New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on May 30th 2016, 11:56 am

Hey guys, new to the site but been lurking and learning on here for quite a while.

Name is Matt and currently live in Pensacola.  Active duty Navy 24 yrs and counting, and have lived both coasts and in between.

Have a yellow '56 F100 pickup with a 466, C6 with 3k stall, Gear Vendors overdrive, 9 inch with 4.11s, M/T 325 drag radials.  Has Mustang II front and leafs in the rear. It's 99% street use with occasional test-n-tune at the track.

Nothing exotic about the motor.  Pulled a 429 and c6 from '71 tbird, used early truck 460 crank & rods, small dish piston to get around 9.8, D0VE-C heads with 2.19 & 1.76 and some work on the exhaust ports.
Had it built almost 15 years ago and used an Edelbrock rpm cam and rpm intake.  Sanderson shorty headers and 3" exhaust thru a pair of Flowmaster Super 40s (I know......but I love the sound).

Last trip to Atmore she ran 7.84 @ 86 with a 1.70 sixty.  Pretty happy with that considering it was on pump gas with a Holley 770 street avenger and shifting around 5800.  

I look forward to learning more from the BBF gurus on this site!


Last edited by MattWax on May 30th 2016, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  windsor on May 30th 2016, 1:00 pm

Welcome! Sounds like a great running combo for the parts. Need pictures!!!
windsor
windsor

Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-08-09
Location : St. Pete/Northern Va.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  Dave C. on May 30th 2016, 1:15 pm

Welcome and thank you for serving our country.

Dave C.

Posts : 1268
Join date : 2013-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on May 30th 2016, 1:50 pm

windsor wrote:Welcome!  Sounds like a great running combo for the parts.  Need pictures!!!

Dave C. wrote:Welcome and thank you for serving our country.

Thanks fellas!  Will try to get a few pics up. Cool
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  DFI429 on May 30th 2016, 1:55 pm

Welcome.. cool setup.. Pics?

And a salute to ya.. 20yrs AF/ANG myself Cool
DFI429
DFI429

Posts : 452
Join date : 2009-08-17
Age : 41
Location : Westfield, MA

View user profile http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Pics

Post  MattWax on May 30th 2016, 2:24 pm

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  windsor on May 30th 2016, 2:34 pm

Sweeeet ride!

Hooyah! (From a former Marine)
windsor
windsor

Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-08-09
Location : St. Pete/Northern Va.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on May 30th 2016, 2:37 pm

DFI429 wrote:Welcome.. cool setup.. Pics?

And a salute to ya.. 20yrs AF/ANG myself Cool

windsor wrote:Sweeeet ride!

Hooyah! (From a former Marine)

Thanks, Brothers!!
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  maverick on May 31st 2016, 6:13 pm

Very cool truck!

If you're at Atmore on race days (Saturdays) be sure to look me up. It's not hard to spot the white Maverick. Suspect
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on May 31st 2016, 7:08 pm

maverick wrote:Very cool truck!

If you're at Atmore on  race days (Saturdays) be sure to look me up. It's not hard to spot the white Maverick. Suspect

Thanks much!  Will definitely come find you when I make it to the track on a Saturday Cool
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  FalconEh on May 31st 2016, 11:21 pm

Beautiful truck!
If I had to guess i would say it is a 2/4 pin Traction Loc as it appears to be throwing all the power to the right rear tire. Welcome.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Posts : 1434
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on June 1st 2016, 9:16 am

FalconEh wrote:Beautiful truck!
       If I had to guess i would say it is a 2/4 pin Traction Loc as it appears to be throwing all the power to the right rear tire. Welcome.

Haha! You must've spotted it during one of the whopping 2 times I've had it at Atmore.  It hooked good on a Sunday test n tune, although my dad pointed out that I was only getting the back right hot.  It ran a bunch of 7.8s that day with consistent 1.70-1.71 sixty ft.  The only other time was at the big Gasser race last fall when they stopped racing for a bit and let the street car guys make some passes.  I had put my BG gold claw 850 carb on it and blew the tires off on both passes. Think it went 8.40 and 8.60 or some crap like that.  Worst part was all my buddies were there watching....  Need to learn how to launch it with the big carb.  Wth the little 770 I just mash it off idle and it works good.

I really need to put a decent third member in it.  I ran out of money when I did the mini-tubs and narrowed rear. It's just a regular passenger car case with a trac-loc.  It works like a champ when I play hard on the street, but the left just sits there in the burnout box.
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  supervel45 on June 1st 2016, 9:58 am

Throw some fresh clutchs and maybe a shim in that Traction Lock and it will be OK. Nice Ride.

supervel45

Posts : 3085
Join date : 2013-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  FalconEh on June 1st 2016, 10:21 pm

MattWax wrote:
FalconEh wrote:Beautiful truck!
       If I had to guess i would say it is a 2/4 pin Traction Loc as it appears to be throwing all the power to the right rear tire. Welcome.

