intake with shaker hood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

intake with shaker hood

Post  STR-LGL-70 on November 26th 2016, 11:13 am

Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Anyone know if a stealth will fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sheldon G.
avatar
STR-LGL-70

Posts : 119
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 54
Location : Daytona FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  jeffgfg on November 26th 2016, 12:10 pm

Most any intake will work but the height of the intake will be the problem. When I put an 850 holley on my 429SCJ intake in my Torino I had to use a spacer for the secondary accelerator pump to clear and that put the shaker almost out of the hood. the air cleaner assy. just barely cleared the bottom of the hood. Hope this helps.

jeffgfg

Posts : 307
Join date : 2010-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  Lem Evans on November 26th 2016, 12:18 pm

The two projects that I'm aware of used the Torker II to keep the ht. low.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6906
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  rmk57 on November 26th 2016, 1:05 pm

I had a factory 1970 429 SCJ Ranchero years ago and installed an Offenhauser Port-o-sonic and it barely fit. It stretched the shaker rubber seal a little to tight
for my liking so I took it off and went back to the stock intake. The Stealth is one of the taller intakes so I couldn't see it even remotely fitting and use your
shaker assembly.

rmk57

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  Calypso on November 26th 2016, 1:14 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The two projects that I'm aware of used the Torker II to keep the ht. low.

This.

There's a web article somewhere using BT or Stealth. Requires modification (drop) of the air cleaner base.

Calypso

Posts : 48
Join date : 2011-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  rmk57 on November 26th 2016, 1:58 pm

My current 57 ford has to have a drop base air cleaner, It looks to be about a 1 3/4" drop. One thing I had to do was drill out two holes on the base so it would clear
the float adjusters on a Holley carb, other wise it wouldn't sit flat. I think it's a K&N unit.
Another problem would be where you would bolt on the shaker assembly with a  drop base, there is no provision for the shaker to bolt down to. I guess if your handy with sheet metal fab work and welding you could get something to work.

Heres a link I found on air cleaner mods.........................


http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32497

rmk57

Posts : 74
Join date : 2010-05-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  The Mad Porter on November 26th 2016, 5:28 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Anyone know if a stealth will fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sheldon G.

Depending on the state of tune and displacement the torker 2 or even a performer will work with just minor adjustments.

The tall dual planes like the stealth and rpm as well as the victor are no goes.

I've done many combinations for use in shaker cars. The T 2 is a good fit. One client even insisted on the oem SCJ intake for a 521" deal.



S
avatar
The Mad Porter

Posts : 179
Join date : 2009-08-07
Age : 54
Location : Tacoma, Washington

View user profile http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  cletus66 on November 27th 2016, 6:44 pm

The Mad Porter wrote:
STR-LGL-70 wrote:Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Anyone know if a stealth will fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sheldon G.

Depending on the state of tune and displacement the torker 2 or even a performer will work with just minor adjustments.

The tall dual planes like the stealth and rpm as well as the victor are no goes.

I've done many combinations for use in shaker cars. The T 2 is a good fit. One client even insisted on the oem SCJ intake for a 521" deal.



S


I seem to recall a large cubic inch build that actually lost horsepower when the shaker became a restriction. It's been a while, and I drink....
avatar
cletus66

Posts : 776
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 51
Location : Charles City, Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  69BOSS on December 7th 2016, 1:27 am

If you go to the 71-73 Mustang mega site, there is a section that details how they modified a ram air base to work with a stealth manifold. The measurements are probably different for the shaker, at least it will be an idea of how to proceed.

I had a 70 Cobra drag pack car back in the late 1970's, although the shaker is cool looking, and a must for that period correct look, it's heavy and restrictive. When I took it to strip, I put a velocity stack on it and it made a noticeable difference.

Staci
avatar
69BOSS

Posts : 68
Join date : 2014-01-20
Location : Seattle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: intake with shaker hood

Post  rmcomprandy on December 7th 2016, 12:10 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Not really engine tech related but figured someone here would know.
Going to do a 460 swap in my sons 71 torino, already have most shaker stuff and want to run aftermarket intake.
Anyone know if a stealth will fit? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sheldon G.

A "Stealth" will never go under a factory shaker air cleaner and hood.

Use a "Torquer II".

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4762
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum