BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me run on pump gas.

+2
69F100
hotrod1956
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help me run on pump gas. - Page 2 Empty hotrod1956

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 12:04 pm

69F100 wrote:You could get a new set of dish piston to lower the c/r they may have to custom made might check. With  prob piston they may have a set or make you a set.
Thanks for the reply. Might do just that.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Help me run on pump gas. - Page 2 Empty Re: Help me run on pump gas.

Post  supervel45 July 3rd 2015, 12:36 pm

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php You can run your cam spec.s through here and see what the dymanic compression will be. You can also retard the cam to lower it. Like Randy said it will be a compromise with the high compression and low octane. I would use the D3 heads myself. You get to do away with the rail rockers and get hardened exhaust seats as a bonus. The compression ratio will be in the mid 9 range and with your cam at 0 or advanced slightly, and more ignition timing, should make more low end power, where you need it with a heavy car.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 6:08 pm

supervel45 wrote:http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php   You can run your cam spec.s through here and see what the dymanic compression will be. You can also retard the cam to lower it. Like Randy said it will be a compromise with the high compression and low octane. I would use the D3 heads myself. You get to do away with the rail rockers and get hardened exhaust seats as a bonus. The compression ratio will be in the mid 9 range and with your cam at 0 or advanced slightly, and more ignition timing, should make more low end power, where you need it with a heavy car.
Thanks for the info supervel45. Got a guy that wants to trade me some D3ve for my Dove heads. Thanks again.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 6:12 pm

69F100 wrote:You could get a new set of dish piston to lower the c/r they may have to custom made might check. With  prob piston they may have a set or make you a set.
Thanks for the info, everyone has been very helpful on this site.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 7:09 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Any "crutch" you use to simply be able to run pump gas would cost power.
Changing the heads to something like the D2OE-AB Police Interceptor heads would be the best thing to do, if you are set on keeping it a 429.
Guess I am going to say uncle on this and get some other heads. People want my dove heads to put on there 460's. So I can trade anytime I want. Could just get some Edelbrocks and keep my flat top's. Thanks for the help and info. Can't wait to get this running.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 3rd 2015, 8:47 pm

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/05/EdelbrockFlowTest/index.php If you want to spend the money, the Edelbrock's are nice. They kind of copied the PI intake ports, and made the exhaust ports to fit regular headers, so that's a plus along with the weight savings. You will need roller rockers and hardened pushrods also.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 9:27 pm

supervel45 wrote:https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/05/EdelbrockFlowTest/index.php   If you want to spend the money, the Edelbrock's are nice. They kind of copied the PI intake ports, and made the exhaust ports to fit regular headers, so that's a plus along with the weight savings. You will need roller rockers and hardened pushrods also.
supervel45 I went to the fordmuscle.com, they seem to like the Edelbrocks. Looks like they have a complete topend kit. Thanks for the help. Will move on this after this holiday weekend.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 3rd 2015, 9:36 pm

If you go with the Edelbrocks, you may also want to get their headbolt kit, as they are different than stock oem. Some people use the stock bolts, but it is harder to get a socket on them. Now you have to decide between the 75cc and the 95cc chambers, since they are aluminum and you can get by with more compression. If you don't like paying for super all the time, go with the 95's.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 3rd 2015, 10:08 pm

supervel45 wrote:If you go with the Edelbrocks, you may also want to get their headbolt kit, as they are different than stock oem. Some people use the stock bolts, but it is harder to get a socket on them. Now you have to decide between the 75cc and the 95cc chambers, since they are aluminum and you can get by with more compression. If you don't like paying for super all the time, go with the 95's.
Heck if I can stay with 10.5.1 I will go with the 75cc heads. I don't mind buying 93 octane. Thanks for info on the head bolts.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 4th 2015, 11:05 am

A compression ratio of 10.5/1 would work fine with an aluminum head having minimal quench clearance and a cam of about 224 @.050" or larger.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 4th 2015, 3:59 pm

The way I see it, is if I am going to lay out the money for aluminum heads and everything that goes with them, I would want the best bang for my buck. This would include a bigger camshaft than the Comp 268 you have, along with a higher stall convertor and matching rear end gears, exhaust, ect. On a 429 with high dollar heads and valvetrain, I would cam it for at least 6,500 RPM's. I would go for something like the Xtreme Energy 274, or even the Edelbrock matching RPM cam, or a custom grind and would also seriously consider a solid or mechanical roller. The 268 you have makes alot more sense with the D3's and a stock torque convertor and high gears in a budget build than with the Edelbrocks in that combination to me. What I am saying is there is no way I would use your cam with the Edelbrocks' with 75cc or 95cc chambers, regardless or detonation or gas costs. Think of it this way, $1K headers, $2.5K to $3K heads intake roller rokers pushrods ect. 5,500RPM or so peak HP, and almost zero ( or if it's even 50 HP ) gain over a well ported set D3's does not add up to good to me. Here is another thing to consider, you said want to stick with 429 CID, and I believe you mentioned porting the iron heads yourself, nothing wrong with that, it makes pefect sense with your 268 cam. You should consider this, you could by a stroker kit with the money saved from the aluminum heads and other required related parts and make more H/P and torque down low, where you need it for about the same price as the Edelbrocks with better rods and pistons and a forged crankshaft with ported D3's. I am also a die hard 429 fan, but they have their limitations, they are ment for high RPM use for best performance.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 4th 2015, 4:26 pm

