460 In 68coupe

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

460 In 68coupe

Post  stanger68 on December 6th 2015, 10:20 am

I am wanting to upgrade from FE In a 68 mustang. I just recently discovered the header/engine mount kits available. This has gotten me looking at the 557. Has any one out there done this combo? At least the 460 block part. Looking for some insight on will an aftermarket starter fit with the headers, am I stuck with the factory heads? If at a later date decide to upgrade to head with raised floor will they hit, etc. etc.

The fartherest I have got so far is letting the donor engine hang in there. No doubt it is TIGHT.

stanger68

Posts : 196
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  dr's wife racing on December 6th 2015, 10:39 am

I think a 68 is basically the same as a 69. I had one with stock type front end. Headers and starter was not a prob. I forgot the name of the swap headers I used. The company was in Mi. I had stock type heads. My best advice if the bays are the same would be to cut and narrow the shock towers and use a motor plate. Otherwise they are miserable to work on. I don't know about aftermarket heads. Hood clearence becomes a problem quickly prob not a issue on a race car. I had trouble finding a oil pan. Best I found was a CJ pan. Hope this helps.
avatar
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  stanger68 on December 6th 2015, 11:47 am

not going to cut shocktowers. that part doesn't look any worse than a 390 to me. It's the length and height where it gets really tight. And you're right, I'm not worried about the hood part.

Probably going to be solid mounts for this one, Shooting for 800 HP min. Overall I am transforming a street car to mostly track or pro street style car. Have not picked a class or anything like that. Looking for a 5.00 pass.

stanger68

Posts : 196
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  BOSS 429 on December 6th 2015, 2:55 pm

I have done this swap a few times, hooker makes a header, stock starter works fine
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2194
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  rmcomprandy on December 6th 2015, 3:51 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:I think a 68 is basically the same as a 69. I had one with stock type front end. Headers and starter was not a prob. I forgot the name of the swap headers I used. The company was in Mi.  I had stock type heads. My best advice if the bays are the same would be to cut and narrow the shock towers and use a motor plate. Otherwise they are miserable to work on. I don't know about aftermarket heads.  Hood clearence becomes a problem quickly prob not a issue on a race car. I had trouble finding a oil pan. Best I found was a CJ pan. Hope this helps.

That Michigan header company is www.maddogheaders.net  by Mark Delcamp, They now have an outlet in Georgia.

Part #8008 will fit 67-70 Mustangs with a 429/460 Wedge engine and using the Ford Racing oil filter adapter.
2" primary tubes with 3 1/2" collectors having the rear tube on each side , crossing sides underneith.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4981
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  res0rli9 on December 6th 2015, 4:49 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dr's wife racing wrote:I think a 68 is basically the same as a 69. I had one with stock type front end. Headers and starter was not a prob. I forgot the name of the swap headers I used. The company was in Mi.  I had stock type heads. My best advice if the bays are the same would be to cut and narrow the shock towers and use a motor plate. Otherwise they are miserable to work on. I don't know about aftermarket heads.  Hood clearence becomes a problem quickly prob not a issue on a race car. I had trouble finding a oil pan. Best I found was a CJ pan. Hope this helps.

That Michigan header company is www.maddogheaders.net  by Mark Delcamp, They now have an outlet in Georgia.

Part #8008 will fit 67-70 Mustangs with a 429/460 Wedge engine and using the Ford Racing oil filter adapter.
2" primary tubes with 3 1/2" collectors having the rear tube on each side , crossing sides underneith.

Randy have you used these & if so how much ground clearance do they have?

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3334
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 68
Location : sarasota FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  rmcomprandy on December 6th 2015, 5:17 pm

res0rli9 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dr's wife racing wrote:I think a 68 is basically the same as a 69. I had one with stock type front end. Headers and starter was not a prob. I forgot the name of the swap headers I used. The company was in Mi.  I had stock type heads. My best advice if the bays are the same would be to cut and narrow the shock towers and use a motor plate. Otherwise they are miserable to work on. I don't know about aftermarket heads.  Hood clearence becomes a problem quickly prob not a issue on a race car. I had trouble finding a oil pan. Best I found was a CJ pan. Hope this helps.

That Michigan header company is www.maddogheaders.net  by Mark Delcamp, They now have an outlet in Georgia.

Part #8008 will fit 67-70 Mustangs with a 429/460 Wedge engine and using the Ford Racing oil filter adapter.
2" primary tubes with 3 1/2" collectors having the rear tube on each side , crossing sides underneith.

Randy have you used these & if so how much ground clearance do they have?

