A460 tunnel ram

Go down

A460 tunnel ram

Post  cool40 on June 12th 2016, 8:03 pm

I have thought about this a while back but didn't act on it. Today I pulled the intake because of the water leak issue and the subject crossed my mind again. I have been running the short runner newer style on my 605 but I wonder how the old longer runner intake would do. it'll have the same MFI enderle setup. It makes its power now from 6800-7800 and I'd be ok with more midrange and little less rpm. Opinions study
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  rmcomprandy on June 12th 2016, 9:38 pm

cool40 wrote:I have thought about this a while back but didn't act on it. Today I pulled the intake because of the water leak issue and the subject crossed my mind again. I have been running the short runner newer style on my 605 but I wonder how the old longer runner intake would do. it'll have the same MFI enderle setup. It makes its power now from 6800-7800 and I'd be ok with more midrange and little less rpm. Opinions study

With that size engine it would have more torque below about 5,700 to 5,900 RPM and a little less above it.  Therefore, peak power would probably happen about 300 RPM sooner; (and because it is at a lower RPM there would not be as much total peak horsepower).

Personally, I think I would try a smaller primary tube header with a 4" collector of the correct length.


Last edited by rmcomprandy on June 12th 2016, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  68formalGT on June 12th 2016, 9:42 pm

avatar
68formalGT

Posts : 774
Join date : 2012-02-13
Location : Pueblo West, Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  cool40 on June 12th 2016, 10:55 pm

yep just like it but it has an enderle adapter top.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  cool40 on June 12th 2016, 10:58 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
cool40 wrote:I have thought about this a while back but didn't act on it. Today I pulled the intake because of the water leak issue and the subject crossed my mind again. I have been running the short runner newer style on my 605 but I wonder how the old longer runner intake would do. it'll have the same MFI enderle setup. It makes its power now from 6800-7800 and I'd be ok with more midrange and little less rpm. Opinions study

With that size engine it would have more torque below about 5,700 to 5,900 RPM and a little less above it.  Therefore, peak power would probably happen about 300 RPM sooner; (and because it is at a lower RPM there would not be as much total peak horsepower).

Personally, I think I would try a smaller primary tube header with a 4" collector of the correct length.
I have regretted the 2.5" headers ever since the first time I heard it run,fender exits all together. IMO it sounds like $hit unless its hammered.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  samiam on June 13th 2016, 12:36 am

cool40 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
cool40 wrote:I have thought about this a while back but didn't act on it. Today I pulled the intake because of the water leak issue and the subject crossed my mind again. I have been running the short runner newer style on my 605 but I wonder how the old longer runner intake would do. it'll have the same MFI enderle setup. It makes its power now from 6800-7800 and I'd be ok with more midrange and little less rpm. Opinions study

With that size engine it would have more torque below about 5,700 to 5,900 RPM and a little less above it.  Therefore, peak power would probably happen about 300 RPM sooner; (and because it is at a lower RPM there would not be as much total peak horsepower).

Personally, I think I would try a smaller primary tube header with a 4" collector of the correct length.
I have regretted the 2.5" headers ever since the first time I heard it run,fender exits all together. IMO it sounds like $hit unless its hammered.

what size header do you think would be best performance wise, as I am in the proccess of building a 604, I have the old style tunnel ram also with the TF 340 head combo, or would the TF manifold be a better combo, running 7200 ish max.. ?
avatar
samiam

Posts : 218
Join date : 2011-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  cool40 on June 13th 2016, 1:10 am

7200 rpm I'd go with 2 1/4 and longish tubes Laughing all combos aren't the same but for reference I'm shifting @7800 with this short runner TR.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  68formalGT on June 13th 2016, 1:30 am

What kind of power/torque do you make?
avatar
68formalGT

Posts : 774
Join date : 2012-02-13
Location : Pueblo West, Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A460 tunnel ram

Post  cool40 on June 13th 2016, 8:14 am

68formalGT wrote:What kind of power/torque do you make?
no dyno numbers but based on et and weight it's making 1100 hp or more.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum