Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 6th 2017, 12:25 am

I edited the title on this thread


Who has a nice off the shelf flat top for an A head? 4.42" Bore


Last edited by csdrag on January 10th 2017, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  fordmonsta on January 6th 2017, 5:28 pm

Icon got a set the other day for 499 a set through cnc motorsports mine were for a 4.500 stroke ic953 was part number

fordmonsta

Posts : 155
Join date : 2012-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 6th 2017, 6:15 pm

fordmonsta wrote:Icon got a set the other day for 499 a set through cnc motorsports mine were for a 4.500 stroke ic953 was part number

I don't know much about icon. Are they a quality piston? Have you used them before? I will look up that number and check them out.
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  fordmonsta on January 6th 2017, 6:20 pm

Yes I've used two sets they are a quality piston for a decent price come with pins Spiro lox and support rails I like em

fordmonsta

Posts : 155
Join date : 2012-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 6th 2017, 8:50 pm

fordmonsta wrote:Yes I've used two sets they are a quality piston for a decent price come with pins Spiro lox and support rails I like em

I don't see any good pics out there. Would like to see what the pin boss and underside of skirt look like. Do you have any pics you could share?

Regards

Chris
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  fordmonsta on January 6th 2017, 10:32 pm

Can't figure out how to post a pic I can email em

fordmonsta

Posts : 155
Join date : 2012-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 6th 2017, 11:40 pm

fordmonsta wrote:Can't figure out how to post a pic I can email em

That would be great. I will try send my email to you in a private message
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 10th 2017, 9:43 pm

Fordmonsta directed me to some off the shelf 4.42" forged pistons from ICON. Thanks for that.  

As far as my search has taken me they seem to be the only manufacturer with this bore with a 1.35" pin height for an A460. Does anyone else have any thoughts to share on these pistons ?  Also would like to hear from someone who may have run these with their proprietary skirt coatings.  I really didn't want to have to order a custom piston for this build or bore it just to get something off the shelf. Hope to hear any pros and cons anyone may have. Tks
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  Lem Evans on January 10th 2017, 11:56 pm

Huh? Diamond got a # for that piston.

Lem Evans

Posts : 6800
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 11th 2017, 1:43 am

Lem Evans wrote:Huh? Diamond got a # for that piston.

So they do....tks for mentioning that I scrolled right past it apparently
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  kjett on January 11th 2017, 8:48 am

Lem Evans wrote:Huh? Diamond got a # for that piston.

Was going to say that I have a set of the Diamonds but they are a small dome. I know it's a shelf deal since I ordered them from Lem, lol
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1088
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  Scott Foxwell on January 11th 2017, 10:05 am

I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

Scott Foxwell

Posts : 312
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : N/E Tennessee

View user profile http://www.straubtechnologies.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 11th 2017, 10:34 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

I talked to them and I also thought they had some nice features especially considering their prices. I'm curious as to the quality control they have. Would you mind sharing more specifically what kind of motors you have seen them in? Any direct experience with them? Tks
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  Scott Foxwell on January 11th 2017, 2:08 pm

csdrag wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

I talked to them and I also thought they had some nice features especially considering their prices. I'm curious as to the quality control they have. Would you mind sharing more specifically what kind of motors you have seen them in?  Any direct experience with them?  Tks
Personally, I did a 491" BB Chev marine engine that probably makes about 700hp, pump gas hyd. roller deal, has run for years. Owner doesn't baby it. Also had a friend who used a set in his ~1K hp blown race boat engine. Not sure if you're familiar with the Grand National boat class. It's an endurance circle circle racing class that's about as hard on engines as any racing venue. These guys spin 7500rpm for 50 miles some times, WFO.

This is the boat:


Scott Foxwell

Posts : 312
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : N/E Tennessee

View user profile http://www.straubtechnologies.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 11th 2017, 3:04 pm

Scott did you do anything with coatings on that BBC build? I haven't been around anything using these skirt coatings they put on now a days. I have seen some stuff apart and it appears there is something to be had from them. Any coatings I used coated the whole piston and definitely worked. Icon says theirs is proprietary but it sounds like the same graphite type coatings many are using. They claim you can tighten up the piston to wall to about .002 and the coating will clearance itself to where it is happy. It interests me because I only have a 6.700 rod and it appears like the skirt may be coming out of the cylinder a bit on this D1VE block.

Scott Foxwell wrote:
csdrag wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

I talked to them and I also thought they had some nice features especially considering their prices. I'm curious as to the quality control they have. Would you mind sharing more specifically what kind of motors you have seen them in?  Any direct experience with them?  Tks
Personally, I did a 491" BB Chev marine engine that probably makes about 700hp, pump gas hyd. roller deal, has run for years. Owner doesn't baby it. Also had a friend who used a set in his ~1K hp blown race boat engine. Not sure if you're familiar with the Grand National boat class. It's an endurance circle circle racing class that's about as hard on engines as any racing venue. These guys spin 7500rpm for 50 miles some times, WFO.

This is the boat:

avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  69F100 on January 11th 2017, 6:28 pm

I am running icon piston in my 552 so far so good I have 4.5 stroke with 6.7 rods turning it 7000 rpm d9 block
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5043
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 50
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  Scott Foxwell on January 11th 2017, 6:36 pm

The pistons used weren't coated. There is only one abraidable (self clearancing) coating that I'm aware of and that's the coating used by Line2line which is proprietary. That would be the only aftermarket skirt coating I would use on a piston. With their coating, you install the pistons with zero clearance. I really don't know anything about the coating that Icon uses. Thermal barrier coating is another thing. I've used that on several builds but only really high rpm, high compression deals or boosted apps.  The piston I use most these days is Mahle and they come with an anti-friction skirt coating along with a phosphate coating over the entire piston.
csdrag wrote:Scott did you do anything with coatings on that BBC build?  I haven't been around anything using these skirt coatings they put on now a days.  I have seen some stuff apart and it appears there is something to be had from them.  Any coatings I used coated the whole piston and definitely worked.  Icon says theirs is proprietary but it sounds like the same graphite type coatings many are using.  They claim you can tighten up the piston to wall to about .002 and the coating will clearance itself to where it is happy.  It interests me because I only have a 6.700 rod and it appears like the skirt may be coming out of the cylinder a bit on this D1VE block.

Scott Foxwell wrote:
csdrag wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

I talked to them and I also thought they had some nice features especially considering their prices. I'm curious as to the quality control they have. Would you mind sharing more specifically what kind of motors you have seen them in?  Any direct experience with them?  Tks
Personally, I did a 491" BB Chev marine engine that probably makes about 700hp, pump gas hyd. roller deal, has run for years. Owner doesn't baby it. Also had a friend who used a set in his ~1K hp blown race boat engine. Not sure if you're familiar with the Grand National boat class. It's an endurance circle circle racing class that's about as hard on engines as any racing venue. These guys spin 7500rpm for 50 miles some times, WFO.

This is the boat:

Scott Foxwell

Posts : 312
Join date : 2011-06-23
Location : N/E Tennessee

View user profile http://www.straubtechnologies.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 11th 2017, 10:40 pm

How long have you been running them? What kind of power do you make? I think the d9 blocks have a little longer bore. I can't remember for sure but I think something like .250" longer. Did you have them coated?

69F100 wrote:I am running icon piston in my 552 so far so good I have 4.5 stroke with 6.7 rods turning it 7000 rpm d9 block
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  csdrag on January 11th 2017, 10:48 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:The pistons used weren't coated. There is only one abraidable (self clearancing) coating that I'm aware of and that's the coating used by Line2line which is proprietary. That would be the only aftermarket skirt coating I would use on a piston. With their coating, you install the pistons with zero clearance. I really don't know anything about the coating that Icon uses. Thermal barrier coating is another thing. I've used that on several builds but only really high rpm, high compression deals or boosted apps.  The piston I use most these days is Mahle and they come with an anti-friction skirt coating along with a phosphate coating over the entire piston.
csdrag wrote:Scott did you do anything with coatings on that BBC build?  I haven't been around anything using these skirt coatings they put on now a days.  I have seen some stuff apart and it appears there is something to be had from them.  Any coatings I used coated the whole piston and definitely worked.  Icon says theirs is proprietary but it sounds like the same graphite type coatings many are using.  They claim you can tighten up the piston to wall to about .002 and the coating will clearance itself to where it is happy.  It interests me because I only have a 6.700 rod and it appears like the skirt may be coming out of the cylinder a bit on this D1VE block.


Scott Foxwell wrote:
csdrag wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:I really like Icon pistons. They are very well made, have some really decent features and are well priced. They have a lot of offerings that you're not going to find "off the shelf" with most other companies. I've seen them used in some really hardcore race engines and they stood up to some serious abuse.

I talked to them and I also thought they had some nice features especially considering their prices. I'm curious as to the quality control they have. Would you mind sharing more specifically what kind of motors you have seen them in?  Any direct experience with them?  Tks
Personally, I did a 491" BB Chev marine engine that probably makes about 700hp, pump gas hyd. roller deal, has run for years. Owner doesn't baby it. Also had a friend who used a set in his ~1K hp blown race boat engine. Not sure if you're familiar with the Grand National boat class. It's an endurance circle circle racing class that's about as hard on engines as any racing venue. These guys spin 7500rpm for 50 miles some times, WFO.

This is the boat:
Line2line may be what they are doing. The rep did mention that it was proprietary to another company but they were set up in house to do the coatings themselves. Can't remember exactly what he said the arrangement was but your description of the process is right in line with what ICON described. Tks for all the responses and sharing the info.
avatar
csdrag

Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-10-19
Age : 42
Location : Indianapolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  69F100 on January 12th 2017, 6:21 am

csdrag wrote:How long have you been running them?  What kind of power do you make?  I think the d9 blocks have a little longer bore. I can't remember for sure but I think something like .250" longer. Did you have them coated?

69F100 wrote:I am running icon piston in my 552 so far so good I have 4.5 stroke with 6.7 rods turning it 7000 rpm d9 block
No mine are not coated I making around 725hp by the times from Wallace Racing calculation.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5043
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 50
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Icon piston thoughts and coatings 4.42"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum