BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"A" vs "C" cylinder head

+14
Curt
wayney
dfree383
garys gt
68formalGT
cool40
bbf-falcon
rmcomprandy
BigBlockRanger
gmsmkr
QtrWarrior
schmitty
Lem Evans
bruno
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"A" vs "C" cylinder head  - Page 2 Empty Re: "A" vs "C" cylinder head

Post  Curt March 29th 2015, 6:39 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Curt wrote:At one time, there was a huge difference in the performance abilities between the A & C heads. With all the advancements of the A head, that margin has closed up quite a bit.

You are assuming that advancements have not been made to the C heads too. I don't know that I'd call the difference HUGE for current A & C heads but, the difference is very measureable.  

There are A heads out there reporting as much power as my well worked C heads are making. Where did I go wrong??
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 29th 2015, 7:11 pm

Curt wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Curt wrote:At one time, there was a huge difference in the performance abilities between the A & C heads. With all the advancements of the A head, that margin has closed up quite a bit.

You are assuming that advancements have not been made to the C heads too. I don't know that I'd call the difference HUGE for current A & C heads but, the difference is very measureable.  

There are A heads out there reporting as much power as my well worked C heads are making. Where did I go wrong??
Time to step it up then Laughing There are A's out there making over 1200hp now, that was strictly C and better territory not that long ago. I will bet that there will be a set of C's going over 1300hp on a single carb before long. Twisted Evil
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 29th 2015, 7:34 pm

Curt, I'd be the last guy to say that you did anything "wrong" but, please notice what I said in my 1st post "as things evolve". Both style cylinder head packages have evolved.

Some of the chief suspects in this evolution are; valve shape, valve job, the ports, 1450 or bigger carbs, ring package, piston coatings, camshaft, etc. It's like the rest of the world....not much is standing still.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj March 29th 2015, 9:33 pm

I'd say the A head is where the take it out of the box and bolt it on head options end. C heads and the other exotics all are intended to be a place to start for the professional head guys. I'd doubt you are going to order a set of A heads from TFS, bolt them on and make 1,200+ hp NA. At some point cost to get those big numbers can make moving to a C head or better a better choice. All depends on what you want to achieve.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 30th 2015, 6:21 am

garys gt wrote:How much does a C head cost ready to run with similar valvetrain as the A head would come with ?

differeance in cost including intake was $68 . That starting with bare A or C. heads.

that was several years ago price. The C head can hit 490+ cfm with most port work done in the bowl area and the right valve job.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 30th 2015, 9:11 pm

DanH wrote:
garys gt wrote:How much does a C head cost ready to run with similar valvetrain as the A head would come with ?

differeance in cost including intake was $68 . That starting with bare A or C. heads.

that was several years ago price.  The C head can hit 490+ cfm with most port work done in the bowl area and the right valve job.

your telling me the only difference between the 2 heads is $68 starting from a clean build scratch

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 30th 2015, 9:52 pm

bruno wrote:
DanH wrote:

that was several years ago price.  The C head can hit 490+ cfm with most port work done in the bowl area and the right valve job.

your telling me the only difference between the 2 heads is $68 starting from a clean build scratch
I think Dan is saying that at one time the price difference between the bare castings was only $68.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 31st 2015, 12:50 pm

DanH wrote:

True,BUT that is where the real expence between the 2 really starts to separate with the BIG BIG jump in price going with the C's and the Shaft rockers.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 31st 2015, 1:36 pm

Bruno's O.P. said "all out". So, if a guy were to get it all out, the wallet would be included in "all". Smile

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 31st 2015, 5:43 pm

Baller.....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT March 31st 2015, 7:09 pm

Wouldn't all out be A441's? (Like Frank Merkl's)
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 31st 2015, 7:19 pm

"All out" is a perpetually moving target. That's the evolution Lem's talking about.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 31st 2015, 7:44 pm

68formalGT wrote:Wouldn't all out be A441's? (Like Frank Merkl's)

Maybe but, O.P. was "A vs C"

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 31st 2015, 7:48 pm

maverick wrote:"All out" is a perpetually moving target.  That's the evolution Lem's talking about.

Yep, a decade old 'all out' don't work any more Laughing

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 31st 2015, 9:13 pm

My definition of ALL OUT, usually pertains to cash or funds. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH April 1st 2015, 10:31 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
DanH wrote:

True,BUT that is where the real expence between the 2 really starts to separate with the BIG BIG jump in price going with the C's and the Shaft rockers.
It was $68 including the shaft rockers for the C head. Remenber the valve train is the same, the A also has shaft rocker. head studs not included in the price, intake manifolds are.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2