Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  Frank Merkl on February 28th 2016, 3:34 am

Anyone play with putting a torrington bearing on the front of the crank registered in the front main to control crank thrust ? Been playing with converter charge pressure , I can get the converters to go less than 1% slip but then we kill the thrust bearing
Frank
avatar
Frank Merkl

Posts : 1346
Join date : 2008-12-17
Age : 61
Location : Brooks ,Alberta ,Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  rmcomprandy on February 28th 2016, 10:29 am

Frank Merkl wrote:Anyone play with putting a torrington bearing on the front of the crank registered in the front main to control crank thrust ? Been playing with converter charge pressure , I can get the converters to go less than 1% slip but then we kill the thrust bearing
Frank

Sounds as if it needs a stiffer converter housing which doesn't expand.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4793
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  whatbumper on February 28th 2016, 10:33 am

Welcome to the turbo worlds issues. Yes by all means torrington bearings help tremendously. Pretty much a standard in any serious turbo or blower motor. With valving and converter charge manipulation it would help in all motors.

whatbumper

Posts : 3020
Join date : 2009-11-11
Age : 37

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  richter69 on February 28th 2016, 11:43 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
Frank Merkl wrote:Anyone play with putting a torrington bearing on the front of the crank registered in the front main to control crank thrust ? Been playing with converter charge pressure , I can get the converters to go less than 1% slip but then we kill the thrust bearing
Frank

Sounds as if it needs a stiffer converter housing which doesn't expand.

Thats not the issue, high converter charge press acts like a hyd bottle jack and pushes the converter away from the pump
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 46
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  jbozzelle on February 28th 2016, 12:14 pm

Keith Fulp mentioned the other day he had some pics of a setup you're asking about.

jbozzelle

Posts : 3390
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 43
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torrington bearing to control crank thrust

Post  torino501 on February 29th 2016, 10:18 am

richter69 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Frank Merkl wrote:Anyone play with putting a torrington bearing on the front of the crank registered in the front main to control crank thrust ? Been playing with converter charge pressure , I can get the converters to go less than 1% slip but then we kill the thrust bearing
Frank

Sounds as if it needs a stiffer converter housing which doesn't expand.

Thats not the issue, high converter charge press acts like a hyd bottle jack and pushes the converter away from the pump

wow never looked at it that way... crazy. what kind of press are we talking about here?

torino501

Posts : 358
Join date : 2013-05-08
Location : THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum