BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating..

+2
bosshoss
Mustang-junky
6 posters

Go down

Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating.. Empty Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating..

Post  Mustang-junky September 7th 2016, 12:16 am

I just ordered some valve springs for my 545. Cam calls for 160-170# on the seat and 440# open.

My installed height is 2.020".

Springs I ordered are 171# at 1.950" and 482# at 1.300". Spring rate is 494#.

My cam has about .650" lift, so I would be basically adding .070" height to both the closed and open heights.

Is there a formula to figure out how much rate will be lost when increasing the installed height? Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating.. Empty Re: Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating..

Post  bosshoss September 7th 2016, 1:36 am

you also need to pay some attention to the coil bind number. but basically as a rule the spring rate will not change much so the .070 would run around 35 lbs give or take...

Why not just shim the spring or install a different set of keepers???

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating.. Empty Re: Affect of valve spring install height on spring rating..

Post  rmcomprandy September 7th 2016, 8:54 am

The spring rate is "per inch" so .100" difference in spring height would add or subtract 1/10 of that amount; do the math from there.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 7th 2016, 9:16 am

Looks like you need a +.050 keeper to stay out of coil bind . Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 7th 2016, 10:10 am

Take your net lift @ the valve, add .050", then add the coil bind height of the spring (say for example it's 1.15") and that would give you your "ideal" installed height.
Example: you have .650 lift, add .05= .700", add 1.15" (coil bind) = 1.85 would be your ideal installed height. I like to get springs installed at < .100" from coil bind as a max. I also check coil bind in the vise with a retainer installed. It's usually less than the advertized CB.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 7th 2016, 11:27 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:Take your net lift @ the valve, add .050", then add the coil bind height of the spring (say for example it's 1.15") and that would give you your "ideal" installed height.
Example: you have .650 lift, add .05= .700", add 1.15" (coil bind) = 1.85 would be your ideal installed height. I like to get springs installed at < .100" from coil bind as a max. I also check coil bind in the vise with a retainer installed. It's usually less than the advertized CB.

The biggest issue there, is that I have readily seen .020" difference in the coil bind height within the same set of valve springs; you really need to check them all when getting under .090" from bind.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 7th 2016, 12:34 pm

Yep, the published coil bind ht. is not always the same as what it checks in the field.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky September 7th 2016, 3:05 pm

bosshoss wrote:you also need to pay some attention to the coil bind number. but basically as a rule the spring rate will not change much so the .070 would run around 35 lbs give or take...

dkp

Thanks. I was actually looking to loose a little spring pressure, so the added height is fine with me. Motor will peak around 5800rpm and I am using Titanium retainers(already had them), so I think I'll be okay. Unless Someone tells me otherwise. I just wanted to know about where I'd be with these springs.

I'll try Randy's formula too.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 7th 2016, 3:18 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:Take your net lift @ the valve, add .050", then add the coil bind height of the spring (say for example it's 1.15") and that would give you your "ideal" installed height.

The biggest issue there, is that I have readily seen .020" difference in the coil bind height within the same set of valve springs; you really need to check them all when getting under .090" from bind.
Yeah, that's why I like to check. I should have been more clear and said to use the "advertized" coil bind height, then add .05. That will still usually get you < .100" to CB.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 7th 2016, 3:26 pm

Mustang-junky wrote:
bosshoss wrote:you also need to pay some attention to the coil bind number. but basically as a rule the spring rate will not change much so the .070 would run around 35 lbs give or take...

dkp

Thanks.  I was actually looking to loose a little spring pressure, so the added height is fine with me.  Motor will peak around 5800rpm and I am using Titanium retainers(already had them), so I think I'll be okay.  Unless Someone tells me otherwise.  I just wanted to know about where I'd be with these springs.

Jess
Your rate is 494. Just multiply that times the amount of change to get the change in pressure. Lets say you add a .06 shim. 494 x .06 = 29.64. You just increased your pressure by 29.64 lbs.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky September 7th 2016, 9:46 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:
Mustang-junky wrote:

dkp

Thanks.  I was actually looking to loose a little spring pressure, so the added height is fine with me.  Motor will peak around 5800rpm and I am using Titanium retainers(already had them), so I think I'll be okay.  Unless Someone tells me otherwise.  I just wanted to know about where I'd be with these springs.

Jess
Your rate is 494. Just multiply that times the amount of change to get the change in pressure. Lets say you add a .06 shim. 494 x .06 = 29.64. You just increased your pressure by 29.64 lbs.

Okay. Got it. Looks like I may shim a bit. Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down