HOWARD'S roller rockers

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 3rd 2017, 11:15 pm

Any opinions on Howard's roller rockers? Or suggestions for reliable set for .900 lift 7500 RPM engine
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  dfree383 on January 4th 2017, 10:45 am

What heads are you running?
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13306
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 4th 2017, 11:09 am

TFS AHead

dfree383 wrote:What heads are you running?  
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  dfree383 on January 4th 2017, 1:10 pm

csdrag wrote:TFS AHead

dfree383 wrote:What heads are you running?  



If your bent on sticking with the stud mound stuff I'd look at either the Crower Stainless Steel stuff or the Comp Cams pro magnum steel ones.

Other than those I'd look into a shaft system.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13306
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 4th 2017, 8:11 pm

I have looked at the crower rockers and like them but I haven't priced crower stuff. I will check it out. Wish I could find a used set of shaft rockers for sale. I'm not a fan of stud rockers. At least not in the .750" plus range. I'm just doing this on a budget as does everyone and figuring out how I want to spread the wealth. Unless there is a big difference between in price between shafts and crower stuff I will just buy a shaft setup. Tks for input.

dfree383 wrote:
csdrag wrote:TFS AHead

dfree383 wrote:What heads are you running?  



If your bent on sticking with the stud mound stuff I'd look at either the Crower Stainless Steel stuff or the Comp Cams pro magnum steel ones.

Other than those I'd look into a shaft system.
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Paul Kane on January 5th 2017, 8:33 pm

csdrag wrote:Any opinions on Howard's roller rockers?
Produced/private labeled by Scorpion.

csdrag wrote:Or suggestions for reliable set for .900 lift 7500 RPM engine
Definitely not the stud rockers from Scorpion. Personally I will use them on flat tappet cammed engines and that's it (ie, no big-springed roller valve trains).

____________________

Generally speaking, a stud rocker arm system can be suitable and effective on a big springed, high lift cammed engine provided you utilize all the correct and necessary components and the set up is well optimized.
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 707
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Scott Foxwell on January 5th 2017, 8:37 pm

Personally I'd say you could go a long way to re-think your cam. 7500 rpm and .900" lift don't belong in the same sentence.

Scott Foxwell

Posts : 291
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : N/E Tennessee

View user profile http://www.straubtechnologies.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 5th 2017, 9:10 pm

csdrag wrote:I have looked at the crower rockers and like them but I haven't priced crower stuff. I will check it out. Wish I could find a used set of shaft rockers for sale. I'm not a fan of stud rockers. At least not in the .750" plus range. I'm just doing this on a budget as does everyone and figuring out how I want to spread the wealth. Unless there is a big difference between in price between shafts and crower stuff I will just buy a shaft setup. Tks for input.

dfree383 wrote:
csdrag wrote:TFS AHead

dfree383 wrote:What heads are you running?  



If your bent on sticking with the stud mound stuff I'd look at either the Crower Stainless Steel stuff or the Comp Cams pro magnum steel ones.

Other than those I'd look into a shaft system.

What kind of valve spring load does your heads have?

Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  BBFTorino on January 5th 2017, 9:20 pm

If you're going to go .900 lift and 7500+ RPM's, I'd be looking at nothing other than shaft rockers!!

BBFTorino

Posts : 271
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 6th 2017, 12:00 am

BBFTorino wrote:If you're going to go .900 lift and 7500+ RPM's, I'd be looking at nothing other than shaft rockers!!

I suspect he is not.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 6th 2017, 12:15 am

BBFTorino wrote:If you're going to go .900 lift and 7500+ RPM's, I'd be looking at nothing other than shaft rockers!!

.850 lift. I am going to look at the crower SS a little harder but I will probably end up putting shafts on it whether I can find a good used set or just buy new. I'm not wild about stud and girdle set ups. They have there place and work fine in their respective applications but I just like a shaft setup. I want others input on the subject though.
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  tzford on January 7th 2017, 10:39 am

csdrag wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:If you're going to go .900 lift and 7500+ RPM's, I'd be looking at nothing other than shaft rockers!!

