16 volt Battery troubles

Go down

16 volt Battery troubles

Post  sg86coupe on May 10th 2016, 9:42 pm

So Saturday I'm thinking I finally have all the bugs out, ready to race. 1 st round I'm 008 in the tree, dead 3. I'm thinking every body else is in trouble. 2 nd round battery is so dead will not turn over motor. Battery was bought new in November and has been on charger since unless car is running, even between rounds. Put it on charge when I got home, next morning charging light is off. I assume battery charged back up. During the same time the battery died the water pump died also. Did not blow fuse or trip relay. Could the water pump of killed the battery? If so how do I check battery for damage?

sg86coupe

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  FalconEh on May 10th 2016, 11:17 pm

sg86coupe wrote:So Saturday I'm thinking I finally have all the bugs out, ready to race. 1 st round I'm 008 in the tree, dead 3. I'm thinking every body else is in trouble. 2 nd round battery is so dead will not turn over motor. Battery was bought new in November and has been on charger since unless car is running, even between rounds. Put it on charge when I got home, next morning charging light is off. I assume battery charged back up. During the same time the battery died the water pump died also. Did not blow fuse or trip relay. Could the water pump of killed the battery? If so how do I check battery for damage?    

Right kind of lights on the tree Cool As for the battery what kind of charger do you have? Depending on the charger some will move into trickle mode and just upkeep the battery when it needs it, and some will just boil it until it is toast. Unless there is a wiring problem the waterpump is likely not the culprit, however anything is possible I could kill it with a screwdriver and a spark show. I would use a proper charger with a recondition circuit and see if the battery recovers or goes into fault mode, if you bought it in November it should be under warranty but you will need to do some parasitic draw testing on the car and look closer at the charger, a good battery with a good charging system will usually have the ability to charge enough in 30 seconds to refire on its own after recovering from a sub start draw issue.
avatar
FalconEh

Posts : 1425
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  cool40 on May 11th 2016, 12:42 am

If you charge between rounds are you making sure to kill the power to the car? If not this may be the water pump issue. Suspect
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7165
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  sg86coupe on May 11th 2016, 5:21 pm

The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

sg86coupe

Posts : 183
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  whatbumper on May 11th 2016, 7:50 pm

sg86coupe wrote:The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

16, no.

The 18 plus while charging, yes.

whatbumper

Posts : 3023
Join date : 2009-11-11
Age : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 16 volt Battery troubles

Post  cool40 on May 11th 2016, 11:33 pm

whatbumper wrote:
sg86coupe wrote:The charger is the right one, bought it with battery. And no I did not turn off the kill switch between rounds. So your saying 16 volts is hard on water pumps?

16, no.

The 18 plus while charging, yes.
pale yes it will burn it up,so I've been told.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7165
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum