BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Builder in DFW

+3
YellowStangDuane
gt350hr
SLord82
7 posters

Go down

Engine Builder in DFW Empty Engine Builder in DFW

Post  SLord82 April 14th 2015, 11:47 am

Looking for a experienced builder in the DFW area. Been collecting parts for a while to build a P51 headed 545 for my Torino and really want this done right the first time.

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Engine Builder in DFW Empty Re: Engine Builder in DFW

Post  gt350hr April 14th 2015, 2:36 pm

Two "in that area" are Todd @ Kustom Machine in Denison 903-465-0918 or Joe @ G&G Machine in Stephenville 254-968-4301 Both speak Ford and are honest shops I have dealt with.
Randy

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane April 14th 2015, 10:04 pm

G&G for sure. Morgan and Sons have been building some really fast SBF's lately too though.
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper April 14th 2015, 10:13 pm

Taylor Lastor is who does all of our machine work and builds if we don't have time to assemble. We couldn't find a builder in DFW to give us what we asked for. All we ever heard is that we've been doing it like this or that for years and we know it works. I don't want a lesson on machining. I want the specs I ask for. The end. Taylor gives us everything we ask for.

TRE race engines in Cleveland Texas.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 14th 2015, 10:21 pm

G&G in Stephenville.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 April 15th 2015, 10:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking/hoping for something closer, I live in Richardson. Also, I should mention this is a pump gas mostly, like 90%, street car.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 26th 2015, 10:51 pm

Call Bud and Shannon (Morgan and Sons) if you're wanting to stay close. Tell them I sent you.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 May 27th 2015, 9:01 pm

I've been referred to them by several different sources. Thanks for the feedback.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  Skinny chicken June 3rd 2015, 10:55 pm

whatbumper wrote:Taylor Lastor is who does all of our machine work and builds if we don't have time to assemble.  We couldn't find a builder in DFW to give us what we asked for.  All we ever heard is that we've been doing it like this or that for years and we know it works.  I don't want a lesson on machining.  I want the specs I ask for.  The end.  Taylor gives us everything we ask for.  

TRE is 2 miles from me and I wouldn't let him work in my mower. He is a complete prick.
I talked to him about my a-460 head 557 and he was an ass. Wouldn't deal with him at all.
He does good work from what I've seen but I just can't deal with a rude person.

Skinny chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 4th 2015, 10:53 pm

Skinny chicken wrote:
whatbumper wrote:Taylor Lastor is who does all of our machine work and builds if we don't have time to assemble.  We couldn't find a builder in DFW to give us what we asked for.  All we ever heard is that we've been doing it like this or that for years and we know it works.  I don't want a lesson on machining.  I want the specs I ask for.  The end.  Taylor gives us everything we ask for.  

TRE is 2 miles from me and I wouldn't let him work in my mower. He is a complete prick.
I talked to him about my a-460 head 557 and he was an ass. Wouldn't deal with him at all.
He does good work from what I've seen but I just can't deal with a rude person.

I'm sorry you've had that experience. I've not seen that but they do take a while.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 5th 2015, 1:11 pm

The biggest problem with Taylor is that he has many more complaints than he does praises. I realize that a mad customer will tell everyone, where a happy customer will only tell a few, but I'm not hearing horror stories about our members - Oakley, Jet boat, Randy or some of the big local builders, Reher Morrison, Sunset etc.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 8th 2015, 12:14 pm

Curt wrote:The biggest problem with Taylor is that he has many more complaints than he does praises. I realize that a mad customer will tell everyone, where a happy customer will only tell a few, but I'm not hearing horror stories about our members - Oakley, Jet boat, Randy or some of the big local builders, Reher Morrison, Sunset etc.

Most of our "local" builders dont want to mess with a Ford. I know Reher doesn't and since Sunset moved into my backyard they dont seem to do as much custom stuff besides their cookie cutter motors which are good engines. The others you mentioned do great work but it's impractical for us to use due to distance and shipping.

You are correct that a mad customer is louder than the satisfied ones. I hear that all the time with our converters and transmissions. We have probably 100:1 ration on happy to mad but the happy people don't talk as much. This includes the people who watch tv and think everything they see is really happening, even when it's either not a real issue or and install error due to the fast turnaround those guys have.

Bud Morgan is really good. We use Taylor due to the diverse background he has and the fact that everything we've had done is top notch. His pricing is a lot cheaper than the other local guys to us which helps a bunch.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger June 8th 2015, 2:54 pm

Curt wrote:G&G in Stephenville.

Interesting. I graduated from Tarleton in '93. Never knew there was a good engine shop in Stevensberg.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 8th 2015, 9:02 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:
Curt wrote:G&G in Stephenville.

Interesting.  I graduated from Tarleton in '93.  Never knew there was a good engine shop in Stevensberg.

He does a lot of monster truck, pulling truck motors.

Gig'em!
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down