BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop

+5
res0rli9
Doug Rahn
dfree383
jbozzelle
jones
9 posters

Go down

Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop Empty Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop

Post  jones October 6th 2015, 9:33 pm

I am looking into the fuel tank on my 94 F150. I can either buy a new factory tank and have a sump welded on to it or I could fine someone to make a tank with foam, sump and capable of using the factory fuel filler.

Anyone know of a shop that could make the tank?

jones

Back to top Go down

Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop Empty Re: Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop

Post  jbozzelle October 8th 2015, 4:18 pm

What's wrong with the tank you have now?  Simple to sump the factory deal.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop Empty Re: Anyone Know a custom fuel tank shop

Post  dfree383 October 8th 2015, 4:36 pm

jbozzelle wrote:What's wrong with the tank you have now?  Simple to sump the factory deal.

X2 why make a simple thing into a big dollar ordeal?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 9th 2015, 8:55 am

In case you still need a custom deal, these guys are top notch. I had them build a custom cell for me when I re-done the rear suspension on my car. I think I paid about $300 for a 5 gal cell built from a drawing I sent them. Top quality workmanship and it was built exactly to my drawing, a perfect fit. http://www.boydwelding.com/
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  jones October 14th 2015, 11:39 pm

i haven't found anyone willing to weld on a used fuel tank. If I can get a fuel cell made exactly like I want for 300 I'd be money ahead. Plan B is to buy a new fuel tank and have a sump welded on.

I have heard that if you have to rinse a gas tank out with diesel if you want a chance to weld on a used tank,

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 16th 2015, 2:55 pm

I've just washed them out with hot soapy water and rinsed real good. Do that a few times and let it air dry. The smell will go away...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 October 16th 2015, 4:22 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I've just washed them out with hot soapy water and rinsed real good.  Do that a few times and let it air dry.  The smell will go away...

This!!! I always take mine to the self car wash & wash them out & come home and start welding.
Works like a Champ... Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper October 16th 2015, 5:02 pm

soap and water along with running an air hose in the tank just for extra evacuation. no biggie.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R October 16th 2015, 7:22 pm

Clean it out real good then run a hose from the exhaust of a running vehicle into the tank to purge the oxygen and fill it with carbon monoxide, weld away

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 16th 2015, 9:17 pm

You can also drop in some chucks of dry ice and it will displace the oxygen with now chance of fire or explosion. I've done it before plus it improved the weld characteristics with the oxygen gone on the other side of the weld.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 October 16th 2015, 11:34 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I've just washed them out with hot soapy water and rinsed real good.  Do that a few times and let it air dry.  The smell will go away...

I have also done propane tanks like that when cutting open to make grill or a shop heater out of them.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 17th 2015, 5:05 am

You could always try flooding the inside of the tank with argon Tig gas to displace the oxygen & weld that sucker up.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jones October 17th 2015, 5:06 pm

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

Our welders braze med-gas, lines in a similar fashion. Purge all the air out of the lines with a heavy gas in order to keep the inside clean.

I will have to drop the tank as soon as I get the old engine pulled.

I'm not very good with welding thin metal.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum