Piston to head clearance ?

Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Piston to head clearance ?

Post  whitefield on June 3rd 2016, 12:28 pm

What is the minimum piston to head clearance with a Scatt I beam Rod and J&E flat top piston ? Plan on turning this thing about 7000 rpm may see 7200 . Scatt crank no NOS. Thanks Whitey Cool
whitefield
whitefield

Posts : 2230
Join date : 2009-08-23
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  gt350hr on June 3rd 2016, 1:23 pm

On a steel rod with a JE ( I was there 14 years) I consider .035 the minimum and I prefer .040. .050 on an aluminum rod unless the block is aluminum too.
I should add "however you get it" . Thanks to Cometic there are various thickness gasket available in case the piston is "out" of the block . Saves cutting piston decks , etc.


Last edited by gt350hr on June 3rd 2016, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

gt350hr

Posts : 512
Join date : 2014-08-20
Location : Anaheim , CA

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  away on June 3rd 2016, 3:16 pm

And your head gasket is .040 anyway at least so deck that boitch and get on with it! lol
away
away

Posts : 262
Join date : 2009-10-08
Age : 41
Location : Harrodsburg KY

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  IDT-572 on June 3rd 2016, 5:16 pm

Standard Felpro gasket is .041 thick compressed.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4624
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 58
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  whitefield on June 3rd 2016, 10:49 pm

.020 out of the hole !


Last edited by whitefield on June 5th 2016, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
whitefield
whitefield

Posts : 2230
Join date : 2009-08-23
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 4th 2016, 12:13 am

whitefield wrote:What is the minimum piston to head clearance with a Scatt I beam Rod and J&E flat top piston ? Plan on turning this thing about 7000 rpm may see 7200 . Scatt crank no NOS.  Thanks Whitey Cool

To be honest ... the closest you can get it without making actual contact is best ... every bore size and piston skirt combination will however, be different.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5431
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  whitefield on June 5th 2016, 1:24 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
whitefield wrote:What is the minimum piston to head clearance with a Scatt I beam Rod and J&E flat top piston ? Plan on turning this thing about 7000 rpm may see 7200 . Scatt crank no NOS.  Thanks Whitey Cool

To be honest ... the closest you can get it without making actual contact is best ... every bore size and piston skirt combination will however, be different.

Randy What do you think about running a .062 thick gasket versus the .041 ? The .062 would get me to what the specs for a steel connecting rods. (.040) Also what are your thoughts on COMETIC head gaskets are ? Thanks Whitey
whitefield
whitefield

Posts : 2230
Join date : 2009-08-23
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 5th 2016, 10:48 am

whitefield wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
whitefield wrote:What is the minimum piston to head clearance with a Scatt I beam Rod and J&E flat top piston ? Plan on turning this thing about 7000 rpm may see 7200 . Scatt crank no NOS.  Thanks Whitey Cool

To be honest ... the closest you can get it without making actual contact is best ... every bore size and piston skirt combination will however, be different.

Randy What do you think about running a .062 thick gasket versus the .041 ?  The .062 would get me to what the specs for a steel connecting rods. (.040) Also what are your thoughts on COMETIC head gaskets are ? Thanks Whitey

With race fuel, a wide quench clearance won't make much difference at all.
With octane limited fuel, anything more than about .065" to .070" quench clearance will diminish most of the quench effectiveness.
Quench clearance doesn't really matter how you get it if the head gasket is strong enough to absorb the extra thickness.

For a big block Ford, Victor Reinz offers a big bore head gasket .051" thick, p/n 5973SC.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5431
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  gt350hr on June 6th 2016, 11:25 am

Cometics are awesome. .062 is fine on an iron head . Aluminum heads don't seem to care as much about quench.

gt350hr

Posts : 512
Join date : 2014-08-20
Location : Anaheim , CA

Back to top Go down

Piston to head clearance ? Empty Re: Piston to head clearance ?

Post  whitefield on June 6th 2016, 12:12 pm

gt350hr wrote:         Cometics are awesome. .062 is fine on an iron head . Aluminum heads don't seem to care as much about quench.

Iron block Aluminum heads is what I have. Thanks I am thinking about ordering a set .
whitefield
whitefield

Posts : 2230
Join date : 2009-08-23
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum