Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Go down

Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  strokedmyford on May 16th 2016, 3:30 pm

I have on hand a flat top 502 short block going to be used for a propane build that never happened. I have a customer wanting a BBF for his daily driver 4X4, he was wanting to run pump gas. I was thinking of using some 95cc edelbrocks, .080 head gaskets to get the compression down. My concern is using a thicker head gasket to achieve my goals going to cause other issues with the large quench distance? I don't have a camshaft yet but I'm thinking it will be on the small side for good drivability. Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.
strokedmyford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  rmcomprandy on May 16th 2016, 3:53 pm

strokedmyford wrote: I have on hand a flat top 502 short block going to be used for a propane build that never happened. I have a customer wanting a BBF for his daily driver 4X4, he was wanting to run pump gas. I was thinking of using some 95cc edelbrocks, .080 head gaskets to get the compression down. My concern is using a thicker head gasket to achieve my goals going to cause other issues with the large quench distance? I don't have a camshaft yet but I'm thinking it will be on the small side for good drivability. Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.

YES ... any more total quench clearance than about .065" will have almost no quench benefit at all.

rmcomprandy

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  strokedmyford on May 18th 2016, 9:58 am

Thanks for the reply.
strokedmyford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum