BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F250 Brake rotors......

+5
IDT-572
BigRigTech
Doug Rahn
FalconEh
Moodyblues
9 posters

Go down

F250 Brake rotors...... Empty F250 Brake rotors......

Post  Moodyblues April 16th 2015, 8:53 pm

I have a 2000 F250 super Duty that needs new front rotors. I have seen them from $50 - $300. Buddy of mine that runs the local oreilly s says they're all about the same and his comes with lifetime warranty.

Your thoughts?
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

F250 Brake rotors...... Empty Re: F250 Brake rotors......

Post  FalconEh April 16th 2015, 9:34 pm

Moodyblues wrote:I have a 2000 F250 super Duty that needs new front rotors.   I have seen them from $50 - $300.   Buddy of mine that runs the local oreilly s says they're all about the same and his comes with lifetime warranty.  

Your thoughts?

Suspect Outside of the aftermarket, I do believe that some of the overpriced stuff does not give a reason they are better, but even comparably priced rotors are often different material contents and do not perform the same, some good and some bad. Does your buddy tow a trailer, run curvy roads and generally build heat in the brakes. I cannot speak to the brand orielly's sells, it may be one of the good ones, if so I would also ask what kind of pads he uses with them, as many of the imported rotors warp or disintegrate quickly with a higher level of metalic pad. As for the warranty, my experience states most are technically written absolution papers that are both under explained and help to entice consumers to buy products with a false sense they will be covered if a failure occurs.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 17th 2015, 7:05 am

Try www.rockauto.com they usually have all the major players and sometimes offer rotor and pad packages. About 6 months ago I bought some new rotors for my Econoline project and they are rotors for an F53 motorhome chassis, these things are extremely large and they were under $100 a piece.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 17th 2015, 9:14 am

Doug Rahn wrote:Try www.rockauto.com they usually have all the major players and sometimes offer rotor and pad packages. About 6 months ago I bought some new rotors for my Econoline project and they are rotors for an F53 motorhome chassis, these things are extremely large and they were under $100 a piece.

I buy a lot from these guys too. Even with the exchange and shipping to Canada some of the parts are still way cheaper then buying them here.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 April 17th 2015, 11:17 pm

My truck 97 F250 is hard on rotors and pads........... I have been looking for an aftermarket bigger diameter rotor and matching pads. The one I have been using are bad to warp after very few miles towing my trailers.

Doug you said the ones you bought were larger, please tell me about them and what brand they were.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 April 18th 2015, 2:21 am

IDT-572 wrote:My truck 97 F250 is hard on rotors and pads...........  I have been looking for an aftermarket bigger diameter rotor and matching pads. The one I have been using are bad to warp after very few miles towing my trailers.

Doug you said the ones you bought were larger, please tell me about them and what brand they were.
Just reminding you of the obvious that I found on Ryder vans. Most times warped rotors and frequent pad replacement are the result of the rear brakes not operating properly. I found most times the auto adjusters were not working right, wheel cylinders frozen on one or both pistons, bell mouth drums and the lever on the load ratio valve loose or broken or the valve itself. This applies to drum brakes on rear. 
  When the rear are not working right it overworks/over heats the front.
  As I said, just a reminder and what I found over many years.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 18th 2015, 5:02 am

IDT-572 wrote:My truck 97 F250 is hard on rotors and pads...........  I have been looking for an aftermarket bigger diameter rotor and matching pads. The one I have been using are bad to warp after very few miles towing my trailers.

Blake, the rotors I was referring to are for the F53 Motorhome axle that I adapted to work under my Econoline project. I just mention them because RockAuto has just about everything and name brand products like Motorcraft, Bendix, Raybestos, etc. with good prices even with giant brake rotors. And those mothers are big under a motorhome, 15.5" dia.  I don't think you could adapt them on an F250.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 18th 2015, 7:58 am

The best upgrade you can do to an OBS is a hydroboost setup off an F450 of the same era. I put one on my 92 F350 C&C 4x4 dually and it was the best thing I ever did to my truck. The brakes are SO much better, my truck is 9000lbs empty with the plow on. Cost me $100 for a used M/C and booster setup. I found a junk power steering pump with the 2 return ports and put that reservoir on my pump and bought all the hoses new from Rock auto - the hoses were really cheap there. New drums, rotors, wheel cylinders, pads and calipers were put on at the same time....What a difference. Cool ...As for the comment regarding the rear brake adjustment - that's the truth in my experience. Even with all new stuff my truck has always been a fussy bitch when it comes to the rear brake adjustment. My 91 F250 was the same way.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues April 21st 2015, 6:02 pm

Thanks fellas I finished up on Sunday afternoon. New front rotors, brakes, bearings and seals.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  kim April 21st 2015, 9:15 pm

Add in wore out shocks so every brake application is a 120 percent weight shift to the nose.  Compounding heat distirtion and abuse.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 21st 2015, 11:00 pm

I have tried cryo rotors, power slot rotors and stock rotors and they all last about 40k miles on my 03 F350. This last time I bought some from Rotorpros. All 4 cost what just the fancy front ones do and I can't believe how much better the truck stops now.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues April 22nd 2015, 9:55 pm

kim wrote:Add in wore out shocks so every brake application is a 120 percent weight shift to the nose.  Compounding heat distirtion and abuse.

I put new shocks on a couple months ago
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry April 23rd 2015, 5:29 am

Blake,

We "tried" to follow you up to the BBF Bash race in Owensboro a few years back; I don't think rotors or brake pads is the issue?  tongue

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 23rd 2015, 9:35 am

Bsherry wrote:

Blake,

We "tried" to follow you up to the BBF Bash race in Owensboro a few years back; I don't think rotors or brake pads is the issue?  tongue

Bruce

Hahaha so true.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down