Haha! You must've spotted it during one of the whopping 2 times I've had it at Atmore.  It hooked good on a Sunday test n tune, although my dad pointed out that I was only getting the back right hot.  It ran a bunch of 7.8s that day with consistent 1.70-1.71 sixty ft.  The only other time was at the big Gasser race last fall when they stopped racing for a bit and let the street car guys make some passes.  I had put my BG gold claw 850 carb on it and blew the tires off on both passes. Think it went 8.40 and 8.60 or some crap like that.  Worst part was all my buddies were there watching....  Need to learn how to launch it with the big carb.  Wth the little 770 I just mash it off idle and it works good.

I really need to put a decent third member in it.  I ran out of money when I did the mini-tubs and narrowed rear. It's just a regular passenger car case with a trac-loc.  It works like a champ when I play hard on the street, but the left just sits there in the burnout box.

Nope never seen it run, just a street/strip guys assessment of the first glance of the pics, not always right but usually in the ballpark Very Happy
FalconEh
FalconEh

Posts : 1434
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on June 2nd 2016, 1:06 am

Yea I just noticed in the pic that one tire is worn more than the other.  Don't I feel like an idiot! Very Happy

Thanks guys for the comments on the truck.  I have a lot of history with it.  Sorry for the long post but if you dig stories about gearheads and their hotrods keep on reading..

It belonged to a friend of my dad and I first saw it when I was 14 (I'm 43 now).  It had a 427 FE & C6 in it and he fired it up in the garage and I was in love.  This truck is truly the first hotrod that ruined me for life.
He sold us a project '56 with 9 different colors of paint and Dad used that project to teach me how to build.  We did a 390/C6/9" in that one, painted it '85 Iroc Red, put a set of Cragars on it, and left the straight axle and drum brakes.  I was a dumb teen and sold it in high school.  I started building a couple other F100s as a young squid but had to sell them (PCS moves, had 2 kids, etc).
Dad's buddy called him in 1999 saying he was getting out of the hotrod business and we had first dibs on the yellow truck, so we grabbed it.  He had sold the 427 and put a Y-block back in it.  Truck was pretty good but we've been completely through it during the last 17 years.

Now the other part of the story..  We had a total loss house fire in April 2009 while I was deployed overseas and the one and only family possession that survived the fire was this old Ford truck.  My wife had gotten the kids and the dog out of there and when the firefighters showed up and checked the house for life, they found the '56 in the garage (the attic and roof are already burning above the garage and the power is out) so they popped the garage door release and shoved the '56 out into the driveway and the house burned to the ground.

Sorry again for the book, but some folks get a kick out of the story/history I have with my fireproof '56.

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  FalconEh on June 2nd 2016, 8:28 pm

MattWax wrote:Yea I just noticed in the pic that one tire is worn more than the other.  Don't I feel like an idiot! Very Happy

Thanks guys for the comments on the truck.  I have a lot of history with it.  Sorry for the long post but if you dig stories about gearheads and their hotrods keep on reading..

It belonged to a friend of my dad and I first saw it when I was 14 (I'm 43 now).  It had a 427 FE & C6 in it and he fired it up in the garage and I was in love.  This truck is truly the first hotrod that ruined me for life.
He sold us a project '56 with 9 different colors of paint and Dad used that project to teach me how to build.  We did a 390/C6/9" in that one, painted it '85 Iroc Red, put a set of Cragars on it, and left the straight axle and drum brakes.  I was a dumb teen and sold it in high school.  I started building a couple other F100s as a young squid but had to sell them (PCS moves, had 2 kids, etc).
Dad's buddy called him in 1999 saying he was getting out of the hotrod business and we had first dibs on the yellow truck, so we grabbed it.  He had sold the 427 and put a Y-block back in it.  Truck was pretty good but we've been completely through it during the last 17 years.

Now the other part of the story..  We had a total loss house fire in April 2009 while I was deployed overseas and the one and only family possession that survived the fire was this old Ford truck.  My wife had gotten the kids and the dog out of there and when the firefighters showed up and checked the house for life, they found the '56 in the garage (the attic and roof are already burning above the garage and the power is out) so they popped the garage door release and shoved the '56 out into the driveway and the house burned to the ground.

Sorry again for the book, but some folks get a kick out of the story/history I have with my fireproof '56.

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. <a href=New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Pbucket" />


What a tragic and inspiring experience, that highlights the humanity and dedication of Service Personnel and their willingness to go above and beyond for those they protect. Kudo's to all those who Protect and Serve. An incredible photo of capturing the intensity of the incident.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Posts : 1434
Join date : 2014-08-21
Location : on the blacktop or in the mountains ????

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New guy checking in, Pensacola FL. Empty Re: New guy checking in, Pensacola FL.

Post  MattWax on June 4th 2016, 2:31 pm

Well said!  Those guys were 100% responsible for the hotrod surviving that day.  April 9th '09 was a crazy day there.....around 70 homes were lost in wildfires.

I became buds with the guy who saved my rig.  He got several days underway on an aircraft carrier not long after that. cheers
MattWax
MattWax

Posts : 8
Join date : 2016-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum