BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rebuilding a C6

+11
56f100guy
Greg_P
87GT
Frank Merkl
OldRedFord
res0rli9
Gregaust
65Galaxie
uf63
billandlori
NO FAIR
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

rebuilding a C6 - Page 2 Empty Re: rebuilding a C6

Post  DeepRoots 15th January 2017, 10:37

Hey I'm the non-professional that built that one ^
I built that in fall of 2014.

As far as how is it holding up? It's still perfect, probably driven 7,000miles.
I pulled the guts out this June and stuffed them into an FE case. Currently behind a 447ci FE that makes somewhere around 550hp. Still no issues tho took a lil fine tuning to shift the same with the lower intake vacuum.

I am the Chief engineer of a Merchant Marine vessel, so I do have *some* mechanical skills, but that was only the second c6 I've built, so hardly a transmission pro. Only put together 8-9 c6's total.

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT 15th January 2017, 12:53

I did mine in my mud truck. I used a combination of the bad shoe video, Greg and Frank's pictures and info on the other forum a transmission book and the manual that I got from Broader with my rebuild kit. I got all the parts to Frank's specks and added the 300m input shaft and it's held up to my 472 doing lo range 4500 rpm launches on cut tires with a 300 shot of nitrous. Next time I rebuild it'll be with Frank's new billet drum and hopefully Frank will have a 2nd gear brake ready!!!
68formalGT
68formalGT

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DeepRoots 15th January 2017, 14:27

I wonder how that drum does in street strip duty. I think it is a great idea but wonder if it can handle thousands of miles. Any thoughts Frank, greg, et el?

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust 16th January 2017, 05:45

That's why I added the link to your build , some good info there Smile

I wondered about the drum also . Frank would be the one to answer . I believe i read somewhere he tested them for a few? years before releasing for sale

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust 16th January 2017, 05:54

68formalGT wrote: hopefully Frank will have a 2nd gear brake ready!!!

Best give Frank a shout. I copied this from an email from him last year Smile

PS ,I've designed a transbrake VB with the transbrake in 2nd gear for the big power small tire guy's and my self with my 712 A441 headed twin turbo motor . it's still in testing but looks good ,with the low ratio set from ford it will have a 1.54 2nd gear. 14 lb's lighter than a thm400
Frank

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick 23rd January 2017, 04:38

Dave,
Haven't been on for awhile and just seen this. I have all the tools you will need to do your trans, I have a C6 book, I can't remember if I have a dvd or not.
If you haven't already done it, I can step you step you thru your rebuild if you want to do it yourself. You can do it here or at your place.

racnrick

Back to top Go down

rebuilding a C6 - Page 2 Empty No pro rebuild

Post  manofmerc 24th January 2017, 06:58

When I pulled my c6 to install franks trans brake it had been in for five years .Five years of bracket racing .It looked almost new .I am not a professional trans builder just a backyard guy .Having a really good valve body is important .Correct timing and pressure mean your clutches and band will last .Along with the right clearances .You cant build a drag racing transmission for 500-600 hp as if it were in a stock build .Along with a manual or dvd it helps to have somebody that has some experience with a c6.Another thing is a machinist with a lathe or mill .Machining pressure plates to open the clearances is often the only way to get to the spec you need .Get your self a parts transmission. Some parts are unique inside .It will help to have an extra in case you lose something .Good luck to all present and future c6 builders .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2