The sump on the required front sump oil pan will be closer to the ground than the header tubes.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4981
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  res0rli9 on December 6th 2015, 5:54 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
res0rli9 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
dr's wife racing wrote:I think a 68 is basically the same as a 69. I had one with stock type front end. Headers and starter was not a prob. I forgot the name of the swap headers I used. The company was in Mi.  I had stock type heads. My best advice if the bays are the same would be to cut and narrow the shock towers and use a motor plate. Otherwise they are miserable to work on. I don't know about aftermarket heads.  Hood clearence becomes a problem quickly prob not a issue on a race car. I had trouble finding a oil pan. Best I found was a CJ pan. Hope this helps.

That Michigan header company is www.maddogheaders.net  by Mark Delcamp, They now have an outlet in Georgia.

Part #8008 will fit 67-70 Mustangs with a 429/460 Wedge engine and using the Ford Racing oil filter adapter.
2" primary tubes with 3 1/2" collectors having the rear tube on each side , crossing sides underneith.

Randy have you used these & if so how much ground clearance do they have?

The sump on the required front sump oil pan will be closer to the ground than the header tubes.

Thanks Randy. Cool

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3334
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 68
Location : sarasota FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  stanger68 on December 6th 2015, 10:12 pm

How much hp is it going to take to get that car into the low to mid 5's? 1/8 mi. Oh, and thanks for the input, going to check on mr. mad dog now.


Last edited by stanger68 on December 6th 2015, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

stanger68

Posts : 196
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  dr's wife racing on December 6th 2015, 11:04 pm

It is worse than a FE. Plugs are difficult to get to not alot just a little here and a little there The headers are fine as far as install clearance was fine. It was just difficult as far as maintenance goes. Be careful when you fitting everything up. Valvle covers ect. or you find yourself having to take the valve covers off to do almost anything. Some are harder than others i font the morso stamped to be easiest for tall covers factory type CJs for standard height Sounds like no big deal but is a challenge at the track when every thing is 300 deg. And your in a hurry. Plugs, plug wires ect. One of the most helpfully things I found was the shock tower braces that have heims and quick pins.
avatar
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  cool40 on December 6th 2015, 11:34 pm

Power brakes gota go,relocate the oil filter,crossmember had to come out on mine also and tall Motorsport valve covers make plug changes a pia,pull them off its easier! The 3/8 hose for plug removal was great. Laughing I ran that setup for years but damn if I'd ever go through that again!
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  cletus66 on December 7th 2015, 8:57 am

I bought the motor and trans mounts and dropped a core motor/trans in to take a look. In the end, I went with a stroker Windsor for this car.







The Windsor fit much better.


avatar
cletus66

Posts : 796
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 51
Location : Charles City, Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  4thHorseman on December 7th 2015, 1:31 pm

I ran my first 460 combo in my '69 Mach 1 without cutting back the shock towers. Checking/changing spark plugs meant removing the valve covers. Obviously on a drag car where you want to be on top of your tune up this gets old pretty quick. The factory shock towers started tearing out due to the wheels up launches as well. Cut them back 1.5" on each side and welded in 5/16th steel plate, reinforced it all, and installed a bar that ties the shock towers together. MUCH easier maintenance and no more strength issues. My .02.
avatar
4thHorseman

Posts : 400
Join date : 2009-08-13
Location : Albuquerque, NM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  bbf-falcon on December 7th 2015, 2:19 pm

IWe have done this swap a couple times.One w/71 maverick and 2 w/67 mustang. We used Tubular automotive 10 piece headers.The driver side was worse because of the steering box is in the way.The oil filter adj. adapter will work for the filter. The Mustang was a real pain because we didn't plate the towers.The maverick was a breeze after we plated the towers and moved the steering box over inside the frame to get it out of the way.Don't waste your time w/Crites M Mount kit.Drop the engine in and get the headers and all in place and fab your own mounts up. I wouldn't doit again w/o installing aftermarket front suspension. its a pita.

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  fordguy69 on December 7th 2015, 9:13 pm

Shave the towers.  My 69 has MPG mounts and headers, puts the engine down and forward.  Still have to pull off the valve covers to change plugs, and had to use the early T-bird short water pump.  Probably could have gotten the carb under the hood if I had used a Torquer 2.  I had power brakes on it at first with a notched FMS valve cover, but the cam was too big for them to work anyway, so I went manual.




fordguy69

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  Mark Miller on December 8th 2015, 2:25 am

bbf-falcon wrote:IWe have done this swap a couple times.One w/71 maverick and 2 w/67 mustang. We used Tubular automotive 10 piece headers.The driver side was worse because of the steering box is in the way.The oil filter adj. adapter will work for the filter. The Mustang was a real pain because we didn't plate the towers.The maverick was a breeze after we plated the towers and moved the steering box over inside the frame to get it out of the way.Don't waste your time w/Crites M Mount kit.Drop the engine in and get the headers and all in place and fab your own mounts up. I wouldn't doit again w/o installing aftermarket front suspension. its a pita.

