No more Nitro Plate

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  kim on November 25th 2015, 11:29 pm

jones wrote:Jet hot contacted me, during the quote process they said that the polished finish won't work with my engine setup. They said the exhaust temps are liable to get too hot.

Jet hot only certs the nickel plate on NEW to 1100, used, no warranty. Everything else is either a blue, black or dull grey for temp protection to 2500.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-28
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jones on November 26th 2015, 1:02 am

kim wrote:
jones wrote:Jet hot contacted me, during the quote process they said that the polished finish won't work with my engine setup. They said the exhaust temps are liable to get too hot.

Jet hot only certs the nickel plate on NEW to 1100, used, no warranty.   Everything else is either a blue, black or dull grey for temp protection to 2500.

They quoted me Extreme 2500 coating that they warranty for life up to 4,000 degrees. It's a full ceramic and smoother than the coating between the two. I'd rather go with a smooth finish than a rough texture. They told me to make sure I don't run the headers before they are coated. The coating they quoted me is applied by "spray flamed"??? It sounds like it get's real hot, like hotter than 1100 during the coating process.

jones

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Philadelphia, MS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  SandHillsHillbilly on November 26th 2015, 1:23 am

jones wrote:
kim wrote:
jones wrote:Jet hot contacted me, during the quote process they said that the polished finish won't work with my engine setup. They said the exhaust temps are liable to get too hot.

Jet hot only certs the nickel plate on NEW to 1100, used, no warranty.   Everything else is either a blue, black or dull grey for temp protection to 2500.

They quoted me Extreme 2500 coating that they warranty for life up to 4,000 degrees. It's a full ceramic and smoother than the coating between the two. I'd rather go with a smooth finish than a rough texture. They told me to make sure I don't run the headers before they are coated. The coating they quoted me is applied by "spray flamed"??? It sounds like it get's real hot, like hotter than 1100 during the coating process.

FlameSpray
http://www.flamesprayusa.com/?gclid=CKC31sT2rMkCFdgWgQodZQIMaw
avatar
SandHillsHillbilly

Posts : 225
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : South Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jones on November 26th 2015, 2:58 am

This is a decent video of flame spray coating.


jones

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Philadelphia, MS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jasonf on November 26th 2015, 11:27 am

I have had a couple sets of aluminum looking coating and I find they don't look too nice a few years down the road. It has been mentioned before you can polish them but who want's to polish in car headers. On a roadster maybe. Next set I have done will be black or some dark color.

I wonder why they can't coat used headers for the extreme 2500. How much was the price they quoted you Jones?
avatar
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-07-15
Age : 49
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  kim on November 26th 2015, 3:17 pm

The jet hot stuff is a liquid dip and bake process. Inside and out get fully coated. The proceedure above will protect the look, but still allow the pipes to rust and eventually fail from the inside out.

kim

Posts : 700
Join date : 2009-06-28
Location : Tucson AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jones on November 26th 2015, 7:28 pm

jasonf wrote:I have had a couple sets of aluminum looking coating and I find they don't look too nice a few years down the road. It has been mentioned before you can polish them but who want's to polish in car headers. On a roadster maybe. Next set I have done will be black or some dark color.

I wonder why they can't coat used headers for the extreme 2500. How much was the price they quoted you Jones?

They quoted me $700 plus the cost of return shipping for the Extreeme 2500.

jones

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Philadelphia, MS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jones on November 26th 2015, 7:29 pm

kim wrote:The jet hot stuff is a liquid dip and bake process.  Inside and out get fully coated.  The proceedure above will protect the look, but still allow the pipes to rust and eventually fail from the inside out.

That's good to know. I was thinking about the headers rusting or melting from the inside out!

jones

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Philadelphia, MS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jasonf on November 26th 2015, 8:57 pm

jones wrote:
jasonf wrote:I have had a couple sets of aluminum looking coating and I find they don't look too nice a few years down the road. It has been mentioned before you can polish them but who want's to polish in car headers. On a roadster maybe. Next set I have done will be black or some dark color.

I wonder why they can't coat used headers for the extreme 2500. How much was the price they quoted you Jones?

They quoted me $700 plus the cost of return shipping for the Extreeme 2500.

Holy crap, that plus the cost of headers and you are getting into the stainless zone.
avatar
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-07-15
Age : 49
Location : Lafayette, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  TravisRice on November 26th 2015, 9:32 pm

$700 plus shipping is a ridiculous price. I can almost guarantee that Jet-hot won't stand behind thier product if there is a future problem. This is from past experiences with them. I personally won't use them but to each thier own. I can get better service and a better product elsewhere at half the cost than jet-hot.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1129
Join date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  richter69 on November 26th 2015, 9:58 pm

BBQ grill paint ftw......
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  David Willingham on December 1st 2015, 10:30 pm

Back in 2011 or 2012, I shipped my new headers and collectors to NitroPlate. They do look good. But the coating is flaking off and they are rusty underneath. They started rusting before I even ran the truck. The truck sits in my heated shop all the time.
avatar
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 495
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 46
Location : Blountsville, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  SandHillsHillbilly on December 1st 2015, 11:04 pm

Contact Russ Meeks at Finish Line Coatings. I have never used him but have seen examples of his work.
http://finishlinecoatings.com/
avatar
SandHillsHillbilly

Posts : 225
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : South Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  gmsmkr on December 2nd 2015, 12:11 am

richter69 wrote:BBQ grill paint ftw......

^^^^^ this 100%
avatar
gmsmkr

Posts : 1364
Join date : 2014-06-22
Location : alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: No more Nitro Plate

Post  jones on December 2nd 2015, 1:09 am

I wonder how galvanizing would hold up under heat? scratch I send a lot of parts to be hot dip galvanized, I could just throw them in on one of the shipments! Laughing
I don't know what to do. The folks at Jet Hot got me scared of the polished coating. I really have to have the headers coated, I just wouldn't be happy if I just paint them with a rattle can!


jones

Posts : 2212
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Philadelphia, MS.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum