BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

intake with shaker hood

+5
Calypso
rmk57
Lem Evans
jeffgfg
STR-LGL-70
9 posters

Go down

intake with shaker hood Empty intake with shaker hood

Post  STR-LGL-70 November 26th 2016, 11:13 am

Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Anyone know if a stealth will fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sheldon G.
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

intake with shaker hood Empty Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  jeffgfg November 26th 2016, 12:10 pm

Most any intake will work but the height of the intake will be the problem. When I put an 850 holley on my 429SCJ intake in my Torino I had to use a spacer for the secondary accelerator pump to clear and that put the shaker almost out of the hood. the air cleaner assy. just barely cleared the bottom of the hood. Hope this helps.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 26th 2016, 12:18 pm

The two projects that I'm aware of used the Torker II to keep the ht. low.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 November 26th 2016, 1:05 pm

I had a factory 1970 429 SCJ Ranchero years ago and installed an Offenhauser Port-o-sonic and it barely fit. It stretched the shaker rubber seal a little to tight
for my liking so I took it off and went back to the stock intake. The Stealth is one of the taller intakes so I couldn't see it even remotely fitting and use your
shaker assembly.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Calypso November 26th 2016, 1:14 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The two projects that I'm aware of used the Torker II to keep the ht. low.

This.

There's a web article somewhere using BT or Stealth. Requires modification (drop) of the air cleaner base.

Calypso

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 November 26th 2016, 1:58 pm

My current 57 ford has to have a drop base air cleaner, It looks to be about a 1 3/4" drop. One thing I had to do was drill out two holes on the base so it would clear
the float adjusters on a Holley carb, other wise it wouldn't sit flat. I think it's a K&N unit.
Another problem would be where you would bolt on the shaker assembly with a  drop base, there is no provision for the shaker to bolt down to. I guess if your handy with sheet metal fab work and welding you could get something to work.

Heres a link I found on air cleaner mods.........................

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32497

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter November 26th 2016, 5:28 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Thanks,
Sheldon G.

Depending on the state of tune and displacement the torker 2 or even a performer will work with just minor adjustments.

The tall dual planes like the stealth and rpm as well as the victor are no goes.

I've done many combinations for use in shaker cars. The T 2 is a good fit. One client even insisted on the oem SCJ intake for a 521" deal.

S
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 November 27th 2016, 6:44 pm

The Mad Porter wrote:
STR-LGL-70 wrote:Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Thanks,
Sheldon G.

Depending on the state of tune and displacement the torker 2 or even a performer will work with just minor adjustments.

The tall dual planes like the stealth and rpm as well as the victor are no goes.

I've done many combinations for use in shaker cars. The T 2 is a good fit. One client even insisted on the oem SCJ intake for a 521" deal.

S

I seem to recall a large cubic inch build that actually lost horsepower when the shaker became a restriction. It's been a while, and I drink....
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  69BOSS December 7th 2016, 1:27 am

If you go to the 71-73 Mustang mega site, there is a section that details how they modified a ram air base to work with a stealth manifold. The measurements are probably different for the shaker, at least it will be an idea of how to proceed.

I had a 70 Cobra drag pack car back in the late 1970's, although the shaker is cool looking, and a must for that period correct look, it's heavy and restrictive. When I took it to strip, I put a velocity stack on it and it made a noticeable difference.

Staci
69BOSS
69BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 7th 2016, 12:10 pm

Thanks,
Sheldon G.

A "Stealth" will never go under a factory shaker air cleaner and hood.

Use a "Torquer II".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down