BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement

2 posters

Go down

460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement Empty 460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement

Post  motorcraft88 May 25th 2016, 11:14 pm

Hi,
I
I am freshing up my 460, and after pulling off the stock front sump pan and looking at the mangled rails from 40 years of existence I decided to replace the pan with a stock replacement milodon part number 30745, thats when things went wrong..

I discovered the stock pick up hit the pan by about 3.8 of an inch.

So I made some calls, and did some research and found milodon makes a pick up just for this pan Milodon PN 18645, and ordered it.

It arrived monday only to find out i could push it into the pump with my fingers, and it simply would fall out with little effort.

So, not being the person who rebuild the engine the first time, to eliminate all possibilities I ordered a new Melling M84 pump, thinking that was the issue. Wrong, same result new pump versus old.

So then I called Milodon they said call back the company who I bought it from and get another one, must have been a manufacturing oops.

Tonight got the new replacement 18645, and the same result.

Back on the phone with summit, they recommend I braze it in, I have not brazed in 20 years and was not thrilled with that response. So I called Milodon, and their response was tack the pump and pickup with a mig welder.

Everything I have read from melling, and even on the milodon site they don't recommend welding the cast pump.

The milodon pickup is a snug fit, but by no means a press in fit.

I ordered another pickup from a different vendor today, thinking it might be just a batch related thing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

motorcraft88

Back to top Go down

460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement Empty Re: 460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement

Post  BOSS 429 May 26th 2016, 8:05 am

ya , you have a bunch of wrong stuff

does your pan have a baffle in it? milodon doesn't make a stock replacement pan to speak of,

cj and scj factory pans are deeper

truck pans are not as deep

cj scj takes a diff pump,and pickup tube, because pan is a little deeper, which takes a bolt on tube

stock 460s use a push in tube, and they don't just slide in loose

And for the push in ones I mig weld them in all the time, no big deal

you have to watch the depth, wrong tube with wrong pan and it will block off the oil, wrong pan with wrong tube and it will starve for oil in turns, or stopping

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement Empty Re: 460 Oil pan-pick up woes milodon stock replacement

Post  motorcraft88 May 26th 2016, 4:42 pm

Thanks BOSS 429!

I first tried the generic jegs 460 pan, but didn't really even consider installing it after looking at the rails.

My original set up (the way i bought it) it appears the stock press in screen was riding on the bottom of the pan as well.

Hopefully the replacements ordered yesterday are here tomorrow so I can get it together over the weekend

motorcraft88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down