get butthurt and not promote discussion, along the lines of the above mention of the continuous feed and not forum-like discussion Evil or Very Mad
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  bird of prey February 26th 2015, 1:17 am

i never used fb that much anyways. waist of time. exs and girl friends just use it to spy on me.
i read somewhere that a lot of the younger crowd was leaving fb because of all the old people on it.
bird of prey
bird of prey

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 26th 2015, 2:30 am

bird of prey wrote:i never used fb that much anyways. waist of time. exs and girl friends just use it to spy on me.
i read somewhere that a lot of the younger crowd was leaving fb because of all the old people on it.

That brings up another problem with FB. If all the young kids leave and FB quits making the money they want they will just shut it down. Good example was that place before FB ( I can't remember the name of it now!)

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy February 26th 2015, 8:08 am

jones wrote:
bird of prey wrote:i never used fb that much anyways. waist of time. exs and girl friends just use it to spy on me.

That brings up another problem with FB. If all the young kids leave and FB quits making the money they want they will just shut it down. Good example was that place before FB ( I can't remember the name of it now!)

Are you referring to "My Space"  ?

I only know that because I had kids living at home during that period.

I don't see fb ever shutting down.
That is probably the biggest data/photo collecting machine on earth.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 26th 2015, 10:58 am

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:
jones wrote:

Are you referring to "My Space"  ?

I only know that because I had kids living at home during that period.

I don't see fb ever shutting down.
That is probably the biggest data/photo collecting machine on earth.

Yes, My Space!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 27th 2015, 12:39 am

Facebook is very handy for following specialty groups. However, when it comes to good tech it seems more like going to a MM&FF forum. A whole bunch of stupidity from a bunch of keyboard warriors. At least here you solid info from people that have experience not just read it in a magazine or seen it on the internet.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 27th 2015, 5:55 am

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno February 27th 2015, 10:05 pm

dfree383 wrote:It's been affecting this site too.

yep .... but ole well

i did receive another offer today for someone/corporation to buy out the site

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down