supervel45 wrote:The way I see it, is if I am going to lay out the money for aluminum heads and everything that goes with them, I would want the best bang for my buck.  This would include a bigger camshaft than the Comp 268 you have, along with a higher stall convertor and matching rear end gears, exhaust, ect. On a 429 with high dollar heads and valvetrain, I would cam it for at least 6,500 RPM's. I would go for something like the Xtreme Energy 274, or even the Edelbrock matching RPM cam, or a custom grind and would also seriously consider a solid or mechanical roller. The 268 you have makes alot more sense with the D3's and a stock torque convertor and high gears in a budget build than with the Edelbrocks in that combination to me. What I am saying is there is no way I would use your cam with the Edelbrocks' with 75cc or 95cc chambers, regardless or detonation or gas costs. Think of it this way, $1K headers, $2.5K to $3K heads intake roller rokers pushrods ect. 5,500RPM or so peak HP, and almost zero ( or if it's even 50 HP ) gain over a well ported set D3's does not add up to good to me. Here is another thing to consider, you said want to stick with 429 CID, and I believe you mentioned porting the iron heads yourself, nothing wrong with that, it makes pefect sense with your 268 cam. You should consider this, you could by a stroker kit with the money saved from the  aluminum heads and other required related parts and make more H/P and torque down low, where you need it for about the same price as the Edelbrock's with better rods and pistons and a forged crankshaft with ported D3's. I am also a die hard 429 fan, but they have their limitations, they are meant for high RPM use for best performance.

Who is really going to know what crankshaft is in there...?
Especially if it is an early OEM 460 crank with internal balance.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 4th 2015, 5:58 pm

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/01/01/hmn_feature5.html I linked this as a tease of what an extreme example of a factory modified block, heads and intake are capable of with a 588" stroker kit, and alot of money and experience thrown at it can do. I am not at all saying he should expect anything close to this kind of perfomance, just what has been achieved with some highly modified factory parts. I just wanted to point out that a 521" with ported iron heads 9.5 c/r and a mild cam and factory valve train may out perform or equal a 429" with Edelbrock heads and a high rpm cam, high stall torque convertor and low gears, not to mention trying to do it with a used stock bottom end, for the same amount of money or less and have alot better driveabilty, with new/stronger bottom end parts. It's about like the big block vs. small block argument when you are talking about almost 100 cubic inch's and without the weight advantage of the small block either. They Edelbrock heads would stick out like a sore thumb if he is trying to appear stock, also. He could also go with a Iron SCJ intake manifold also with the D3's portmatched for the factory look, and I doubt anyone but the most diehard Ford fans would ever notice, and have a lot smoother idle to boot.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrod1956 July 5th 2015, 10:05 am

rmcomprandy wrote:A compression ratio of 10.5/1 would work fine with an aluminum head having minimal quench clearance and a cam of about 224 @.050" or larger.
Thanks very much for the info on the Edelbrocks. I see you are a engine builder and I find no will say if the Singh grooves will work for pre detonatioon. Thank again.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Help me run on pump gas. - Page 2 Empty Hotrod1956

Post  hotrod1956 July 5th 2015, 10:16 am

supervel45 wrote:The way I see it, is if I am going to lay out the money for aluminum heads and everything that goes with them, I would want the best bang for my buck.  This would include a bigger camshaft than the Comp 268 you have, along with a higher stall convertor and matching rear end gears, exhaust, ect. On a 429 with high dollar heads and valvetrain, I would cam it for at least 6,500 RPM's. I would go for something like the Xtreme Energy 274, or even the Edelbrock matching RPM cam, or a custom grind and would also seriously consider a solid or mechanical roller. The 268 you have makes alot more sense with the D3's and a stock torque convertor and high gears in a budget build than with the Edelbrocks in that combination to me. What I am saying is there is no way I would use your cam with the Edelbrocks' with 75cc or 95cc chambers, regardless or detonation or gas costs. Think of it this way, $1K headers, $2.5K to $3K heads intake roller rokers pushrods ect. 5,500RPM or so peak HP, and almost zero ( or if it's even 50 HP ) gain over a well ported set D3's does not add up to good to me. Here is another thing to consider, you said want to stick with 429 CID, and I believe you mentioned porting the iron heads yourself, nothing wrong with that, it makes pefect sense with your 268 cam. You should consider this, you could by a stroker kit with the money saved from the  aluminum heads and other required related parts and make more H/P and torque down low, where you need it for about the same price as the Edelbrocks with better rods and pistons and a forged crankshaft with ported D3's. I am also a die hard 429 fan, but they have their limitations, they are ment for high RPM use for best performance.
Thanks for all the great info, guess I need to get after it. Was gonna try to tune it the best I could with the dove heads. Guess I will save them for a dished 460. Thanks for all the ideas. Got so much great info from all you guy's. Awesome forum.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next