Rick,your Maverick was cool i bet you miss it sometimes!!! Smile Smile Smile

Mark Miller

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  Mark Miller on December 8th 2015, 2:27 am

fordguy69 wrote:Shave the towers.  My 69 has MPG mounts and headers, puts the engine down and forward.  Still have to pull off the valve covers to change plugs, and had to use the early T-bird short water pump.  Probably could have gotten the carb under the hood if I had used a Torquer 2.  I had power brakes on it at first with a notched FMS valve cover, but the cam was too big for them to work anyway, so I went manual.




Very nice and clean looking what air cleaner set up is that?

Mark Miller

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  fordguy69 on December 8th 2015, 7:29 am

Its made by Air Raid. Found it on Summit when I was poking around looking for something that would allow me to make the smallest hole in the hood.


fordguy69

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  stanger68 on December 8th 2015, 9:18 am

that is one of the big questions I had was if the tall valve covers would fit at all. You are correct, reading plugs would be time consuming if you have to take valve coversoff.

stanger68

Posts : 196
Join date : 2015-12-05
Location : Birmingham, Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  4thHorseman on December 8th 2015, 11:44 am

Couple pics of how I did mine.  You can kind of see the plates where I notched it. Old single stage setup.



avatar
4thHorseman

Posts : 400
Join date : 2009-08-13
Location : Albuquerque, NM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  maverick on December 8th 2015, 4:43 pm

stanger68 wrote:that is one of the big questions I had was if the tall valve covers would fit at all. You are correct, reading plugs would be time consuming if you have to take valve coversoff.

You might try the same deal I did on a buddy's car.  Take off the front tires and use a holesaw to put a couple of well placed holes in the shock tower from the wheelwell side.  Plastic snap in body plugs will fill the holes until you want to pop 'em out and slip a socket through the hole and onto the spark plug. Wink
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  bbf-falcon on December 8th 2015, 6:04 pm

Mark Miller wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:IWe have done this swap a couple times.One w/71 maverick and 2 w/67 mustang. We used Tubular automotive 10 piece headers.The driver side was worse because of the steering box is in the way.The oil filter adj. adapter will work for the filter. The Mustang was a real pain because we didn't plate the towers.The maverick was a breeze after we plated the towers and moved the steering box over inside the frame to get it out of the way.Don't waste your time w/Crites M Mount kit.Drop the engine in and get the headers and all in place and fab your own mounts up. I wouldn't doit again w/o installing aftermarket front suspension. its a pita.

Rick,your Maverick was cool i bet you miss it sometimes!!! Smile Smile Smile

Yes,everyday Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  dr's wife racing on December 8th 2015, 11:07 pm

Shaving the towers like that is what I was talking about. Those are some good looking set ups. I kept mine a long time. I skined a lot of hands on mine. Good luck with it. I'll be watching your build up. Ive seen some aftermarket k members similar to fox bodys wonder if something like that might be helpful.
avatar
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  Mark Miller on December 9th 2015, 2:21 am

fordguy69 wrote:Its made by Air Raid.  Found it on Summit when I was poking around looking for something that would allow me to make the smallest hole in the hood.


Thanks

Mark Miller

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 460 In 68coupe

Post  Mark Miller on December 9th 2015, 2:23 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:IWe have done this swap a couple times.One w/71 maverick and 2 w/67 mustang. We used Tubular automotive 10 piece headers.The driver side was worse because of the steering box is in the way.The oil filter adj. adapter will work for the filter. The Mustang was a real pain because we didn't plate the towers.The maverick was a breeze after we plated the towers and moved the steering box over inside the frame to get it out of the way.Don't waste your time w/Crites M Mount kit.Drop the engine in and get the headers and all in place and fab your own mounts up. I wouldn't doit again w/o installing aftermarket front suspension. its a pita.

Rick,your Maverick was cool i bet you miss it sometimes!!! Smile Smile Smile

Yes,everyday Very Happy

That car made many passes down National Trail Raceway in the time you had it!!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Mark Miller

Posts : 1299
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum