BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RV Trans swap

3 posters

Go down

RV Trans swap Empty RV Trans swap

Post  Maulerman November 10th 2015, 9:56 pm

This may seem pedestrian compared to most of the threads on here but what the hell. I have a,1988, class A, RV on a Ford chassis with the 460. The engine has been modified to improve mileage but with the C6 trans and 4.10 rear gears I am turning around 3000 rpm at highway speed. The engine mods have increased the low end of the engine and I know I can pull an overdrive gear on level ground. I am trying to improve on the 7 mpg it presently gets.

I first looked at swapping in a E4OD trans but they are getting kind of rare and therefore expensive. I just found out about a GM 4L60 trans might work, too. I found that adapters are available for that. I am aware that a controller is needed for the E4OD. Will I need one for the 4L60? Any other transmissions that will work? There is plenty of room to mount the transmission underneath, space is not an issue.

I am trying to do the swap on a really short, shoestring budget. I don't see the logic of spending $3k on a gear vendors(which won't give me a lock up converter) or similar arrangement on an RV that I probably couldn't sell for $3K.

Any advice or experience related to this issue is greatly appreciated. Any thoughts?

Maulerman

Back to top Go down

RV Trans swap Empty Re: RV Trans swap

Post  whitefield November 11th 2015, 12:00 am

Welcome to the Forum . E40D for that are not hard to come buy. I may have one ! Is your 460 carb or fuel injected ?

The 4L60 is a waist of your time ! If you were talking about a 4L80 it is better , but any of the
OD transmissions mentioned will need a stand alone control system .

If I were to do it I would put a E40D and buy a trans controller .

Baumann engineering is who I would check in with for a controller . Good luck
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 12th 2015, 8:19 pm

it would be cheaper to hang a gear vendor on behind the C6
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

RV Trans swap Empty Overdrive

Post  Maulerman November 13th 2015, 5:55 pm

Isn't the gear vendors unit about $2500? I was thinking I could do the E4OD swap cheaper than that. Am I wrong?

Maulerman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down