.850 lift. I am going to look at the crower SS a little harder but I will probably end up putting shafts on it whether I can find a good used set or just buy new. I'm not wild about stud and girdle set ups. They have there place and work fine in their respective applications but I just like a shaft setup. I want others input on the subject though.
irun w&w they set up is very simple and well worth the money

tzford

Posts : 12
Join date : 2013-07-14
Age : 60
Location : lake luzerne new york

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  QtrWarrior on January 7th 2017, 11:52 am

My 555" Ahead , has Jesel Shaft rockers and has been to 8200
My 615" AHead, Has studs and girdles and has been to 7600-7700..
Both engines over .800' lift

No problems with either... Cool
avatar
QtrWarrior

Posts : 2470
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 58
Location : Bloomingdale, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 12:45 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:My 555" Ahead , has Jesel Shaft rockers and has been to 8200
My 615" AHead, Has studs and girdles and has been to 7600-7700..
Both engines over .800' lift

No problems with either... Cool

Whose dude rockers and girdle are you running?
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 1:35 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:My 555" Ahead , has Jesel Shaft rockers and has been to 8200
My 615" AHead, Has studs and girdles and has been to 7600-7700..
Both engines over .800' lift

No problems with either... Cool

Whose stud rockers and girdle are you running?
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 7th 2017, 1:41 pm

Are your A460 heads the newer one that take the 1.300" threaded studs on the exhaust side?

Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 1:54 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Are your A460 heads the newer one that take the 1.300" threaded studs on the exhaust side?

Lem I just picked them up so I will have to look. I honestly don't know the answer to that. They are 5441t802-m87


Last edited by csdrag on January 7th 2017, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 7th 2017, 2:13 pm

csdrag wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Are your A460 heads the newer one that take the 1.300" threaded studs on the exhaust side?

Len I just picked them up so I will have to look. I honestly don't know the answer to that. They are 5441t802-m87

Should have the long studs.....take them out of the box and look at the studs.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  QtrWarrior on January 7th 2017, 2:16 pm

csdrag wrote:
QtrWarrior wrote:My 555" Ahead , has Jesel Shaft rockers and has been to 8200
My 615" AHead, Has studs and girdles and has been to 7600-7700..
Both engines over .800' lift

No problems with either... Cool

Whose stud rockers and girdle are you running?

Lem can correct me if I'm wrong..

Jomar girdle,( I think) Crower rockers

avatar
QtrWarrior

Posts : 2470
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 58
Location : Bloomingdale, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 7th 2017, 2:21 pm

Sounds right. Do they look like this?


Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 2:29 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:
csdrag wrote:
QtrWarrior wrote:My 555" Ahead , has Jesel Shaft rockers and has been to 8200
My 615" AHead, Has studs and girdles and has been to 7600-7700..
Both engines over .800' lift

No problems with either... Cool

Whose stud rockers and girdle are you running?

Lem can correct me if I'm wrong..

Jomar girdle,( I think) Crower rockers

I would put my faith in the Crower arms.

avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 2:30 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
csdrag wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Are your A460 heads the newer one that take the 1.300" threaded studs on the exhaust side?

Len I just picked them up so I will have to look. I honestly don't know the answer to that. They are 5441t802-m87

Should have the long studs.....take them out of the box and look at the studs.

I'm still traveling back to my shop so I don't have a caliper with me but hey look like 1.300"
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  QtrWarrior on January 7th 2017, 2:41 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Sounds right. Do they look like this?


Yes, That's them !!
avatar
QtrWarrior

Posts : 2470
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 58
Location : Bloomingdale, Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  csdrag on January 7th 2017, 7:39 pm

[quote="Lem Evans"]
csdrag wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Are your A460 heads the newer one that take the 1.300" threaded studs on the exhaust side?

Len I just picked them up so I will have to look. I honestly don't know the answer to that. They are 5441t802-m87

Should have the long studs.....take them out of the box and look at the studs.

Yes they do measure 1.300". What were the older sets? Were they the same as the intakes?
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOWARD'S roller rockers

Post  Lem Evans on January 7th 2017, 7:41 pm

All were the same lenght on the older stuff.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6784
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum